Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 11:44 AM

236 posts, read 388,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Never been to Ocean City but Myrtle Beach was flat out gross. Course I live in a friendly, small Florida beach town so my opinion and experience is skewed. I can see it appeals to a lot of other people for some unknown to me reason.
Are we talking about Ocean City NJ or Ocean City, MD? Ocean City, NJ is a dry town and very family friendly. Ocean City, MD is not as nice as Ocean City, NJ but both Ocean Cities are much nicer than Myrtle Beach. Wildwood, NJ is more comparable to Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 06:30 AM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I'd like to stay under $500 per night. Any thoughts?
You might be able to do that in the Panhandle.....and it's a shorter drive for you

Old 12-05-2022, 07:08 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
You might be able to do that in the Panhandle.....and it's a shorter drive for you
The panhandle would be nice. I looked there initially and didn't find anything affordable that I liked... I need to look again though. But yes, the drive from Indiana would be shorter so that would be ideal.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:07 AM

451 posts, read 456,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I agree! It feels too cold now whenever the water temp is below 85f.
I have to admit I'm headed in the same direction. When we first moved to florida I thought our pool was just fine at 75. Now I won't even dip a toe below 80.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Never been to Ocean City but Myrtle Beach was flat out gross. Course I live in a friendly, small Florida beach town so my opinion and experience is skewed. I can see it appeals to a lot of other people for some unknown to me reason.
It's an experience for the kids, not so much the adults. I grew up around the Jersey beach towns and had a wonderful summer every year. As an adult a neighbor talked me into a vacation at Kiawah Island. It was like an expensive funeral. I'd probably appreciate it now at 70. I enjoy the beaches in Vero but my now middle age kids don't.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:22 PM

Ok, genuinely curious. For our situation (family with two small kids) would you prefer staying on Treasure Island or St. Pete beach. I've got booked two different hotels at the moment for the end of June.

Initially I booked the Hilton Garden Inn St. Pete Beach because it looks newer and had mostly great reviews. The ocean front rooms were $600+ per night so I just went with a generic balcony room (I'm sure it would be fine).

Then I came across the Bilmar Beach Resort on Treasure Island and it looks like an older but remodeled hotel that seems like a better deal (bigger room, beachfront view, etc.).

Any thoughts on these two beaches/areas? Which one would be more family friendly? Or which one would you prefer?

Old 12-07-2022, 12:43 PM

I was just talking to a friend from up north and he says he stays at Marco Beach Ocean Resort 1211 on Marco
Island. He says you could get a week for under 3K that time of year. Give it a look.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:59 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Ok, genuinely curious. For our situation (family with two small kids) would you prefer staying on Treasure Island or St. Pete beach. I've got booked two different hotels at the moment for the end of June.

Initially I booked the Hilton Garden Inn St. Pete Beach because it looks newer and had mostly great reviews. The ocean front rooms were $600+ per night so I just went with a generic balcony room (I'm sure it would be fine).

Then I came across the Bilmar Beach Resort on Treasure Island and it looks like an older but remodeled hotel that seems like a better deal (bigger room, beachfront view, etc.).

Any thoughts on these two beaches/areas? Which one would be more family friendly? Or which one would you prefer?
I’d be largely indifferent, but might lean towards Treasure Island. The Postcard Inn is near by the Hilton Garden Inn and it used to be the party spot, not sure if it still is. That’s probably not the most family oriented part of St. Pete Beach.

My favorite spot is Pass-a-Grille a bit further south. How much was the Don CeSar by comparison? That’s the place to stay if you can.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’d be largely indifferent, but might lean towards Treasure Island. The Postcard Inn is near by the Hilton Garden Inn and it used to be the party spot, not sure if it still is. That’s probably not the most family oriented part of St. Pete Beach.

My favorite spot is Pass-a-Grille a bit further south. How much was the Don CeSar by comparison? That’s the place to stay if you can.
I should have booked at the Don CeSar while they were still doing their black friday sales. I saw they had discounted room prices but decided not to book since I had just booked the reservation with the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hilton looked nice (very new). The room prices are (now) more expensive there and out of our budget (or my preferred budget). They were a great deal with the black friday sales going on. I'm just now reading people's reviews on that resort and I'm realizing I should have booked it when I had the chance... doh!

Good to know about the Postcard Inn though... not a fan of the party scene.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:04 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
You've been in Florida too long.
Ok, nobody loves SC or Maryland beaches!

Myrtle beach makes Daytona look like the French Riviera! It's awful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida