Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 03:58 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The OP was more about development. Compared to the other major cities, its CBD is most definitely stagnant.
There are primarily 3 reasons for this:

Lack of leadership, with no true vision.

The loss of thousands of white collar jobs to the Southside, especially on the Northbank.

The largest property owner, the First Baptist Church. They are sitting on block after block of tax free parking lots that have been empty for decades. They also have way too much power and influence over what doesn't get built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 04:22 AM

747 posts, read 497,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Why is a building boom a good thing? I don't believe building more = good.
Not necessarily a building boom, per se, but stagnation is a death knell for cities. DT Jacksonville and its surrounding urban area are on the verge of completely dying out. In that scenario, more building does = good because it means a city is evolving and at the very least, growing and still in use. Jacksonville is one of the very few Sunbelt cities that’s on he verge of dying. If it wasn’t so spread out to the beaches, it would be declining in population as its CBD goes largely ignored. You don’t think that’s a bad thing?

It’s just a shame because the city has SO much potential. It can easily be a world city like Houston or an up-and-coming city like Nashville. Instead it’s nearly going in the opposite direction, like Cleveland and Memphis.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:40 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
It’s just a shame because the city has SO much potential. It can easily be a world city like Houston or an up-and-coming city like Nashville. Instead it’s nearly going in the opposite direction, like Cleveland and Memphis.
Sorry, had to interject. Cleveland is NOT going the opposite direction.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:43 AM

17,162 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Not necessarily a building boom, per se, but stagnation is a death knell for cities. DT Jacksonville and its surrounding urban area are on the verge of completely dying out. In that scenario, more building does = good because it means a city is evolving and at the very least, growing and still in use. Jacksonville is one of the very few Sunbelt cities that’s on he verge of dying. If it wasn’t so spread out to the beaches, it would be declining in population as its CBD goes largely ignored. You don’t think that’s a bad thing?

I agree.

Jacksonville and Tampa both have the strongest urban bones in the state, and are both in prime locations. It’s a pity that Jacksonville isn’t what it could be. It looks great when driving in from I-95.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:10 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
You also have to take into consideration St Johns County, which is a southern suburb of Jacksonville. This is where we call home and I can tell you without question this is one of the fastest growing counties in all of Florida and for a while, we were one of the fastest growing counties in the entire U.S.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...n-us-last-year

Most of us include St Johns County as Jacksonville, just as you would include suburbs like Hinsdale or Willmette as "Chicago."

So while Jacksonville proper may not be seeing explosive growth, areas all around it including St Johns, Nassau, Clay, etc. are growing very rapidly.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry, had to interject. Cleveland is NOT going the opposite direction.
The city of Cleveland has been declining in population since the 50s.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You also have to take into consideration St Johns County, which is a southern suburb of Jacksonville. This is where we call home and I can tell you without question this is one of the fastest growing counties in all of Florida and for a while, we were one of the fastest growing counties in the entire U.S.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...n-us-last-year

Most of us include St Johns County as Jacksonville, just as you would include suburbs like Hinsdale or Willmette as "Chicago."

So while Jacksonville proper may not be seeing explosive growth, areas all around it including St Johns, Nassau, Clay, etc. are growing very rapidly.
If the I-Drive area was driving all of the growth in Orlando, I’d be concerned as a resident. If Wesley Chapel was the cause of Tampa’s growth, as a resident, I’d be concerned. This is an issue because if the beaches and St. John’s county pull population away from Jacksonville, along with it go jobs, money, infrastructure repairs, funding, and a lot more. A city core dying is never a good thing, especially if the growth is outside of city limits.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Quote:

I would say it’s even worse than Memphis and Cleveland. Memphis population is steady and has a lot of development occurring downtown. Memphis also has world class tourist center that is Beale Street.

Cleveland utilizes it’s downtown tremendously with East 4th Street, the current Flats, as well as the Theater district and having Pro Sports teams.

Jax has nothing to attract visitors or residents to downtown. It is literally a dead city, no one uses the River walk, there are hardly any decent restaurants to eat at and hotels are few and far between. A really underwhelming city in a beautiful location. Has so much potential.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:28 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I would say it’s even worse than Memphis and Cleveland. Memphis population is steady and has a lot of development occurring downtown. Memphis also has world class tourist center that is Beale Street.

Cleveland utilizes it’s downtown tremendously with East 4th Street, the current Flats, as well as the Theater district and having Pro Sports teams.

Jax has nothing to attract visitors or residents to downtown. It is literally a dead city, no one uses the River walk, there are hardly any decent restaurants to eat at and hotels are few and far between. A really underwhelming city in a beautiful location. Has so much potential.
I would agree with this.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:01 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
Jacksonville is very segregated. I don't see a good solution for Downtown development without gentrification and displacing a lot of poor black people and that is controversial.

Quote:
If the I-Drive area was driving all of the growth in Orlando, I’d be concerned as a resident. If Wesley Chapel was the cause of Tampa’s growth, as a resident, I’d be concerned. This is an issue because if the beaches and St. John’s county pull population away from Jacksonville, along with it go jobs, money, infrastructure repairs, funding, and a lot more. A city core dying is never a good thing, especially if the growth is outside of city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida