Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 06:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times

Advertisements

Is the news that researchers observed 100% coral mortality of their restoration corals at Sombrero and Looe Key Nursery also a lie?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coral-r...-temperatures/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 06:59 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
yep, read the article carefully.....they bleached....that's all.....not dead

corals evolved to do this....it's normal....they will change their zooxanthellae/dinoflagellates for another one that's more heat tolerant...if corals had not evolved to do this.....they would all be dead by now

we are a marginal reef down here.....cold kills more corals than heat

”When ocean temperatures become too warm, the algae that normally live within the coral's tissues come out, causing the animals to turn white. This is known as coral bleaching. While bleaching events aren't necessarily 100% fatal for reefs, they do place them under significantly more stress and make them vulnerable, especially to future bleaching events.”

Old 08-01-2023, 08:05 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
So if this is a "flat-out lie" then why the EFF are they in the process of MOVING CORALS INTO TANKS?????????

"The mass coral bleaching happening throughout the Keys is the most severe in the state’s history, Derek Manzello, the coordinator of NOAA’s Coral Reef Watch program, said. Surveys over the next few months are needed to understand how much coral has died."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/31/c...peratures.html

Teams dedicated to ocean restoration are urgently moving samples to tanks on land as a marine heat wave devastates entire reefs. With climate change ravaging Florida’s beloved reef, people who’ve devoted their careers to restoring coral in the sea are now racing to get it out of the water, to tanks on land.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:23 AM

From the comments under the article:

I started diving in the early 1970's. The underwater world off the Cayman Islands was stunning. All the colors of the rainbow, so bright & bold. Everywhere, color and life. At greater depths, floating and looking up, & out into the sunlit blue, from the edge of what was called "the drop off". Recently I visited those same waters - it was a dull, whitish, lifeless grey. It is staggering, shocking, so sad what has happened to our world just in the last 50 years.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
So if this is a "flat-out lie" then why the EFF are they in the process of MOVING CORALS INTO TANKS?????????
because stupid people fall for it.....

obviously they are not dead, right?

besides your misdirection again......the "flat out lie" was them claiming it was ocean temperature

ocean temperature today is 87F....normal... > https://seatemperature.info/florida-...mperature.html

Old 08-01-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
because stupid people fall for it.....

obviously they are not dead, right?

besides your misdirection again......the "flat out lie" was them claiming it was ocean temperature
I wasn't misdirecting. You are saying the temp was a "flat-out lie", as in "there's nothing wrong with the water temp". Whatever the water temp is/was, apparently something "devastating" is happening/has happened to the corals that scientists deem an urgent problem. I am not a scientist but I trust scientists. Just like I am not a doctor but I trust doctors when they tell me something is wrong with my body.

I know you say that coral bleaching is perfectly normal. But that's not what this article says. This article says reefs are being devastated. Are you a marine scientist credentialed in ocean restoration? If you are, I will trust your opinion that bleaching is perfectly normal and right as rain.

But now you are saying that the scientists moving corals out of the water and into tanks are "stupid" and gullible and "fell for" something?

When you go to the doctor, and he tells you you have cancer, do you also tell him that he is "stupid," gullible and falling for something? I suppose you could do that and then when the cancer kills you, they can put in your obituary: "Corrie died from cancer but thought it was fake news."

Again, if you are a marine scientist credentialed in ocean restoration and you are saying these scientists moving corals into tanks are "stupid" and we shouldn't worry a bit about our waters, then I will trust your opinion.

Last edited by sinatras; 08-01-2023 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-01-2023, 09:11 AM

stupid = the water temp dropped back down before they had time to move any corals...if the corals are dead....why are they moving them

misdirection = where they claimed the record "ocean" temp.....was not in the ocean

your misdirection = not even looking at any of the links to see where the actual temp was measured....and claiming some BS about corals that has nothing to do with it

corals evolved to shed and change their zoox (dinoflagellates/zooxanthellae) to survive heat stress...a bleached coral is not dead...it's just a coral waiting to change it's zoox to another clade

...if corals died from heat stress we wouldn't have any corals at all

Old 08-01-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
stupid = the water temp dropped back down before they had time to move any corals...if the corals are dead....why are they moving them

misdirection = where they claimed the record "ocean" temp.....was not in the ocean

your misdirection = not even looking at any of the links to see where the actual temp was measured....and claiming some BS about corals that has nothing to do with it

corals evolved to shed and change their zoox (dinoflagellates/zooxanthellae) to survive heat stress...a bleached coral is not dead...it's just a coral waiting to change it's zoox to another clade

...if corals died from heat stress we wouldn't have any corals at all

Are you a marine scientist credentialed in ocean restoration?

Old 08-01-2023, 01:28 PM

went right over your head, didn't it

relying on authority to establish truth....doesn't work on the internet.....(argument from authority)

Last edited by Corrie22; 08-01-2023 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-02-2023, 06:27 AM

85 posts, read 70,286 times
Quote:
went right over your head, didn't it

relying on authority to establish truth....doesn't work on the internet.....(argument from authority)
His posts are overwhelmingly negative, and designed to elicit an emotional response. I just scroll past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida