Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 11:24 AM

629 posts, read 400,285 times

Advertisements

This of course is my opinion, but Tampa has very little to buy.

I view Tampa as a city of “almosts.” It’s almost cosmopolitan, it’s almost the largest MSA in Florida, it’s almost coastal (for those in denial, it’s NOT a coastal city). Tampa IMO is a working man/working class “almost” big city.

The majority of the city is unattractive - including South Tampa (I honestly was shocked by this given the home prices in that area), it’s restaurant scene for a city its size is awful and full of chain restaurants, it has extremely poor transit options and probably has the worst sprawl in the entire state (toss up with Orlando’s surrounding areas), the beaches in the area are very susceptible to red tide which is now practically an annual occurrence, hurricanes love warm gulf waters, it flies the world’s second largest confederate flag…I could go on and on honestly so I’ll just leave there for now.

I fail to see the appeal of Tampa honestly. If you want to live in big city, go live in an actual one.

So I actually agree with the link - Tampa is very expensive due to how little it offers and the price it charges for just being “almost there.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko the Sane View Post
For someone who claims to be a landlord, you do a pretty bad job of selling Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 12:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post

I view Tampa as a city of “almosts.” It’s almost cosmopolitan, it’s almost the largest MSA in Florida, it’s almost coastal (for those in denial, it’s NOT a coastal city). Tampa IMO is a working man/working class “almost” big city.

The majority of the city is unattractive - including South Tampa (I honestly was shocked by this given the home prices in that area), it’s restaurant scene for a city its size is awful and full of chain restaurants, it has extremely poor transit options and probably has the worst sprawl in the entire state (toss up with Orlando’s surrounding areas), the beaches in the area are very susceptible to red tide which is now practically an annual occurrence, hurricanes love warm gulf waters, it flies the world’s second largest confederate flag…I could go on and on honestly so I’ll just leave there for now.

I fail to see the appeal of Tampa honestly. If you want to live in big city, go live in an actual one.

So I actually agree with the link - Tampa is very expensive due to how little it offers and the price it charges for just being “almost there.”
I agree with most of that. I didn’t like Tampa when I first came 16yrs ago and I’m still not a fan, though it’s grown on me some. Midtown, Water Street, and Hyde Park are all pretty good.

This is city proper, of course, Pinellas is more desirable.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:25 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I saw this a few days ago and wasn’t sure what to make of it. Tampa and Gainesville obviously aren’t the most expensive cities, but relatively to income it’s possible. It’s not a useful list to someone moving here for a remote job, but maybe useful if you’re say an RN who’s considering a move and they’ll actually be working in their city of choice.

I see they’re using average annual income too instead of median, which could be a problem if the data is skewed too much.

I prefer ratings that only focus on costs, and not income's. The income variable adds to much to the equation.

Many can work from anywhere now, so what people make who live there now is irrelevant to work from homers.

I do like them adding costs for internet connection, bread, eggs. I also like to see average car insurance, homeowners, property tax, ppsqft for 2,000 sq ft home, & utility bills.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:04 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I prefer ratings that only focus on costs, and not income's. The income variable adds to much to the equation.

Many can work from anywhere now, so what people make who live there now is irrelevant to work from homers.

I do like them adding costs for internet connection, bread, eggs. I also like to see average car insurance, homeowners, property tax, ppsqft for 2,000 sq ft home, & utility bills.
Property taxes are awful in Tampa area! Especially Pasco County. When we looked to move back to FL in 2015 was shocked. Ended up in SWFL instead.

Utilities depends on the area. Here in Charlotte COunty I have FPL and electric rates are good. To my south Lee County has their own electric and their rates are like 2x as high!

I have Xfinity and their TV and internet service is outrageous. Centrylink is cheaper but so many horror stories about them.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:34 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post

I totally agree. When I describe what it is like to live in Tampa I pretty much describe this "Almost" position you illustrated that confuses those who have never lived here. I use a lot of "Well is sort of" "kinda like" "it has some" "it could be" and "it is and it is not" vague statements because Tampa is what you described as an Almost city.

The cost of living here is outrageous for what the city is and what most jobs pay. I look around daily at all the strip malls, franchise big box stores full or low-pay workers, and job listings all hovering around $40k annually and wonder how most afford to live here. My salary puts me further up the income ladder as I am in healthcare and I feel underpaid for the cost of living in the area so how are retail and service workers making it here?

I often feel it's a "fake it but never make it" city (working in healthcare may skew my observations). People live right at the edge of affordability or slightly over and just get to that look and feel of living in a "cool and happening" place that does not really exist. Tampa is somewhat of a weird and difficult place to describe accurately. It really feels like a "Photoshopped" city, looks great in pictures and video but it feels totally different and worse living here.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:00 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I totally agree. When I describe what it is like to live in Tampa I pretty much describe this "Almost" position you illustrated that confuses those who have never lived here. I use a lot of "Well is sort of" "kinda like" "it has some" "it could be" and "it is and it is not" vague statements because Tampa is what you described as an Almost city.

The cost of living here is outrageous for what the city is and what most jobs pay. I look around daily at all the strip malls, franchise big box stores full or low-pay workers, and job listings all hovering around $40k annually and wonder how most afford to live here. My salary puts me further up the income ladder as I am in healthcare and I feel underpaid for the cost of living in the area so how are retail and service workers making it here?

I often feel it's a "fake it but never make it" city (working in healthcare may skew my observations). People live right at the edge of affordability or slightly over and just get to that look and feel of living in a "cool and happening" place that does not really exist. Tampa is somewhat of a weird and difficult place to describe accurately. It really feels like a "Photoshopped" city, looks great in pictures and video but it feels totally different and worse living here.

I agree with all of this and the prior statements. Lord knows I complain about cost of living and horrible restaurants in Tampa. And if you hate the sun and hate the beach there’s nothing to do; my family brought me here.

Yet people (mostly from NY and CA) are paying a million dollars and up for shacks in South Tampa, just to tear them down and build new. So clearly there is a VERY STRONG appeal.

Here's a good example. Who pays $1.3 million for a 1440 sq foot 3 bedroom 2 bath 1951 home in ORIGINAL CONDITION just to tear it down? This is happening constantly in South Tampa. Across the street from this house, some California dude the same. Bought old shack, tore it down, building a mcmansion.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...45047025_zpid/

Last edited by sinatras; 08-25-2023 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-25-2023, 10:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I agree with all of this and the prior statements. Lord knows I complain about cost of living and horrible restaurants in Tampa. And if you hate the sun and hate the beach there’s nothing to do; my family brought me here.

Yet people (mostly from NY and CA) are paying a million dollars and up for shacks in South Tampa, just to tear them down and build new. So clearly there is a VERY STRONG appeal.

Here's a good example. Who pays $1.3 million for a 1440 sq foot 3 bedroom 2 bath 1951 home in ORIGINAL CONDITION just to tear it down? This is happening constantly in South Tampa. Across the street from this house, some California dude the same. Bought old shack, tore it down, building a mcmansion.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...45047025_zpid/
Holy Moly! People are paying THAT kind of money for a tear down in Tampa. OMG.

Anyway, as a third generation Tampa native (who left in 1978) I have to agree. I do have affection for the Tampa I grew up in when it was a fraction of it's size and was so much more livable.

But I have to agree with all the negative and "almost" statements here. It has big city problems without the big city amenities. It's crowded and constantly under construction. The downtown is not only not walkable but a frikkin racetrack. Neighborhoods are "patchy" everywhere. Overall just too much "seediness" everywhere. And the bay often stinks, not too mention diesel smells.

I have lived in several different cities in Florida since I moved in 1978. Whenever I would go back to Tampa I would again be shocked at how run down it looks everywhere compared to wherever else I was living. Just feels dirty. I haven't been back for a visit in awhile, even though we only live in Lakeland. I have no desire to. I do have hope for some of the areas that are building up. And I am sure Tampa offers some pluses for those who are moving/living there and can afford it.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:16 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Holy Moly! People are paying THAT kind of money for a tear down in Tampa. OMG.

Anyway, as a third generation Tampa native (who left in 1978) I have to agree. I do have affection for the Tampa I grew up in when it was a fraction of it's size and was so much more livable.

But I have to agree with all the negative and "almost" statements here. It has big city problems without the big city amenities. It's crowded and constantly under construction. The downtown is not only not walkable but a frikkin racetrack. Neighborhoods are "patchy" everywhere. Overall just too much "seediness" everywhere. And the bay often stinks, not too mention diesel smells.

I have lived in several different cities in Florida since I moved in 1978. Whenever I would go back to Tampa I would again be shocked at how run down it looks everywhere compared to wherever else I was living. Just feels dirty. I haven't been back for a visit in awhile, even though we only live in Lakeland. I have no desire to. I do have hope for some of the areas that are building up. And I am sure Tampa offers some pluses for those who are moving/living there and can afford it.

Here's a rental near there (ON A VERY BUSY STREET).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...45047208_zpid/

Who is paying these prices for these dumps????? Ppl who think Tampa is AWESOME!?

Here's another one (again very busy street).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...45047079_zpid/

Old 08-25-2023, 11:36 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:

Who is paying these prices for these dumps????? Ppl who think Tampa is AWESOME!?

LOL!!! Wow...

I think a huge issue with Tampa is that St-Pete (and Pinellas County as a whole) has taken the spotlight from Hillsborough overall. Tampa isn't far removed from Jacksonville in my opinion.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:36 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:

There’s no other option for people with kids who want a short commute to downtown. If you don’t need good schools, then places like Riverside Heights become appealing. Don’t need a short commute, then NW Hillsborough.

I’m not a huge fan of South Tampa, but I’ve still been eyeing properties as it will reduce the commute now that wfh is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida