Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 11:57 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Much of the suggestions made thus far are for sleepy remote locations which do have beautiful beaches, but precious little else for kids who aren't going to spend all day in the sand/water. I would suggest St Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach which have family-friendliness as well as things to do beyond the beach nearby in case it rains or the kids become bored with the beach which is likely after a few hours. Check out the Sirata on St Pete Beach https://www.sirata.com/ and The Sandpearl on Clearwater Beach https://www.opalcollection.com/sandp...pearl%20Resort
Pinellas does have some good options. My top choices would be St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island. The Don CeSar is great; and while it isn’t cheap it may be worth spending a little extra for the experience.

Clearwater Beach is okay, but I’d recommend staying north of the pier. South of it is less family friendly in my opinion.

Also, about the sleepy/remote location for Venice/Nokomis. You’re right, but it will be more relaxing too as you don’t have to fight for parking spaces and whatnot. It’s a very different vibe and one I’d probably prefer. You’d be surprised how many good restaurants that area has too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 02:08 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
My vote is for Lido Beach. A great pavilion, beautiful beach, swimming pool and walking distance to St. Armand's Circle. Lots of kids (and people of all ages) go there and have a great time. There is also the park on the south end of Lido. Restrooms but no snack bar at that end. It is really too congested on Anna Maria in season (even out of season these days)

Old 11-21-2022, 08:15 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Pinellas does have some good options. My top choices would be St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island. The Don CeSar is great; and while it isn’t cheap it may be worth spending a little extra for the experience.

Clearwater Beach is okay, but I’d recommend staying north of the pier. South of it is less family friendly in my opinion.

Also, about the sleepy/remote location for Venice/Nokomis. You’re right, but it will be more relaxing too as you don’t have to fight for parking spaces and whatnot. It’s a very different vibe and one I’d probably prefer. You’d be surprised how many good restaurants that area has too.
So, wherever we go we'll probably get a beachfront hotel or rental. Or someplace we can walk within 5-10 minutes to the beach. I know my wife isn't keen on the idea of having a "beach" vacation where you're having to walk (or drive) a far distance to the beach.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
If your wife is looking for a hotel near the beach and not a VRBO/AirBNB, you'll have to go to the east coast. Very few hotels on the beach on Charlotte/Sarasota county. You'd need a car to get to the beach.

If she is OK with condo rentals, I'd suggest St Augustine, as you can get a condo right on the beach and the area has a ton of fun/educational/historical activities for kids.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:30 AM

283 posts, read 288,791 times
Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral, you can also change up beaches between your stay and go to the Cocoa Beach area (Lori Wilson Park), or even down to Satellite Beach.

You can take your kids to Kennedy Space Center or the Brevard Zoo

And you can even squeeze in a Disney daytrip since you would only be a little over an hour away from the parks

Old 11-22-2022, 08:46 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Disney has a small beach resort just North of Vero Beach Florida...you can have your cake & eat it too. No rides, but shows, chararacters, & the Disney theme. I have no idea if its good or not, but check it out on trip advisor to see how its rated.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:50 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I'm going to have to agree with Kyle and the Clearwater Beach suggestion here. With kids, the nicer, quieter beaches might be a bit stale for them. Clearwater Beach has tons of activities for kids, and is very walkable from one end to the other.
There is also a trolley/shuttle thing you can take if you want to see and explore other beaches throughout the day, and relax for a little, and it's quite cheap. Chances are you'll see dolphins, among other cool wildlife that the kids might enjoy.

Clearwater Beach has always been a hit with my kids, even well before I moved to the area. If it were just me and a girlfriend/date, I'd go elsewhere, but in this case, it's the clear winner for me.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:09 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Did I miss how old the kids were ?

I think if I had family from out of state coming in who did not want to stay with us, I would tell them to look into Cocoa Beach area-possibly at the Ron Jons resort that is now a Holiday Inn Resort. They would be able to watch the Disney Cruise ships and probably even a rocket launch. It is on the beach, has pools, a wave pool, close enough for day trips to Orlando, the space center. Close to the beach for deep sea fishing, surfing lessons etc. It is a short drive to the Canaveral National Sea Shore and its nature drives, Brevard Zoo to do the various adventures they offer like Tree Top Trek, etc. Close enough for going to Ponce Inlet lighthouse and white sand beaches on the East Coast for a day trip. Lots of great places to eat, Andretti parks for go carts, miniature golf, and games. short drive from Vero Beach for the Disney resort or a day at Sebastian Inlet State Park. You could do the bioluminescent kayak tour, air boat rides, see alligators in natural settings, and just so much to keep from being bored. Lots of tourist and surf shops to explore.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:17 AM

124 posts, read 98,805 times
maybe somewhere diff like Ponte Vedra, or Destin

Old 11-23-2022, 09:27 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeCrossing View Post
maybe somewhere diff like Ponte Vedra, or Destin
The water may still be chilly there in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida