Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 01:32 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,298,361 times

Advertisements

now see, that want's that hard to do at all.....let the screaming and teeth gnashing begin

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Wednesday highlighted his administration’s latest efforts to combat the nation’s border crisis via Senate Bill 1718, which essentially makes the Sunshine State the largest state in the country to do full E-Verify for employment."

“It’s already against the law for someone to be employed if they’re here illegally, but the E-Verify provides a way to make sure that that’s enforceable."

"Florida will not recognize out-of-state licenses issued to illegal aliens from other states"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...fy-employment/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 01:42 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
I thought E-Verify was required already?
Every single firm I've worked for since college days used this.

But... Um... Good? Since it apparently wasn't required. I'm all for it.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:19 PM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
I was in Georgia when they did this, and as a business owner, it caused a lot of paperwork & hassel to comply....annually.

I complied, but it did nothing to stop others from employing illegals. They just paid them under the table.

The poutry industry is famous for hiring them in Georgia.

So, now the same will happen to me here...more paper work, more cost, for nothing in return.

No state can stop crooked employers from paying illegals cash under the table.

It's great for Notary's of the public though, because each form for each employee, must be notarized.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:40 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
This part is especially humorous:
"Florida will not recognize out-of-state licenses issued to illegal aliens from other states"

...but it'll recognize out-of-state licenses issued to LEGAL aliens from other states? How will they know this, exactly? I mean if they're "illegal aliens" then they'll be illegal in every state, sanctuary or not. If they're not illegal aliens, then their out-of-state license won't specify as such.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
This part is especially humorous:

...but it'll recognize out-of-state licenses issued to LEGAL aliens from other states? How will they know this, exactly? I mean if they're "illegal aliens" then they'll be illegal in every state, sanctuary or not. If they're not illegal aliens, then their out-of-state license won't specify as such.
I'm not sure I comprehend your post here... Or what's humorous.

I'm a PE. I'm also a Permanent Resident (aka "Legal Alien.")
What it says is that FL will not recognize my PE License (in other word I can't practice in FL) regardless of my license status in other states without showing proof of legal residency status. In my case, all they have to do is run my Permanent Resident number through E-Verify, and unless I do something dumb and get deported, it's valid. That is how you "verify."
Several states allow for undocumented immigrants to obtain professional licenses, or to maintain them even after their status has expired or been revoked.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ey/3455489001/

FL is saying it will not recognize these licenses.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-10-2023 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-10-2023, 03:35 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Fabulous idea about cracking down on illegal aliens until the coming year or so when landscaping companies, construction companies, hotels and restaurants aren't able to suitably staff given it's already difficult. FL can't have it both ways with growth/development and limiting who can work.

Old 05-10-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Fabulous idea about cracking down on illegal aliens until the coming year or so when landscaping companies, construction companies, hotels and restaurants aren't able to suitably staff given it's already difficult. FL can't have it both ways with growth/development and limiting who can work.
As far as this goes, I don't think it will be effective in any way at all, as people who hire illegals for those trades here already pay them under the table. That's not going to change.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:03 PM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Why not implement a workable legal immigration system to fix all this? Or, just enforce the laws we alread have?

Because it isn't advantageous to DC. Their greed is insatiable, & they can cash in on other people's pain.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:08 PM

637 posts, read 409,386 times
Is this really the end of exploitive labor? If so, now Floridians are going to have to fill those “dirty” jobs and employers will be forced to provide a “living” wage.

I’ll sit back and watch this while eating popcorn.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Why not implement a workable legal immigration system to fix all this? Or, just enforce the laws we alread have?
I agree... But again, I was under the impression E-Verify was already "required." If one was hiring illegals to tend to nursery farms under the table before, this certainly won't stop them. Nothing is changing, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Is this really the end of exploitive labor? If so, now Floridians are going to have to fill those “dirty” jobs and employers will be forced to provide a “living” wage.

I’ll sit back and watch this while eating popcorn.
Won't happen. The people currently employing illegals to do the dirty jobs will continue to employ them.

One thing I would love to see change, is perhaps put well-behaved prisoners to use and have them perform these types of "day-labor" jobs. Yes, I know that there are ditch diggers and roadside trash collectors, but much more could be done.

Anyway... Illegal work is not going away, if ever. It exists everywhere. We have to embrace it to a degree. I just bought a bag of oranges. I am well-aware that an American Army vet who served in the Iraq War did not pick them for me.
I am, however, in favor of the professional licensing verification through E-Verify.

I agree with Beach43ofus: Implement a WORKABLE legal immigration system. I went through the current system, and it was a total nightmare that almost separated me from my kids. And no, I was never here illegally. And neither did I come from a third world country, or some war-torn place. The system is just... bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida