Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2022, 02:24 AM

35,036 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I’m a democrat, mind you, not right wing at all.
Another sane, left-wing Democrat? That's what I am. Join the crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
ETA I noticed upthread that you find Florida’s handling of the pandemic “disgusting”. You should just save everyone the trouble and move to some other state while you’re ahead of the game if this state is so “disgusting” to you.
Some people are lockdown or mask-monkeys. I don't know this poster so I'll reserve judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 07:49 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Date...................Total Cases.....Total Deaths....New Cases.....New Deaths....Today's Tests
Thur 04/28...........5,964,989........73,948
Fri 04/29..............5,969,659........73,948........... 4,670...............NR..............43,781

Thanks for keeping up the good work. I read all of your posts.

Ignore the Big Lie propagandists who spread nothing but deceit, ignorance, and insults. I doubt if they believe their own spiel, making them doubly disgusting, as they contribute to the excess cases of death and long COVID disability in Florida relative to political jurisdictions that respect science.

Michael Lewis (perhaps most famous for "Moneyball" and the "The Blind Side"), arguably America's greatest living expository writer, discusses his "The Premonition: A Pandemic Story" during this 4/29 interview, a transcript of which should be available on Monday. I thought of you when Lewis said that the COVID death toll in Miami has been 3 1/2 times greater than in San Francisco, which employed science-based public health measures rather than polarizing political agendas, and, of course, Miami has been stellar compared to many other locations in Florida where anti-mask and anti-vaccine cult indoctrination is prevalent. Lewis laments the fact that nobody is investigating the difference in outcomes throughout the U.S., and compares it to similar discrepancies in outcome during the Spanish Flu Pandemic in the U.S. Listen to Lewis' take on the COVID pandemic beginning at the 36:50 mark of the interview.

https://ritholtz.com/2022/04/mib-mic...r/#more-291733

We just have to put up with the wrong-headed, derogatory propaganda so prevalent in this thread and forum, but I've decided it's a massive waste of time to debate with the evil clowns who propagate it. Just stick to the facts, which you do so well!

Note that the discussion in the Lewis interview speculates that another surge is on the horizon. Due to antiviral pills, hopefully Florida hospitals won't suffer so much this time, but to be effective, persons must be tested in order to be prescribed antivirals. Testing likely won't occur to the extent persons believe COVID is no more serious than the modern flu, a ridiculous, false belief perpetuated by the evil clowns in this thread and by certain Florida politicians.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-01-2022 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-01-2022, 08:44 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,487,302 times
Default Saturday 04/30/2022 Update

No report for Saturday 04/30/2022.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:22 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Miami has been stellar compared to many other locations in Florida where anti-mask and anti-vaccine cult indoctrination is prevalent.
Miami-Dade has by far the most deaths of any county in Florida at 6,472. Broward is second at 3,079 and Palm Beach is third at 2,883.

In contrast, Duval county (Jacksonville) has 1,483 deaths.

Source: https://usafacts.org/visualizations/.../state/florida

Miami-Dade population is 2.7 million, and Duval is around 1 million, so even adjusting for population, Miami-Dade is worse.

Now COVID deaths is how a naive person looks at the pandemic. At least look at all-cause excess mortality - something that measures lives lost both to the virus and pandemic protocols.

California and Florida are tied, at 18.8%. California did marginally better with deaths from COVID (when you adjust for age and co-morbidity factors) but killed more people with their harsher pandemic protocols, so it ended up a wash.

An even better measure than all-cause excess mortality would be QALY (quality adjusted life years) lost, but I never seen that done.

An 85 year old who dies of the pandemic vs a 25 year old who dies of a drug OD would be counted the same - as an excess death but in reality one is far more impactful, and that is what QALY would take care of.

This is an example of simple minds = simple analysis.

Worldometer data is not vetted, it's merely bots parsing data dumps on the internet.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Michael Lewis (perhaps most famous for "Moneyball" and the "The Blind Side"), arguably America's greatest living expository writer, discusses his "The Premonition: A Pandemic Story" during this 4/29 interview, a transcript of which should be available on Monday. I thought of you when Lewis said that the COVID death toll in Miami has been 3 1/2 times greater than in San Francisco, which employed science-based public health measures rather than polarizing political agendas, and, of course, Miami has been stellar compared to many other locations in Florida where anti-mask and anti-vaccine cult indoctrination is prevalent. Lewis laments the fact that nobody is investigating the difference in outcomes throughout the U.S., and compares it to similar discrepancies in outcome during the Spanish Flu Pandemic in the U.S. Listen to Lewis' take on the COVID pandemic beginning at the 36:50 mark of the interview.

https://ritholtz.com/2022/04/mib-mic...r/#more-291733
For Covid, The Premonition: A Pandemic Story by Michael Lewis detailed an attempt to do a real-life experiment, based on an idea from an Eighth Grade science project. Michael Lewis is basically a reflexive lockdown artist. Let me explain.

This article, With Premonition, Michael Lewis Gets It Backwards By Jeffrey A. Tucker (link), in my view, has a lot of merit. Search in this article for "high-school science fair" and the word "Glass" (the name of the science-fair experimenters). It makes fascinating reading.

Jeffrey Tucker had written me back from an email I wrote with a review of The Premonition: A Pandemic Story by Michael Lewis which I posted on this site. The book discussed in detail the original science "experiment" in an eighth grade science fair project in 2003. Michael Lewis seems all in favor of this experiment. Michael Lewis is implicitly saying that we should have performed non-pharmaceutical interventions ("NPIs"). When I say "implicitly" he faults the CDC for not utilizing NPIs in threatened pandemics as early as swine flu (1976) on including the 2003 SARS and 2009 H1N1. NPIs are essentially lockdowns; closures of schools, businesses, places of assembly, mandating social distancing and restricting travel, with the goal of somehow eliminating a virus. The problem is obvious; society cannot function for lengthy periods or frequently in lockdown. Nowhere was the educational or social cost of the remedy discussed. The book's focus was purely on epidemiology. One cannot shut down a society three times in a 20-year period.

The real motivation for these lockdowns was that it was the golden chance that certain classes had to punish "privilege" and to punish those who seemed well off. An example. In my village they padlocked the tennis courts the day after they were crowded with players, of course distanced (if you get within six feet of another tennis player during play you are likely to be hit with a racket or ball), enjoying an early mild day, in late March 2020. That's when I decided this was about affluent guilt. Of course, as we learned from Pelosi, Newsome and Lightfoot, and Governor Whitmer's husband they find other ways to enjoy themselves surreptitiously. The level of destruction of freedom, educational values and civil society was immense. When the lack of results and mess are there for all to see, many of these officials will be out of office or long dead.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:12 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For Covid, The Premonition: A Pandemic Story by Michael Lewis detailed an attempt to do a real-life experiment, based on an idea from an Eighth Grade science project. Michael Lewis is basically a reflexive lockdown artist. Let me explain.

This article, With Premonition, Michael Lewis Gets It Backwards By Jeffrey A. Tucker (link), in my view, has a lot of merit. Search in this article for "high-school science fair" and the word "Glass" (the name of the science-fair experimenters). It makes fascinating reading.

Jeffrey Tucker had written me back from an email I wrote with a review of The Premonition: A Pandemic Story by Michael Lewis which I posted on this site. The book discussed in detail the original science "experiment" in an eighth grade science fair project in 2003. Michael Lewis seems all in favor of this experiment. Michael Lewis is implicitly saying that we should have performed non-pharmaceutical interventions ("NPIs"). When I say "implicitly" he faults the CDC for not utilizing NPIs in threatened pandemics as early as swine flu (1976) on including the 2003 SARS and 2009 H1N1. NPIs are essentially lockdowns; closures of schools, businesses, places of assembly, mandating social distancing and restricting travel, with the goal of somehow eliminating a virus. The problem is obvious; society cannot function for lengthy periods or frequently in lockdown. Nowhere was the educational or social cost of the remedy discussed. The book's focus was purely on epidemiology. One cannot shut down a society three times in a 20-year period.

The real motivation for these lockdowns was that it was the golden chance that certain classes had to punish "privilege" and to punish those who seemed well off. An example. In my village they padlocked the tennis courts the day after they were crowded with players, of course distanced (if you get within six feet of another tennis player during play you are likely to be hit with a racket or ball), enjoying an early mild day, in late March 2020. That's when I decided this was about affluent guilt. Of course, as we learned from Pelosi, Newsome and Lightfoot, and Governor Whitmer's husband they find other ways to enjoy themselves surreptitiously. The level of destruction of freedom, educational values and civil society was immense. When the lack of results and mess are there for all to see, many of these officials will be out of office or long dead.

Science fair? Ridiculous misrepresentation of "The Premonition." Don't you have any shame in spreading your disingenuous propaganda? Persons should read "The Premonition" and learn for themselves what the book actually is about if they don't want to rely on reputable reviews.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/06/b...ael-lewis.html

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/may/05/the-premonition-by-michael-lewis-review-a-pandemic-story

Several of my posts in this thread and elsewhere in this forum have documented the great economic cost of the American mismanagement of this pandemic, including trillions of dollars to federal fiscal aid and certainly a major reason for our current inflation given the trillions more in monetary stimulus the Fed unleashed to avoid a Depression.

This post from the Economics forum sums up the impact of mismanaged pandemic on the American work force and productivity.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/econo...l#post63338512

Only the Big Lie propagandists that populate this forum would miss how much better nations that implemented robust public health measures informed by science fared economically than the U.S.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-02-2022 at 02:42 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Only the Big Lie propagandists that populate this forum would miss how much better nations that implemented robust public health measures informed by science fared economically than the U.S.
By "robust public health measures informed by science" do you mean vaccines, in which case I agree with them or "non-pharmaceutical interventions" (NPI),, a fancy name for lockdown? I am not an ideologue so don't paint me with the same brush as the anti-vaxxers.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:54 PM

Default Sunday 05/01/2022 Update

Date...................Total Cases.....Total Deaths....New Cases.....New Deaths....Today's Tests
Fri 04/29..............5,969,659........73,948
Sun 05/01.............5,977,819........74,005........... 8,160..............57................NR

Numbers are for 2 days.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:17 PM

Default Monday 05/02/2022 Update

Sun 05/01.............5,977,819........74,005
Mon 05/02.............5,980,682........74,010........... 2,863..............5................102,437

Old 05-04-2022, 08:20 PM

Default Tuesday 05/03/2022 Update

Date...................Total Cases......Total Deaths.....New Cases.....New Deaths....Today's Tests
Mon 05/02.............5,980,682.........74,010
Tues 05/03.............5,985,711.........74,010........... 5,029..............NR...............45,579
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida