Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 12:58 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko the Sane View Post
"It's not things that upset us, but our judgments about things" -Epictetus.

Egg-zactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 01:36 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The sun sets in the west. If you're looking for sunsets, you need to be on the other coast.

Warm weather is available in most states, for at least part of the year. From North Carolina and Southern California on down, it's warm for a significant part of the year. You want warm, try New Mexico. Florida is brisk in comparison. Plus they get the sunsets that you just can't see while living in an east coast state.

Cold beverages are available worldwide, and salt breezes are available on every single shoreline on every single continent.

There is nothing about Florida, with regards to "warm weather, salt breeze, watching sunsets with a cold beverage in your hand" that isn't just as good - or better - in other coastal states in this country.

Those are absolutely NOT the reasons I would ever choose to come to Florida, if those were my priorities.
Yes, there is. The Gulf water feels warmer.

(I've live 2 blocks from the ocean in Southern California, and have 'dipped my toe in the water' everywhere from WA, to ME, to FL, to Corpus Christi, TX, to CA)

Old 05-16-2023, 03:27 PM

5,132 posts, read 6,127,528 times
I am a boomer and like many of the other Boomers retiring now they are looking for an income tax free state in which to relocate.

15 years ago Vegas, Nashville, Knoxville and Florida to name a few areas were relatively quiet. I have been in our little coastal town for over 34 years. It was once a quiet middle class town. Fast forward and we have become a very affluent retirement community.

I feel bad for Baldwin County, Alabama as in the last week there has been dozens of articles on Florida.
being unaffordable and Alabama being the new place to retire.

Until the majority of Boomers retire I don’t see Florida getting anymore affordable.

We Boomers are like locusts and as we retire we are fueling the rapid prices of homes in these hot retirement areas.

My question is when we Boomers start fading away will the generation behind us be able to afford our homes?

Old 05-16-2023, 03:42 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's kind of what I thought. I agree it would get under your skin to have to look at those signs everytime you go anywhere, and there's no alternative route where you can avoid seeing them. The guy sounds like a nut job, and using over the top signs and paraphenalia ( toilet, really????????), bigger, better and more obnoxious as he thinks of the next sign he can put up, to express his frustration over the state of things. He probably also relishes the attention it brings him. Probably all you can do if the HOA won't address his signs is to consider the source and ignore him and the signs as best you can. I'd imagine he wants to get under the skin of anyone who doesn't share his political perspectives.

I'm really surprised your HOA hasn't gone after him for the signs, and the toilet in his driveway. I can't imagine these aren't HOA rule violations-unless he knows where the bodies are hidden so they're afraid to bother him( just kidding here). Has anyone complained to the HOA, or are his signs more of a joke to the neighborhood?

Anyway, suffice it to say not all those on the right, ( or"rightish", perhaps) side along the political spectrum are 1) dangerous, or 2) obnoxiously displaying or trying to impose their perspectives on others.
We don't have an HOA. We have Community Standards but - our deed doesn't say anything about prohibiting toilets on the driveway (crazy that anyone would think such a rule would be needed, but here we are). So Community Standards said they couldn't make him remove it. As for the flags, the federal flag code isn't enforceable. You can basically tear the hem of an American flag, smear it with feces, and hang it upside down beneath a Miami Dolphins flag, and there's nothing anyone will be able to do about it. It's not illegal. As much as it should be since you know if I can think that up off the top of my head, SOMEONE, somewhere, has already done it.

He is a nutjob, for sure. Not the only one, just the most obvious of the bunch.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

My question is when we Boomers start fading away will the generation behind us be able to afford our homes?
A lot of it comes down to how much time the boomers spent in memory care at the end of their life. If the answer is ‘not much’ then their heirs are often in line to inherit the house and other assets that can be used to buy that housing.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
It’s too late to be complaining about New Yorkers in Florida, isn’t it? Didn’t they put Miami Beach on the map?

Old 05-16-2023, 06:11 PM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

When the great generation died off, did the boomers fill in behind them? Yes they did.

However, work-from-home is killing America's big cities, so its not generational blight, but job migration that is going to decimate large cities.

Office occupancy in America's large cities is <50%, so a lot more $ is about to be lost by REIT's.

Office space will be turned over to the homeless and immigrants as housing.

Most of the New Yorkers moving to FLA are affluent. Most affluent people abide by societies rules.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:24 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
NYC isn't all left, it's the party in charge that started implementing policies in the 90s that were progressive and begun the transition from Republican state and city to Democrat. In the 90s both governor and mayor was GOP.

Now NYC uses progressive taxation to redistribute income from the wealthy and middle class to the poor. Of course this made people flock to the city as more people = cheap labor and more taxes needed to keep the poor afloat in an expensive city.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:30 PM

85 posts, read 70,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
When the great generation died off, did the boomers fill in behind them? Yes they did.

However, work-from-home is killing America's big cities, so its not generational blight, but job migration that is going to decimate large cities.

Office occupancy in America's large cities is <50%, so a lot more $ is about to be lost by REIT's.

Office space will be turned over to the homeless and immigrants as housing.

Most of the New Yorkers moving to FLA are affluent. Most affluent people abide by societies rules.
Converting an office building to housing is a very costly endeavor. Additional potable water and sewer lines would need to be added to the structure along with an increase of the local infrastructure. I doubt the municipalities have the money needed to gut buildings for refit and tear up roads to lay additional pipes and pump stations together with increasing the fresh water supply and waste water treatment capacity.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:50 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
First of all I not a Right Wing extremist, as people who do not agree with what has become of NY are labeled. I was born in NYC and lived in NYS for 65 years so I can speak from actual first hand experience. My family was from NYC and I spent many a fantastic time there both as a resident, tourist and businessman. What has happened to the City and State with one party rule makes, me very sad. When I retired and was looking to escape the high taxes and bad weather, we looked to Florida. I could not see forking over 1/3 of my SS check to ever increasing property taxes.
We chose Florida because its sunny and warm, the government is not reaching into your pocket every chance it gets and the people are much friendlier. It was quite a shock moving here, but I quickly got used to it and in hindsight, it was one of the best decisions of my life.
NYers are moving here in droves for a reason. The politics here are the complete opposite and take some getting used to. If you are lefty you may not be happy here. The state and economy are thriving and attracting loads of businesses.
If you don't like it here and don't agree with our politics, I am sure you can get a good deal on one of those empty moving vans going back to NYS. Just don't ruin what we have here.
You are worried about nothing. Most of the people moving to Florida are republicans.

How Florida became a conservative bastion
Quote:
Estimates released by the Census Bureau in December showed that, for the first time since 1957, Florida became the fastest-growing state in the country, netting more than 400,000 new residents in the year between July 2021 and July 2022.

Those new arrivals, said Susan MacManus, a professional emeritus at the University of South Florida who specializes in Florida politics, have tilted heavily Republican.

During the pandemic, nearly 394,000 new voters moved into Florida, and nearly half of them — 46 percent — registered with the GOP, according to voter data from L2, a data vendor. Only about 23 percent registered to vote as Democrats.

Meanwhile, Florida’s electorate was shifting from within. Between January 2021 and September 2022, nearly 550,000 Florida voters changed their party affiliation, according to an analysis of state voter data by MacManus and her associates. Voters left the Democratic Party at nearly twice the rate as they left the GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida