Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 11:37 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
LOL!!! Wow...

I think a huge issue with Tampa is that St-Pete (and Pinellas County as a whole) has taken the spotlight from Hillsborough overall. Tampa isn't far removed from Jacksonville in my opinion.
It’s been that way ever since I can remember, but maybe more people are recognizing it now. If St. Pete had decent schools it would be no contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 08:44 AM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
Agreed. I can’t comment too much on the entire Pinellas County, but I find St. Pete to be much nicer than Tampa - At this stage of my life, it’s probably the only place in Florida, outside of South Florida I’d even consider residing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I agree with most of that. I didn’t like Tampa when I first came 16yrs ago and I’m still not a fan, though it’s grown on me some. Midtown, Water Street, and Hyde Park are all pretty good.

This is city proper, of course, Pinellas is more desirable.

Old 08-26-2023, 09:19 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Agreed. I can’t comment too much on the entire Pinellas County, but I find St. Pete to be much nicer than Tampa - At this stage of my life, it’s probably the only place in Florida, outside of South Florida I’d even consider residing in.
Are people buying and tearing down $1.3 million dollar homes in St. Pete????? Just for the lot to build new?

No idea, just curious. Seems like Tampa is considered more desirable by the hordes of ppl moving to -- and looking to move to -- the area.

This home was bought in June and demolished by July.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...45047025_zpid/

This home went under contract in a couple days last week; another tear down (according to the listing agent)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...45047034_zpid/

Old 08-26-2023, 10:32 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmineToyo View Post
Pinellas more desirable?? what???

Pinellas COUNTY? more desirable than Tampa's msa? not HIllborough?

The City of St. Petersburg is crime central, the City of Tampa has its share as well
St. Petersburg is now populated with some real weirdos/strange people - southern part of the city is *almost* ghetto and crime ridden.

"Desirability" is relative and subjective I guess. I find Manatee and Sarasota Counties "more desirable" in the region. I find Lakeland "more desirable" in many many ways.
Pinellas is pretty desirable, more so than Hillsborough. Pinellas from Seminole up to Tarpon Springs is uniformly pretty desirable unlike the hit and miss of Hillsborough.

St Pete as a whole is not "crime central" and the southern part is not exclusively ghetto given neighborhoods like Lake Maggiore, Lakewood Estates, Bahama Shores, Pinellas Point and Maximo.

Old 08-26-2023, 11:11 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Again, I am a native born and raised in Tampa. There are huge differences in Tampa and St. Pete going back to their beginnings/roots.

Tampa is and always has been a commercial and industrial oriented town. Back in its early days there were many types of factories for manufacturing (many being cigar and clothing) and of course the harbors. Tampa was founded as a military center during the 19th century with the establishment of Fort Brooke. The cigar industry was also brought to the city by Vincente Martinez Ybor, after whom Ybor City is named. Tampa was reincorporated as a city in 1887 following the Civil War. Tampa's economy is driven by tourism, health care, finance, insurance, technology, construction, and the maritime industry. The bay's port is the largest in the state, responsible for over $15 billion in economic impact.

St. Pete until recently was known mostly for being a retirement city, going back to the 1920's. When I was growing up I remember my family joking about St. Pete and all the old folks in their rocking chairs on porches. It's really only been in the last 20 years or so that things have begun to change in that city, with a more diversified economy and a bit younger population. It is a beautiful city, but much of it, like Tampa, is also run-down and the Pinellas peninsula is built out. There is a lot of crime, more than Tampa.

If one is a person who has their own business or can work from home, etc. and the beach is your thing; then St. Pete is for you. But I think by FAR, the people moving into the area prefer Tampa for better schools, way more business activities, and definitely more "bigger city" amenities.

I don't think anyone is buying million dollar shacks in St. Pete to tear down. At least not that I am aware of.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:49 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Are people buying and tearing down $1.3 million dollar homes in St. Pete????? Just for the lot to build new?

No idea, just curious. Seems like Tampa is considered more desirable by the hordes of ppl moving to -- and looking to move to -- the area.

This home went under contract in a couple days last week; another tear down (according to the listing agent)

On the water, sure. Otherwise, not really. The most desirable neighborhoods in St. Pete are typically in historic districts so it’s harder to replace older homes there than in places like Beach Park.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:52 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If one is a person who has their own business or can work from home, etc. and the beach is your thing; then St. Pete is for you. But I think by FAR, the people moving into the area
prefer Tampa for better schools, way more business activities, and definitely more "bigger city" amenities.
They may prefer Tampa for better schools but St Pete's are improving and downtown St Pete carries a cultural buzz that is more lively than downtown Tampa's ho hum convention business. I think many are visiting both now and with lower expectation for St Pete perhaps confusing choices.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:42 AM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t closely follow real estate trends in Pinellas nor Hillsborough (although I do have a friend that’s a real estate broker based in the area) hence me prefacing my statement saying “I can’t comment on the entire county of Pinellas.”

Phrased another way, in all my visits to Tampa and St. Pete over the years, I enjoyed my time in St. Pete more. I found it more interesting, unique, and walkable. Tampa on the other hand I found to be a poor man’s, “almost” city that’s attempting it price itself as a major city without actually being one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

Old 08-27-2023, 11:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They may prefer Tampa for better schools but St Pete's are improving and downtown St Pete carries a cultural buzz that is more lively than downtown Tampa's ho hum convention business. I think many are visiting both now and with lower expectation for St Pete perhaps confusing choices.
Kyle, I am just addressing why it seems MORE people are moving to Tampa, and paying more. I actually agree with you about St. Pete downtown vs. Tampa downtown. People have different priorities.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:08 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
So, the most expensive city to live in for FL on average is Miami.

The most expensive relative to average income is Tampa.

So, that's a valuable distinction and provides different information depending if you are a surgeon, accountant or pizza delivery guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida