Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 03:42 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Quoting from the Forbes article that WRNative posted:

“There are some weaknesses with the study. The biggest one is that the number of participants in the study was just too small to make very precise estimates of effectiveness. So, for instance, although the best estimate of risk reduction due to wearing an N95/KN95 is 0.17, the confidence interval ranges all the way from 0.05 to 0.64. For this reason, statistical tests seeking to make fine-grained distinctions between the effectiveness of different masks types or usage patterns were inconclusive.”

Convincing evidence? Not really.
Not really?

If it's likely that N-95 masks reduce infection by 83 percent, with a best case that they reduce infection by 95 percent, and the worst case is they reduce infection by 36 percent, I'll take those odds any day.

Quote:
As for Florida, I just looked up California. Same results. Do we blame Newsome too?

What did you look up and what specifically did it say? Please substantiate with links to your source material.

There are several posts in this thread explaining in great detail how California has far exceeded Florida in dealing with the COVID pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 06:02 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I’m no genius. I used your link for Florida and since you can look up other states I decided to check out the COVID worshipping state of California and their stats are red, high risk too.

Someone on CD wrote me that you’re in Ohio and I looked that up and you’ll be proud to know that that state’s metrics put it in the green, but you knew that, didn’t you?

As CD’s COVID czar, I’m sure you have alerted the forums on other states (although when I did travel to California a few months ago and checked the COVID threads to see what people were saying about risks, I didn’t see any posts from you. Wonder if I missed them?)

Old 07-08-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I’m no genius. I used your link for Florida and since you can look up other states I decided to check out the COVID worshipping state of California and their stats are red, high risk too.

Someone on CD wrote me that you’re in Ohio and I looked that up and you’ll be proud to know that that state’s metrics put it in the green, but you knew that, didn’t you?

As CD’s COVID czar, I’m sure you have alerted the forums on other states (although when I did travel to California a few months ago and checked the COVID threads to see what people were saying about risks, I didn’t see any posts from you. Wonder if I missed them?)

What stats are high in CA, especially compared to FL? What did you look up? Don't you know how to copy and paste links?

Why do you consider CA a COVID worshiping state when it's leaders go to great lengths to suppress infections and community spread? Isn't FL the COVID worshiping state when its political leaders downplay the seriousness and impact of COVID infections and promote community spread as the best way to handle the epidemic (ingrained idiocy/deceit IMO).

I'm more than willing to discuss specific facts. I'm unwilling to spend time attempting to figure out what you're talking about when you are comparing states.

Anybody can read through this thread and find my several posts where I compared COVID management in CA with FL, providing a substantiated, factual discussion.

Why is the FL forum so populated with individuals who believe they can post unsubstantiated, factually inaccurate statements and assume that anybody should provide them with any credibility???

BTW, OH is dominated by Republicans who are only marginally better at implementing public health measures than FL. Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine at least attempts to reign in the Republican legislature's efforts to introduce anti-vax, anti-mask legislation, unlike FL Gov. Ron DeSantis who promotes such measures, and that makes a difference, but only to a degree. I don't know what you mean that Ohio's "state metrics put it in the green." Hopefully, you will explain this as well, but so far your posts seem to indicate that the rest of us should be mind readers.

And if I actually were the "COVID czar," you wouldn't be happy, but Floridians, especially Florida's children, would live much longer and healthier lives on average, and Florida's healthcare system perhaps wouldn't be teetering on the brink of collapse.

<<Florida lost 70,000 people to Covid. It’s still not prepared for the next wave.

A report by the Florida Hospital Association estimates 70 percent of Florida hospitals are facing a critical staffing shortage, and the state will be short 60,000 nurses by 2035.>>

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-wave-00029091

Last edited by WRnative; 07-08-2022 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-08-2022, 07:51 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,164,508 times
Covid is over!!

Old 07-08-2022, 08:05 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Covid is over!!
Hopefully it's over for me, I'm going to get tested today to see if I'm negative. I caught it recently, tested positive on Sunday, July 3. I would not want to wish this on my worst enemy.

Stay safe, Florida!

Old 07-08-2022, 10:02 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I feel like I’m living in the middle of the Idiocracy movie. WRNative from Ohio sends a link bashing Florida from COVID Act Now but can’t be bothered to use that same website to look up California. Change the search from Florida to California.

https://covidactnow.org/us/california-ca/?s=36582423

Stand on one side of the road and hold up a Masks Work sign. Refer to your links.

I’ll stand on the other side with my sign that says But Sample Size Is Too Small. And refer to your links.

Also hold up a protest sign from COVID Act Now with Florida’s high risk stats.

And, using that same website, I’ll hold up California’s high risk stats.

Wow, I’m astonished at our combined brilliance and deductive reasoning. I need sunglasses.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I feel like I’m living in the middle of the Idiocracy movie. WRNative from Ohio sends a link bashing Florida from COVID Act Now but can’t be bothered to use that same website to look up California. Change the search from Florida to California.

https://covidactnow.org/us/california-ca/?s=36582423

Stand on one side of the road and hold up a Masks Work sign. Refer to your links.

I’ll stand on the other side with my sign that says But Sample Size Is Too Small. And refer to your links.

Also hold up a protest sign from COVID Act Now with Florida’s high risk stats.

And, using that same website, I’ll hold up California’s high risk stats.

Wow, I’m astonished at our combined brilliance and deductive reasoning. I need sunglasses.

Actually, I had checked covidactnow.org for both CA, FL, OH, and the entire U.S., and had a good hunch what you were talking about. I'm just sick of persons in this thread making statements that they won't substantiate. It's laughable that you feel aggrieved because you were finally forced to substantiate your comment. Now that you have done so, we can discuss what's happening.

Sadly, even frighteningly, the new BA.5 variant is the most contagious COVID virus yet, and it's evading vaccine and even natural immunity. As explained in this NBC news report from last night, even boosted individuals and those who had COVID recently are becoming infected again. See the 11-minute mark here:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...h-143623237970

<<High levels of at least partial immunity from vaccines and past infection continue to prevent the worst outcomes—mass hospitalization and death. But globally, raw case numbers are surging, with serious implications for potentially millions of people who face a growing risk of long-term illness.>>

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2118915.html

There is one good indication that the BA.5 surge in Florida already is significantly worse than in California. FL weekly hospital admissions per 100,000 residents is now at 22.3. For California, the admissions statistic is only 11.7, almost half as much.

https://covidactnow.org/us/florida-fl/?s=36582423

https://covidactnow.org/us/california-ca/?s=36662424

It's already anticipated that CA will react to these rising admission rates by re-establishing mask mandates. Inspired by DeSantis' bad mask and vaccine statements and policies, it's likely that mask mandates will be resisted in Florida, especially if BA.5 is still surging as schools reopen.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-mask-mandate

California always has had much higher testing rates than Florida, which exaggerates any comparison of its case totals with Florida. As Californians likely respect the dangers of COVID more than Floridians, on average, if they test positive at home they likely are more likely to obtain a COVID PCR test in order to qualify for an anti-viral treatment.

Even though vaccines aren't 100 percent effective in blocking infection, they do minimize the severity of any infection. Higher vaccination rates and booster rates in CA, likely reflecting superior state vaccine policies and even mandates, likely account for part of the lower hospital admission rates in CA than in FL.

The CDC reports 67.7 of Floridians are fully vaccinated, with 41.8 percent (only 28.3 of all Floridians) of those having a first booster. The respective numbers for CA are 72.9, 54.7, and 39.9 percent.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...ommunityLevels

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...ommunityLevels

Given the more virulent and contagious nature of BA.5, it may be much more dangerous for children, especially if parents and other family members aren't vaccinated. Yet DeSantis is the only governor in the nation not facilitating infant vaccinations, even discouraging them.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...qiq-story.html

This disgraceful level of scientific deceit and bad policy decisions may prove disastrous for disproportionate numbers of Florida children, especially those from low income homes.

California has delayed its school COVID vaccine mandate until 2023, but this may change if BA.5 proves more problematic for children. At any rate, CA certainly will implement much more stringent mask mandates than in FL.

The result of better vaccine and masking policies in CA than in FL, likely will be an increasingly more severe surge in FL than in CA.

None of this is new. See cumulative deaths per 1 million population here. As repeatedly explained in this thread, CA COVID policy responses have improved during the epidemic while those of Florida have been repeatedly diminished.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Too little attention is paid to the risks of long COVID, especially by the anti-vax, anti-mask champions.

Too little attention is paid to long COVID, especially among the anti-vax, anti-mask champions.

<<And experts believe each COVID case could lead to long COVID, even if you were fine last time.

One in five adults experience continuing health issues after acute cases of COVID, including "persistent symptoms or organ dysfunction," according to a study published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"There does seem to be a risk of long COVID or symptoms after resolution of the acute infection in a subset of people, and we don't really know how common that is yet or how long it lasts," says Lemieux.>>

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...th-reinfection

As you are someone who believes that masks that are viral barriers and worn by medical professionals for protection against COVID aren't effective in reducing the risk of infection (and by reducing the initial viral load, the severity of the infection as the body immune response is activated), despite repeated statistical evidence, you IMO are neither brilliant nor displaying any competency in deductive reasoning. You're not only living in an "Idiocracy movie," you're one of the stars!

Last edited by WRnative; 07-08-2022 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-08-2022, 11:52 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
You all are going to get this thread shut down.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
You all are going to get this thread shut down.

That would be a ridiculous, unjustified action.

The anti-vax, anti-mask representations of posters in this thread represent the viewpoint of a significant number of Floridians, but also, as documented, the attitudes of Florida's leaders.

Rebutting these factually inaccurate, misleading statements therefore helps restore scientific reality to this important topic.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:28 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
That would be a ridiculous, unjustified action.

The anti-vax, anti-mask representations of posters in this thread represent the viewpoint of a significant number of Floridians, but also, as documented, the attitudes of Florida's leaders.

Rebutting these factually inaccurate, misleading statements therefore helps restore scientific reality to this important topic.
This also fits the CA Forum postings.

Now I wear a mask when close to people inside a store and do not eat IN restaurants, bars, etc. Oh I am vaccinated and boosted and have not had the virus. Both States have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida