Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 05:42 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,283,652 times

Advertisements

Think about it. When you see film footage of storm damage, it's rarely those old CB homes that are getting blown away. It's these new fangled shacks that get destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 06:04 PM

103 posts, read 96,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Think about it. When you see film footage of storm damage, it's rarely those old CB homes that are getting blown away. It's these new fangled shacks that get destroyed.
new fangled shacks - stealing this for band name

Old 12-19-2022, 06:05 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
What you are classifying as older homes, if maintained, will have a new roof, new A/C, upgraded electrical panel and proven structural integrity.

Any defects arising from improper construction have been sorted by now. Any settling has already occurred. Foundation cracks have already happened. With new construction, those events are still ahead.

All of the homes around here are about forty years old. These houses will definitely last another forty years.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
What you are classifying as older homes, if maintained, will have a new roof, new A/C, upgraded electrical panel and proven structural integrity.

Any defects arising from improper construction have been sorted by now. Any settling has already occurred. Foundation cracks have already happened. With new construction, those events are still ahead.

I agree, but do the insurance companies see it this way? I was always told insurance will be a problem if I buy an "older" home in FL.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:22 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatique View Post
I agree, but do the insurance companies see it this way? I was always told insurance will be a problem if I buy an "older" home in FL.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for me or any of my many neighbors.

There are four problems specific to Florida regarding home insurance.

1. Sink holes. How close are you to a sink hole and when did it sink?

2. Elevation. Obviously, higher is better. More protection during storms.

3. "Bad" flood plains. This is totally different from evacuation designation. Risk of flooding is a major impediment to insurance.

4. Distance from a large body of water. Could be the Gulf or the ocean. Could be a large bay or lake.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Doesn't seem to be a problem for me or any of my many neighbors.

There are four problems specific to Florida regarding home insurance.

1. Sink holes. How close are you to a sink hole and when did it sink?

2. Elevation. Obviously, higher is better. More protection during storms.

3. "Bad" flood plains. This is totally different from evacuation designation. Risk of flooding is a major impediment to insurance.

4. Distance from a large body of water. Could be the Gulf or the ocean. Could be a large bay or lake.
This is great and helpful the way you laid it out. I would think in many cases an older home would be built on a better lot in terms of elevation and flood risk. Like the best land was probably snatched up first.

So was I totally mislead that insurance companies care what year your house was built? If the roof has been replaced and that sort of thing they couldn't care less that the house was built in the 1970s?

Old 12-20-2022, 07:47 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
This is great and helpful the way you laid it out. I would think in many cases an older home would be built on a better lot in terms of elevation and flood risk. Like the best land was probably snatched up first.

So was I totally mislead that insurance companies care what year your house was built? If the roof has been replaced and that sort of thing they couldn't care less that the house was built in the 1970s?
As long as it passes four point inspection, there should be no issue. We purchased a 1953 ranch home in Lakeland 3 years ago, replaced roof, upgraded electrical, plumbing, AC, etc. This little house is a fort. HOWEVER; there is a HUGE difference for insurance costs in frame vs concrete block or brick. Do NOT purchase a frame home here in Florida.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:00 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,143,530 times
Quote:
Can you clarify what you mean? Thank you!
I'm big fan of the old cracker houses that have withstood the hurricanes since the 20's; CB homes went down fast under Hurricane Andrew in the 90's. Actually, sometimes it's just which way the wind blows...

Old 12-20-2022, 09:39 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,810,346 times
Homes that are older and were built not as typical cookie cutters are probably better off than new construction homes. But older homes that were lacking maintenance will require investment to make it better and safer place to live. On another hand, newer homes are bigger and lighter and overall get you a pleasure to be there without feeling that ceiling is just 2 inches above your head.

As for condos, townhomes -> older ones are guaranteed special assessments and often.

Old 12-20-2022, 11:29 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Quote:
Sunshine thank you very much for all of that info. So, would you say your main insurance related concern when it comes to older homes is actually unpermitted work?

If someone is buying a condo or any kind of attached unit, and the complex / building is only 1 or 2 floors, is there not much to worry about as far as insurance problems? As long as the finances of the condo association look good?

What do you think about townhome vs condo?

To answer your questions:

For older homes, insurance is looking for an acceptable 4 Point Inspection Report (which covers roof, electrical, plumbing & HVAC) plus they check for additions/changes that may not have been permitted at the time of construction. Some red flags are a 2 bdrm/ 2 bath home per the tax records and owner is selling a 3 bdrm / 2 bath home or home with a "bonus room" that the county has listed as a screened lanai.

The latest legislation change regarding FL condos has to do with REQUIRED inspections and maintenance/repairs for specific structural items for condos with 3 or more floors. The boards can no longer waive or reduce monies that should go into specific reserve accounts for those kind of maintenance items.

That does not mean buildings 2 stories or less are without insurance issues. Things like the age of the roofs, the age of the plumbing, are windows hurricane rated will have an impact on insurance rates.

With condos you may have someone living above you, and sounds can carry, especially if the building is lacking in appropriate soundproofing between units. Townhomes eliminate having another resident living above your space, but you still have to deal with the units located on either side. With townhomes you want to carefully read the condo docs as to what is the association's responsibility and what you will be responsible for maintaining as often things like roofs & exterior doors can end up being the responsibility of the unit owners with townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida