Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 12:42 PM

451 posts, read 500,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well we moved from Sarasota to Lakeland, and we love it here. Not sure it's what you are looking for but it definitely fills some of your criteria. It is a small self-contained city and convenient to Tampa or Orlando. It has many beautiful and upscale neighborhoods, loads of trees, beautiful rolling land and small hills. Loads of lakes and nature parks. A balanced mix of people of all ages, several small colleges here, middle class families and retired professionals. We do have what I consider to be good quality healthcare here. Decent restaurants for its size, plenty of health conscious people (again, loads of parks and recreational facilities, etc) We have absolutely no regrets about moving here. One of the best things is the strong sense of community here, something most of the big cities and beach towns are lacking. You might give it a look.
Thanks for your recommendation. I used to go there occasionally for work because I had a few clients there, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember much about it. I've either read about or others have mentioned Lakeland to me before as to living there. I've often said that I'm going to take a drive over to check it out, but for some reason I never do. I think it's because deep down I'm concerned about the crime rate and some other things. I realize there's crime everywhere, but Lakeland seems too small to me to be constantly on the news about this and that crime, and several have been very serious crimes! On the other hand, I can't believe some of the things that I've witnessed in Venice/Sarasota County that make me feel unsafe, which I never would have known about had I not moved here. My perspective of Lakeland and crime could also be wrong just because the Sheriff there is so dynamic and cracks me up so maybe I feel he's on TV more than he really is. I personally love that he's out there because residents need to know the truth about what's going on in our communities. You do have me curious, though, so I maybe I'll finally make that drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRetired2020 View Post
Hi LFJourney:

So sorry you are going through all this.

As a fellow senior citizen, I understand the turmoil you are dealing with.

I hope things fall in place soon for you. (Lots of hugs)
Thanks so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:17 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Thanks for your recommendation. I used to go there occasionally for work because I had a few clients there, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember much about it. I've either read about or others have mentioned Lakeland to me before as to living there. I've often said that I'm going to take a drive over to check it out, but for some reason I never do. I think it's because deep down I'm concerned about the crime rate and some other things. I realize there's crime everywhere, but Lakeland seems too small to me to be constantly on the news about this and that crime, and several have been very serious crimes! On the other hand, I can't believe some of the things that I've witnessed in Venice/Sarasota County that make me feel unsafe, which I never would have known about had I not moved here. My perspective of Lakeland and crime could also be wrong just because the Sheriff there is so dynamic and cracks me up so maybe I feel he's on TV more than he really is. I personally love that he's out there because residents need to know the truth about what's going on in our communities. You do have me curious, though, so I maybe I'll finally make that drive.
I understand. Lots of times people get preconceived ideas about how good or bad someplace is just based on various factors.. I can tell you that Sarasota DEFINITELY has a lot higher crime rate than gets reported, the police told me so themselves. That is because of the "tourist" factor - can't scare those $$$ off. You might hear more about crime in Lakeland/Polk County due to our unbelievably GREAT sheriff. This is a good thing, I guarantee you!

As for Lakeland, most people are unbelievably surprised how nice it is here. Mind you like any other city or town it has its good and bad parts (just like Sarasota) and it is easy enough to avoid the bad. Anywhere from downtown on south is mostly beautiful and safe, with certain neighborhoods being more upscale than others. True it is a smaller city, but completely self -contained with everything you could need. A big emphasis on outdoor recreation here, with it's many parks, bike paths, outdoor trails etc. If you come check out the beautiful new Bonnet Springs Park. I think you might be pleasantly surprised!

https://www.bonnetspringspark.com/

Hollis Garden/Lake Mirror:

https://visitcentralflorida.org/featured/hollis-garden/

Lake Hollingsworth:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/f...ingsworth-loop

Old 11-15-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
He stated he didn't like the regional airport ten miles from his home so I assume that might be the reason.
Thanks. Having that airport so close to my home was definitely something that I wasn't crazy about, so you're correct that this is one of the reasons that I'm hesitant to move back, although I've often thought about it. OTOH, when I talked to one of my prior neighbors about six months ago, she said that things had gotten better with the airport, although people were still afraid of flying with Covid back then. Probably the biggest reason is it might cause me more stress because it will be a daily reminder that my other house was paid off and it cost me a whole lot less money back in 1992 than I'll now pay for living in the same area and in probably a much less desirable neighborhood/community. It will also be a big slap in the face to have to purchase things again that I no longer have. It just seems that it will ultimately be less painful if I can find a great community in a different area that's as nice and I'll end up loving just as much. However, based on the several comments asking why I don't move back there does make me think about it again.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Can't help you with your Florida question but you're not alone, I lost an easy million dollars by moving 6 years ago. Like the great philosopher Forrest Gump once said, life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
Thank you for the great Forrest Gump reminder. By the time I purchase my next home and everything else that needs to go in it (again!), who knows how much this will totally cost me in the end. You obviously have handled it much better than I have so I'd love to know your secret as to how you got past it because sometimes I think my life will never be the same.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
My friend was in the same boat as you, about the same age, alone, owning a house with a pool in a county next to Orlando she wanted to get rid of. She thought about going near the beach to Melbourne but she moved into a townhouse near Windermere instead. Did you think about going into a townhouse or condo? You could have moved to Wekiva in Longwood or similar and stayed in your area of Lake Mary. I was always impressed with Wekiva years ago, don't know if it changed, I liked how some of the town homes had the master bedroom downstairs and how well kept the grounds are.
Thanks. I'm very curious - do you know why your friend chose Windermere over Melbourne and would she move to Windermere again if she had her life to live over? I don't know much about Windermere because it was on the complete opposite side of Orlando compared to where I lived, but it has been on my list of possible areas to look into. I'm not sure, but I believe that Windermere may have a lot more condos and townhomes than Lake Mary, which doesn't interest me. I want a single family home.

I'm very familiar with the Wekiva Springs area, and it's a great area, too. It's only one exit up on I4 from where I lived. It's older than Lake Mary, at least where I lived in Lake Mary, and most of the neighborhoods aren't gated, which is okay because it's a very nice, safe area. I know a lot of people who live in Wekiva Springs go to Lake Mary for shopping, doctors, etc., which isn't that far.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not getting the concern over increased air traffic at Sanford International given 90% of Lake Mary is nowhere near the flight paths.
I heard things have gotten better since I left two very long years ago, but it was definitely an issue in Heathrow...for sure! And anytime I was out and about running errands on Lake Mary Boulevard or Rinehart Road or 46A or wherever I was going, I often felt there was a very low flying and extremely loud jet over my head. In fact, there were times that I'd be outside the pool store or wherever having a conversation, and it was difficult to hear what the other person was saying. Lake Mary is so wonderful with tons of upscale communities so it was hard for me to understand why they let that airport get to the point of becoming such a nuisance. When I moved to the area in 1992, I didn't even know there was an airport there, and it was many years (thankfully) before it became so active.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Life is a series of good and not so good decisions. We tend not to focus on all the good ones. The OP sold his house for a good price and had made good decisions up to that point -- rarely renting.

I have made decisions that resulted in selling a home for a gain, selling a home for a loss, renting a home for what was initially to be one year for three years while waiting for my new construction home as buying dried up and the builder put things on hold, sold a home in the 08 housing recession, etc.

When you make so many good ones or ones where you luck out, you think you are immune to bad ones or where you aren't so lucky.

Focus on the good ones you made vs. one poor one with the confidence you will make good ones again in the future.
Thanks, Maddie104, for letting us know your experiences and for your words of wisdom, which is helpful.
Once I'm living in my new home, I'm sure it will be much easier for me to cope with and get past everything that has happened. I just hope my life gets back to normal sooner rather than later.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
What about the Ocala or Gainesville areas?
Thanks for the suggestions, but those areas are way too remote for me. One of the many issues that I have with Venice is that I'm constantly frustrated that they don't have anything I want to buy, not enough doctors, limited restaurants, no nothing! More times than not, I walk into a store and the shelves are almost empty.
The problem is many of these stores are run so poorly and/or they just don't have the infrastructure here to accommodate for the growth or for anything. When I'm looking for something, the stores always remind me that they're a small store. I'm used to a bigger city where they actually have food and merchandise in the stores and plenty of restaurants, doctors and pretty much anything I want or need. I miss that...a lot...and I'm tired of looking up on my phone for an item that I want to go buy and it shows "Not sold in this store" or "Out of stock." This happens more times than not, and I'm talking basic things like the frozen Wyman's wild blueberries or some skincare items, etc., that I used to regularly buy in Lake Mary. It's maddening. And this isn't because of Covid either. It's just how things are here in Venice. Sadly.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Done. Sorry.
No problem. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida