Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 12:32 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTwoThree View Post
When was the last time you went to downtown Tampa and downtown Orlando? Both areas are exploding. Jacksonville’s downtown cannot compare in any way to Tampa’s.
Agreed.
There is no comparison whatsoever between downtown Orlando and downtown Jacksonville, and even downtown Tampa and downtown Jacksonville. None at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 09:56 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTwoThree View Post
When was the last time you went to downtown Tampa and downtown Orlando? Both areas are exploding. Jacksonville’s downtown cannot compare in any way to Tampa’s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Agreed.
There is no comparison whatsoever between downtown Orlando and downtown Jacksonville, and even downtown Tampa and downtown Jacksonville. None at all.
Downtown Jax cannot compare to those downtowns. But the poster seemed to be thinking "urban core" since he referenced the urban core neighborhoods, and I do think Jax's overall urban core besides downtown holds up quite well.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:12 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I love San Marco (it's where I typically stay during my stays in Jax) but quite frankly, I hate how dead the streets are. Feels like I'm trespassing when out for a walk or jog. Where is everyone?
It's probably two things.
1) Wrong time...I lived in San Marco and there were certain pockets at certain times (early evenings and weekend nights) where there was decent vibrancy
2) It's just not that vibrant or dense. Riverside always had way more vibrancy, in part because of higher density and in part because of many more offices. San Marco is mostly residential with a few corridors of mostly boutique retail. Riverside was pretty mixed use for retail, office and residential, and its retail offerings are quite diverse.

Things are improving for San Marco though, there are half a dozen multifamily projects that have just been or are in the process of building all on the fringes of the neighborhood which will add a noticeable amount of people in the area over the next year. In the heart of San Marco there have been two pieces of property that were ripe for major redevelopment the past 2 decades. One of them just recently got the green light for multifamily as it had been stuck in a battle with the NIMBY folks for being too high density. Well, they finally gave up and have thrown in the towel after multiple appeals so the developers are preparing the site now. The other one is not looking so hot, but it will be the biggest trophy of all if it ever happens. If you've explored San Marco when you're visiting then I'm sure you're familiar with it...it's like a 3 block dirt lot one block from San Marco Square that's been sitting like that since 2008, when its original construction was delayed. If it ever happens it will be much closer to what you are probably envisioning.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
It's probably two things.
1) Wrong time...I lived in San Marco and there were certain pockets at certain times (early evenings and weekend nights) where there was decent vibrancy
2) It's just not that vibrant or dense. Riverside always had way more vibrancy, in part because of higher density and in part because of many more offices. San Marco is mostly residential with a few corridors of mostly boutique retail. Riverside was pretty mixed use for retail, office and residential, and its retail offerings are quite diverse.

Things are improving for San Marco though, there are half a dozen multifamily projects that have just been or are in the process of building all on the fringes of the neighborhood which will add a noticeable amount of people in the area over the next year. In the heart of San Marco there have been two pieces of property that were ripe for major redevelopment the past 2 decades. One of them just recently got the green light for multifamily as it had been stuck in a battle with the NIMBY folks for being too high density. Well, they finally gave up and have thrown in the towel after multiple appeals so the developers are preparing the site now. The other one is not looking so hot, but it will be the biggest trophy of all if it ever happens. If you've explored San Marco when you're visiting then I'm sure you're familiar with it...it's like a 3 block dirt lot one block from San Marco Square that's been sitting like that since 2008, when its original construction was delayed. If it ever happens it will be much closer to what you are probably envisioning.
San Marco may not be as active as riverside but it's by no means dead. San Marco is much more vibrant and aesthetically pleasing than Downtown proper (north of the st johns river). Downtown east of main street and north of Forsyth st feels very depressed and filled with drug-addicts. Parts of downtown feels scarier than my own neighborhood (I live in the 32209 area in the Chase and 29th neighborhood). San Marco I don't get a blighted vibe at all it's just not as many young artist types hang out over there as the areas southwest of downtown.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:22 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
San Marco may not be as active as riverside but it's by no means dead. San Marco is much more vibrant and aesthetically pleasing than Downtown proper (north of the st johns river). Downtown east of main street and north of Forsyth st feels very depressed and filled with drug-addicts. Parts of downtown feels scarier than my own neighborhood (I live in the 32209 area in the Chase and 29th neighborhood). San Marco I don't get a blighted vibe at all it's just not as many young artist types hang out over there as the areas southwest of downtown.
What do you think of Springfield?

Old 10-28-2020, 09:54 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I recall visiting Jacksonville for a conference for a few days back in 2011 or 2012 and I drove there from the Atlanta area where I lived at the time. Although not my first time being in Jacksonville, it was my first time exploring the core a bit and afterwards, I was truly puzzled that this sizable city with solid urban bones, a largely intact grid system, and a gorgeous river running through the heart of the core could be so absolutely devoid of street life. It's honestly maddening to me that after all these years, Jacksonville still hasn't gotten it together with respect to its downtown and it's quite a nice-looking city to me. When city leadership can't even manage to build the most basic of civic amenities to at least get a population of visitors cycling through downtown on a semi-consistent basis--an actual convention center--that says it all. That old train station is not a real convention center.

If I were a resident of the city, I would've already shown up to a few city council meetings and cussed every council member out for letting such built-in assets go to waste while cities with less to work with have done so much more.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:18 PM

23 posts, read 14,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
It’s the most bizarre thing. Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and St. Pete are absolutely on fire. They’re growing at a fast pace, building feverishly, and their downtowns are all constructing towers and making the CBD more urban, lovely, and walkable. But Jacksonville isn’t. It’s kinda stagnant. Is there a reason to this? Why are all the other large cities in Florida improving but not Jacksonville? I’m genuinely interested.
It’s very simple… The criminal “vibrancy” crowd.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:52 PM

490 posts, read 517,577 times
Because of its size. It’s the largest city in America.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:04 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Because of its size. It’s the largest city in America.
Try #5, Sitka ALaska wins the #1 spot

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-in-us-by-area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida