Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 04:05 PM

17,128 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Belew View Post
The power of negotiation when you are that big.
It wouldn’t work BECAUSE it’s so big… As stated above, it spans 3 counties, multiple towns, and is under several different jurisdictions. Perhaps if the entire place had a central governing agency, even if just a massive HOA, it could work, but that’s just not how it’s currently set up.
Not to mention, Duke isn’t the only energy provider out there. SECO is also a major provider, and there may be more that I don’t know of.
I guess anything can happen where there is a will, but the hassle and loops they would have to go through are perhaps just not worth it for a bunch of retirees just trying to enjoy a calm peaceful life in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 04:07 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
there you go with that "Florida" crap again.....you are in Tampa...this is a where you are problem not Florida

ours is set on 73....69 when we go to bed.....and I baked an apple pie today
And our FPL bill came in at about $100 less this month than less month, thanks to a newly installed AC system. We have the thermostat set at 76 degrees round the clock, and that's where the temperature throughout the house stays. I expect our bill to be lower next month.,

I'm just happy I don't live in the OP's FL.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:16 PM

68 posts, read 36,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
It wouldn’t work BECAUSE it’s so big… As stated above, it spans 3 counties, multiple towns, and is under several different jurisdictions. Perhaps if the entire place had a central governing agency, even if just a massive HOA, it could work, but that’s just not how it’s currently set up.
Not to mention, Duke isn’t the only energy provider out there. SECO is also a major provider, and there may be more that I don’t know of.
I guess anything can happen where there is a will, but the hassle and loops they would have to go through are perhaps just not worth it for a bunch of retirees just trying to enjoy a calm peaceful life in Florida.
Well, ok. I don't know how the Villages is organized. Is it a corp?

I think whoever is in charge there should start making some noise and pressure Tallahassee, like the develpers do. "Save Our Seniors" could be a good slogan. Maybe a TV commercial? I bet they could electric rates way reduced for The Villages if they followed my ideas.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:03 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Belew View Post
Well, ok. I don't know how the Villages is organized. Is it a corp?

I think whoever is in charge there should start making some noise and pressure Tallahassee, like the develpers do. "Save Our Seniors" could be a good slogan. Maybe a TV commercial? I bet they could electric rates way reduced for The Villages if they followed my ideas.
So you know basically - nothing at all about the Villages, but you feel you're qualified to offer an opinion on what they do, or don't do, based on - nothing. You didn't even take 5 minutes to check their website.

The Villages is the name of a planned 55+ community, a "census-designated place" spanning the corners of Marion, Sumter, and Lake Counties. There are over a dozen districts, each with its own government called a CDD, similar to how Disney had it set up before DeSantis pulled the plug on it.

Every homeowner owns their property, which is in a geographical location served by whatever utility companies choose to serve those locations. We have an AT&T Tower and a couple of other cell towers, which means anyone can have whatever cellular service they want and it's likely they'll get dialtone. There are a few internet and cable companies that service different parts of the community. For instance, some homeowners can choose between Spectrum, Xfinity, AT&T's satellite services, and some other one I can't ever remember the name of. Where I am, I can have Xfinity, or I can have that other one, at old-school modem speeds. I choose Xfinity for my wifi service. And my rate is the same rate that every senior who isn't poor can pay pretty much anywhere in the country: $50/month for 200mbps.

Duke Energy services my area, which is in the town of Lady Lake, in Lake County. Duke services other areas of the Villages as well. But SECO also services other parts of The Villages. I believe they service anything south of 466A, but I might not be accurate on that. The Villages crosses 466A, and 44, and there's even a bridge now that takes vehicles over Florida's Turnpike; it just opened last week.

The Villages uses several different landscape contractors for its landscaping, with Bright being the one most people will notice replacing the flowers outside each neighborhood every 3 months.

I mean - ALL of this stuff is stuff anyone can find out, if they'd take a few moments to do some simple basic google searching.

But you weren't interested in doing any of that. You just wanted to spew nonsense and attach the phrase "the Villages" to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida