Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 07:33 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
this woman presents a pretty good argument for it's liberal policies that do it....

"'It’s a piece of cake really - that's why you have so many out here': Portland homeless woman boasts about how she is fed three meals a day by woke city and can stay in her tent all day and do drugs"

"The nearly open air drug policy has led to more tents on the streets, she said
Portland decriminalized small amounts of meth, cocaine and heroin in 2020"

“It’s a piece of cake…you get three meals a day and don’t have to do ****…wake up, eat get high, wake up eat get high” repeat. A homeless woman shared with me why it’s so easy to be homeless. She was brutally honest because she hates the enablement “They are loving us to death”

https://twitter.com/kevinvdahlgren/s...iece-cake.html
Feed the stray cats and they have no reason to leave or stop showing up at your door. In fact, more are likely to show up. I left NY where the homelessness and open drug use is just accepted as a part of life. There's no way to curb it back now. You'd get on the subway and someone would be smoking crack in the car. You're stuck in the car until the subway gets to the next station. Who wants to live this way and incur the high cost of living? A lot are ok with it! Which really makes me scratch my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 10:51 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
At some point, I must assess the world as I see it, then compare that with what I read & hear from media sources.

I realize my own observations are anecdotal, but the media's view is too...the media is just the way 5 media mogul Billionaires see things, then force the rest of the media to Parrot.

I'm seeing high rents in Florida, but now as high as Cali or NY.

I'm not seeing anywhere near the homelessness in FLA vs. any other place I've lived or visited in the USA.

So, its my word out here in the real world, against 5 Billionaires who live in sheltered bubbles, walled off from the rest of us.

I'll go with my reality...my anecdotal is more accurate than theirs.
I see a lot of homeless people in SWFL, more than in MO and other states I been to, at least around me.

However, these people are drifters and came from up north down here because lets face it it's better living in a tent in the southern half of Florida versus somewhere like Charleston WV in the middle of Jan. We have a lot of them here in Punta Gorda and Charlotte County, many druggies and not from around here. My part-time job at Publix every now and then they have to trespass them.

Many seem to come from out of state due to the warm weather, odds and end jobs. They don't seem homeless because they live in FL and can't make a living, but because they come here from other states because it's warm and less harsh to live in a tent. That's how it is in Lee and Charlotte counties here from what I see when I'm out and about.

Different than the homeless problem in NYC for example.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:17 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
this woman presents a pretty good argument for it's liberal policies that do it....

"'It’s a piece of cake really - that's why you have so many out here': Portland homeless woman boasts about how she is fed three meals a day by woke city and can stay in her tent all day and do drugs"

"The nearly open air drug policy has led to more tents on the streets, she said
Portland decriminalized small amounts of meth, cocaine and heroin in 2020"

“It’s a piece of cake…you get three meals a day and don’t have to do ****…wake up, eat get high, wake up eat get high” repeat. A homeless woman shared with me why it’s so easy to be homeless. She was brutally honest because she hates the enablement “They are loving us to death”

https://twitter.com/kevinvdahlgren/s...iece-cake.html
It's not hard to figure out unless part of the group that's unable to think for themselves. Portland, Seattle and San Francisco's huge homeless population has little to do with the convenient political commentary for some as it does with simple facts like climate. None of the three experiences harsh winters and/or summers like the remainder of the country. It's much easier to stay dry than it is warm or cool if living outdoors. The cities maintain programs versus the idiotic notion of ignoring them. What do you suppose happens to the crime rate when people not able to work or willing to undergo rehab can't eat? I'm sure some would gleefully throw them into institutions, but so far we haven't reached that fascist state a few here seem so keen on.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:22 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The likelihood of people moving to even more expensive states hundreds of miles away is pretty slim. Staying in a known location where they're already living is a much more reasonable and likely scenario. Property Management companies are also not "cracking down on rentals" and from my experience here in Central Florida likely to rent to anyone with enough money to move-in and keep occupancy rates up.
Just because the highest rent increases were in FL doesn’t mean it’s more expensive than NYC or LA. People will still relocate here from those areas despite the increase because of tax savings, climate, politics, etc.

FL isn’t attracting the poor or even working class. It’s attracting the top 5%.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:34 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not hard to figure out unless part of the group that's unable to think for themselves. Portland, Seattle and San Francisco's huge homeless population has little to do with the convenient political commentary for some as it does with simple facts like climate.
yep, that explains why all those places with much better climate...have so many more, right?

...like New York

something is attracting them to these cities....and it's not weather

Old 01-04-2023, 09:56 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
yep, that explains why all those places with much better climate...have so many more, right?

...like New York

something is attracting them to these cities....and it's not weather
New York City, with LA second is a major hub for financial, commerce, corporations, etc. Those cities will always attract the top wage earners as lots of companies are HQ in these biggest cities.

I could never live in those places but the facts are is NYC, LA, even Chicago are huge cities and play a major role in the world economy. The Bay area has a ton load of wealth due to the tech sector. I hate that area of the country as well but admit that it holds vast wealth and plays a major role. A city like Tampa will never hold the role the silicon valley has. You think home prices are bad here in FL look at silicon valley. However, those people can easily pay those prices.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:59 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Just because the highest rent increases were in FL doesn’t mean it’s more expensive than NYC or LA. People will still relocate here from those areas despite the increase because of tax savings, climate, politics, etc.

FL isn’t attracting the poor or even working class. It’s attracting the top 5%.
It's not about more expensive, it's the ratio of cost to salary. If the average Joe is spending more than half of his salary on rent that's a massive affordability issue. People will not relocate here if unable to live comfortably and for those who overlook it, won't be long before they're gone to another state. Critical thought moment, who is going to work all of those service jobs for the growing population of 5%-types?

Old 01-06-2023, 04:52 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Keep jacking up rents gents if it will run many away from the state. We could use a few mil less peeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida