Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 08:42 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,746,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Too late. The recent transplants (from the past five years especially) have already ruined Florida, especially ruined it for native Floridians (like moi) who can hardly believe what has happened to this state. Yesterday it took me three hours to drive 57 miles from Sarasota to Tampa. Something that 10 years ago could be accomplished in under an hour ON A SUNDAY FFS. No accidents, just volume, with lots and lots of NY and NJ license tags braking in front of me. Plenty of them honking at me also, another non-SW Florida behavior that is now becoming prevalent here thanks to you New Yawkers. Let's not even talk about the New York-style prices and New York-style attitudes also becoming prevalent around here. New York-style politics is only a matter of time. I thought Florida was becoming another California but maybe it's just becoming another NY-NJ-CT-PA. Pick your poison. Now we even have random homeless cretins attacking joggers, just like in the Big Apple!

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/cr...a-f4ccbd0cac02
When I lived in Orlando over 20 years ago I went to Ft. Lauderdale for a weekend getaway, it was so crowded that I was wasting all my time sitting in the car in bumper to bumper traffic, no parking spaces, etc. so I never checked into the hotel and got back on I95 and went back home. According to your post, the nightmare traffic must be even worse now all over Florida. Glad I came back to the NY 'burbs, it's worth the extra expense to live here for some things Florida doesn't have, imo, but it sounds like Florida is catching up to NY where expenses are concerned.

Last edited by wp169; 05-23-2023 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 12:09 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
When I lived in Orlando over 20 years ago I went to Ft. Lauderdale for a weekend getaway, it was so crowded that I was wasting all my time sitting in the car in bumper to bumper traffic, no parking spaces, etc. so I never checked into the hotel and got back on I95 and went back home. According to your post, the nightmare traffic must be even worse now all over Florida. Glad I came back to the NY 'burbs, it's worth the extra expense to live here for some things Florida doesn't have, imo, but it sounds like Florida is catching up to NY where expenses are concerned.
I can assure you that at no given time does it take THREE hours to get from Sarasota to Tampa, unless one is intentionally taking long local city streets.
There are two main options to get there, and if one is clogged (which will be due to accidents) the other is generally free.
I routinely drive to and from Punta Gorda from our family vacation house down there, and THAT takes maybe 2 hours to get to my Palm Harbor home.
Worth mentioning too, the transplants on the Gulf Coast are typically not from NY/NJ, and there is virtually no honking, compared to anywhere in general.
Sarasota to Tampa is an hour to an hour and a half, at pretty much any given time.

Now, Orlando to Tampa and the other way around can certainly take that long. THAT is a mess.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:46 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,844,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Yeah. I was in Miami seeing my property down there in April and it also took me three hours to drive I95 from Key Biscayne to the Breakers in Palm Beach. Granted it was a Friday at rush hour. But it was an absolute nightmare I will not be repeating. I also won't be going Tampa to Sarasota on a Sunday ever again either.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:36 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

"Politics" isn't generally on the list of "reasons I want to move to this location."

#1 No more snow and freezing weather

I love CT about 9 months of the year but no snow and freezing weather in the winter would be great.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:53 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I love CT about 9 months of the year but no snow and freezing weather in the winter would be great.
I wasn't even opposed to snow. A good 2-3 inches in temperatures just warm enough to turn all the trees and grounds a sparkling brilliant white - it was just so beautiful! And having snowball fights with the neighbors while we shoveled our driveways - much fun.

It was the nor'easters and 6-foot drifts and melted snow that freezes into ice dams on your roof that I had an objection to!

Old 05-30-2023, 02:12 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Florida has become a utopia for Republicans so, from what I’ve seen, the New Yorkers and Californians moving here have more often than not been Republican.

This has been my experience lately too. I bought my house in Sarasota 5yrs ago and it would take just over an hour to get there from my place in Tampa. Lately it’s been averaging 2.5hrs. It’s shocking how quickly traffic got bad and Sarasota really isn’t even a big city.
That was like Lake Nona before I moved out of Florida just after COVID. They really need to start building with common sense down there, at least make public transportation options.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:22 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I think the January - April period when its depressing, 40 degrees and just rainy is the worst.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:08 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
that's odd....because it doesn't seem that people in Miami are in the news complaining about it
That's because nobody complains about giving up their principles any more as long as they feel they are "right."

Old 06-03-2023, 12:15 PM

34 posts, read 40,554 times
The Miami to West Palm Beach corridor is already a lefitst/communist haven, that's probably where all the NY liberals go to anyways.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:47 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
The Miami to West Palm Beach corridor is already a lefitst/communist haven, that's probably where all the NY liberals go to anyways.
You mean like donald trump, and all those Cubans in Miami who vote Republican in almost every election? All those leftist/communists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida