Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 07:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times

Advertisements

We normally do Disney vacations because that's my wife's "happy place" lol, but we're considering doing a beach vacation next year (looking at end of June/beginning of July). To preface, I grew up going to seaside annually with my extended family so it has a special place in my heart but it's so expensive now... it was even expensive when I was a teenager as eventually my grandparents agreed it was too much $$$ to pay for a house on the beach for the entire family to spend a week there.
Anyways, I'd be interested to hear from some FL residents as to their favorite "family friendly" beach and/or place to stay. I think we'd probably prefer beaches on the gulf but also my wife is not a fan of AirBnBs so I feel like this makes it a bit more difficult since finding a decently priced nice hotel (during June/July) can be hard depending on the beach. I'd like to stay under $500 per night. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 08:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Nokomis Beach, located just north of Venice, FL. Unique in the lack of towering condos. There's a pavilion, picnic tables, showers to wash off the sand after the day at the beach. Very nice.
https://www.florida-guidebook.com/nokomis-beach/

Also just south of there is Venice Beach. Another good option, along with the Venice Jetty.
https://www.venicegov.com/visiting/venice-beach

Just north of Sarasota, in Manatee county, is Anna Maria Island with several beautiful public beaches. Coquina and Bradenton beaches are my favs.
https://www.annamaria.com/category/d...tions/beaches/

Although Siesta Key beach in the area is nationally known and recognized, I personally find these other options less crowded, less expensive, better for relaxing and enjoying the surf and sun.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:21 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I second Anna Maria. It’s gorgeous. So is Siesta Key. I haven’t actually stayed there, so I can’t recommend a hotel.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:32 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
I've never stayed there, but why not try a mix of both Disney and Beach and try Disney's Vero Beach? The area is nice. The hotel is nice, we've walked around and had a couple of meals at the restaurant.

Obviously, since it's Disney, there would be "family friendly" areas and events.

It is a DVC property, but you might be able to rent points. I haven't checked the cost of that stuff lately.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I've never stayed there, but why not try a mix of both Disney and Beach and try Disney's Vero Beach? The area is nice. The hotel is nice, we've walked around and had a couple of meals at the restaurant.

Obviously, since it's Disney, there would be "family friendly" areas and events.

It is a DVC property, but you might be able to rent points. I haven't checked the cost of that stuff lately.
That's a good idea. Never thought about it. I looked at reservations and it looks booked for the dates we were considering but maybe that's due to DVC points? I'm not sure, I'll have to look into it more.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:01 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
We normally do Disney vacations because that's my wife's "happy place" lol, but we're considering doing a beach vacation next year (looking at end of June/beginning of July). To preface, I grew up going to seaside annually with my extended family so it has a special place in my heart but it's so expensive now... it was even expensive when I was a teenager as eventually my grandparents agreed it was too much $$$ to pay for a house on the beach for the entire family to spend a week there.
Anyways, I'd be interested to hear from some FL residents as to their favorite "family friendly" beach and/or place to stay. I think we'd probably prefer beaches on the gulf but also my wife is not a fan of AirBnBs so I feel like this makes it a bit more difficult since finding a decently priced nice hotel (during June/July) can be hard depending on the beach. I'd like to stay under $500 per night. Any thoughts?
There are other places to stay near Seaside that aren't as expensive. They aren't cheap, but just not as outrageous. If you prefer hotels - I would recommend Sandestin resort (if you like the panhandle). You can stay in a variety of places, hotel, condo, houses, depending on your budget. You can rent these from the resort itself or VRBO type of rental.

If you rent from the resort you get access to the tram and other perks. That varies if you rent from owners. There is also a Hilton on the property. If you prefer a hotel it is actually one of the few directly on the beach and has a stretch of beach just for guests. Destin has a couple hotels with direct beach access but it is mostly condos.

Other hotels with direct beach access include a few on Okaloosa Island. It is less crowded over there.

The key to staying anywhere on the Gulf in the Panhandle is direct beach access, not just within walking distance. There is limited parking, limited beach access points and due to hotels/condos claiming the beach in front of them, limited places to sit.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:07 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Nokomis Beach is great. Another option I’d consider is Lido Beach due to its convenience/proximity to Sarasota.

I used to recommend Anna Maria a lot, but I think it’s a little too crowded now and it detracts quite a bit from it so I don’t recommend it anymore.

On the east coast, I think Deerfield Beach is a good family friendly option.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:09 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Also, get hotels that are cancelable in case of red tide. Odds are red tide won’t be a problem, but if there’s red tide in Sarasota you might just be able to move your hotel to Treasure Island and be okay still, you just don’t want to get stuck in one spot with red tide.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Also, get hotels that are cancelable in case of red tide. Odds are red tide won’t be a problem, but if there’s red tide in Sarasota you might just be able to move your hotel to Treasure Island and be okay still, you just don’t want to get stuck in one spot with red tide.
Yes, we always book hotels the option to cancel or adjust the stay. Our travel plans change A LOT, especially having little kids (they always seem to get sick right before vacation starts!).

Old 11-21-2022, 10:25 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Much of the suggestions made thus far are for sleepy remote locations which do have beautiful beaches, but precious little else for kids who aren't going to spend all day in the sand/water. I would suggest St Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach which have family-friendliness as well as things to do beyond the beach nearby in case it rains or the kids become bored with the beach which is likely after a few hours. Check out the Sirata on St Pete Beach https://www.sirata.com/ and The Sandpearl on Clearwater Beach https://www.opalcollection.com/sandp...pearl%20Resort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida