Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 10:56 AM

3,439 posts, read 2,414,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It is! A house built in 72 is 50 years old!

Now compared to something up north built in the late 1800's a 72 build is a new house but keep in mind Florida didn't really take off in development until the 50s 60s.
Late 1800's...heh.

That's kinda cute, using the late 1800's as your measure of "old."

For me, "old" would be the historic homes dating back to the Revolutionary War (and earlier). An example would be the saltbox-style home in Wallingford, Connecticut. The Nehemiah Royce House. The house was recently (in Connecticut terms) owned by Choate-Rosemary Hall, a boarding school. They sold it to the Preservation Trust in 1999, and it was built in 1672. It still stands, and used for tours and museum-type things.

George Washington visited the house twice.

Homes from the late 1800's are old, but not old enough to be used to express how a 70-year-old house is not old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 03:06 AM

383 posts, read 281,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
HOWEVER; there is a HUGE difference for insurance costs in frame vs concrete block or brick. Do NOT purchase a frame home here in Florida.
There are exceptions to EVERYTHING our frame house in 33470 built in '93 was cheaper to insure than our
cbs house in 33461 built in '77

Just about EVERY cbs house is wood over 8ft and most 2 story builds the 2nd story and up is frame,

this thread makes me glad we got the hell out of FL

Old 12-29-2022, 06:50 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
There are exceptions to EVERYTHING our frame house in 33470 built in '93 was cheaper to insure than our
cbs house in 33461 built in '77

Just about EVERY cbs house is wood over 8ft and most 2 story builds the 2nd story and up is frame,

this thread makes me glad we got the hell out of FL
Well, this thread is about OLDER homes, not newer ones (yes 93 is "newer". Older frame homes in Florida are almost impossible to insure; and extremely expensive - sometimes twice as much.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:53 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
If I had to do it over again I would buy only new construction in Florida. Trust me. You don't want to be in a home older than 10 years old (yes, 10; insurance companies here start to get nervous after about home age of 15) and looking down the barrel of a $10k insurance bill or a cancellation or all the other "problems with older homes in Florida" that insurance companies (scammers) like to punish Floridians for (whether they are the preferred CBS concrete block or not).

The last time I got a bunch of quotes for home insurance, I was sent a spreadsheet of 10 diff quotes with 10 diff companies. Only 3 of the companies on the sheet would insure a home older than 20 years old in Tampa. The other companies had all manner of other age ranges they would and would not insure. Some wouldn't insure anything more than 15 years old, etc. 22 years old, etc.

Age (and building code) is always the most important factor in Florida now. A good recent example was Hurricane Ian in Punta Gorda. Many of the homes there sustained minimal damage because they are newer construction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...ne-ian-damage/

“Buildings built to newer codes consistently have fared better during hurricanes and other storms than older homes.” Whether you believe that or not is up to you. But that's what the insurance companies base their scam rates on.

Now, notice way above I put "problems with older homes in Florida" in quote marks. That's because I have had zero problems with my 1960s concrete block old house in Florida. Zero damage through storms, zero flooding, zero claims, zero termites, zero collapsed copper pipes, nothing but joy.

Number of times I have had to call my insurer? also ZERO.

Yet every year the premium goes up by 1k-3k.

As a native Floridian, it did not used to be this way. I grew up in a 1962 ranch and a 1930s bungalow in South Florida and it's only now in the last decade or so that people living in old homes in Florida are being punished financially for doing so. Not sure where this will lead; I guess eventually everything more than 10 years old will be torn down in this state because the insurance companies will refuse to insure?

Looking forward to getting out of this scammer's paradise and never coming back.

Last edited by sinatras; 12-30-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-30-2022, 03:44 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,414,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
If I had to do it over again I would buy only new construction in Florida. Trust me. You don't want to be in a home older than 10 years old (yes, 10; insurance companies here start to get nervous after about home age of 15) and looking down the barrel of a $10k insurance bill or a cancellation or all the other "problems with older homes in Florida" that insurance companies (scammers) like to punish Floridians for (whether they are the preferred CBS concrete block or not).
...<snip>
Those ridiculous insurance bills are for folks who have ROOFS that are old, not for older HOUSES. If the house hasn't had a roof replaced - then Florida administration has basically given the insurance companies permission to jack up the premiums for houses with 15-year-old-or-newer roofs, and refuse to insure homes with roofs over 15 years old.

That's what Florida voters chose, by electing officials who don't serve their constituents, never have served them, and have no interest in serving them. Their interest is in making money from the wealthy. That includes the insurance companies.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:00 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Those ridiculous insurance bills are for folks who have ROOFS that are old, not for older HOUSES. If the house hasn't had a roof replaced - then Florida administration has basically given the insurance companies permission to jack up the premiums for houses with 15-year-old-or-newer roofs, and refuse to insure homes with roofs over 15 years old.

That's what Florida voters chose, by electing officials who don't serve their constituents, never have served them, and have no interest in serving them. Their interest is in making money from the wealthy. That includes the insurance companies.

Guess again Sherlock!!!!! My roof is 2 years old. Premium went up $1800 this year (2022). Expecting another 2k increase in 2023. In 2023 my roof will be 3 years old!

It's not just the roof, it's the whole house that the insurers (scammers) are ripping us off for. We are being punished for living in older homes b/c they are "more susceptible" to hurricane damage, whether it's the roof or any other part of your old house. Never mind that I am a Florida native and have lived in old houses my entire life, been through countless hurricanes and tropical storms and never had any damage (other than downed trees in the yards) EVEN THROUGH HURRICANE ANDREW IN 1992.

Let me repeat that I have never in my life filed a homeowners insurance claim anywhere.

Been spendin' most their lives, livin' in the scammer's paradise
Been spendin' most their lives, livin' in the scammer's paradise
Keep spendin' most our lives, livin' in the scammer's paradise
Keep spendin' most our lives, livin' in the scammer's paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida