Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

The following link from Wikipedia has good data from 2005 based on population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Moderator cut: copyright

http://www.largo.com/index.cfm?action=dept&drill=police&type=policing (broken link)

Last edited by sunrico90; 11-07-2006 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 11:23 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post
Translated this means what???
That i agree with the poster wholeheartedly...

Old 11-08-2006, 08:06 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
We lived in a suburb of Tampa and hardly ever locked our doors or cars for the 5 years we lived there, we never had a problem.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:38 AM

656 posts, read 1,375,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
On your post.....Have you ever looked at the FDLE Sex Offenders List? Look up how many are within 5 miles of where you live and I am sure you will be shocked....good neighborhood or not!.
....And those are only the ones FDLE knows about. They haven't been able to count the ones that stagger off the greyhound on a daily basis or those who haven't been successfully prosecuted, or the zillions that have fled other states.

You're only seeing the tip of the iceberg

Old 11-12-2006, 06:23 PM

30 posts, read 137,096 times
Default Coral Springs

I have lived in Coral Springs for 15 years and it's a very safe city to live in. Of course, just like anywhere, it's got a few bad neighborhoods, but overall, I think it's a great place to live. I personally don't like the weather down here (too hot and too many hurricanes) but the only reason I haven't moved yet is because I'm having a hard time finding a place that compares to it. It's far enough from Miami (which I wouldn't go anywhere near if you're looking for safety) but at the same time it's not in the middle of nowhere. There's a lot of parks, restaurants, and a few bars. The city is very clean and is always improving. As a matter of fact, they are currently expanding our "downtown" and adding more shops and offices, and making it more walking friendly. It's got just enough "city life" without being in a noisy, high crime area. But if you wanted that once in a while, you can travel about 30-45 minutes and be in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. The prices of homes is pretty high, and insurance cost has gone up a lot due to all the hurricanes we've had. If you're going to rent you'll probably pay around $1,200 for a two bedroom apartment, which to me is worth every penny considering that the average condo goes for around $200K + taxes + association fees + insurance + worrying about a hurricane damaging your investment. The real estate prices all over South Florida have gone up drastically, even the high crime areas, so you might as well live in a safe place.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:16 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Coral Springs currently has the honor to be rated the safest city in Florida over 100,000 population. It beat out Port St. Lucie this year, which had been the safest city in Florida for the past 6 years running, at least. PSL is now 2nd to Coral Springs. The best part is that Port St. Lucie did not get any less safe, but Coral Springs got even safer! Cape Coral is 3rd.

They also rank in the same order on the national scale, if I recall correctly, something like 7th and 8th. Plus, they are both in the top 25 safest cities of ANY SIZE, ANYWHERE IN THE NATION. That's an incredible record.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 22,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1116 View Post
I live in the Village of Wellington, PBC. I feel VERY SAFE. There are area's in PBC where there are problems but they are not places the normal middle class person would go.
Wellington is very nice, but WPB has a 900 = crime index - VERY high. Best way to shop at the PB mall off PB Lakes is still in an APC (armored personell carrier). Moderator cut: cut

Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
My parents live in Fort Myers (Gateway to be specific), in a relatively new subdivision (about 4-5 years old) of houses that are all over $500k. Just before Christmas of 2003, most of my family was out of town for the holidays, but my dad was still home. While he was home, a construction worker Moderator cut: cut broke into the house while my dad was home. He assaulted my dad and nearly killed him (broke some bones around his eye socket).

The worst part about this is, my dad identified the perp, but the police did not arrest him. The perp was a construction worker for WCI communities, a big developer here. Moderator cut: liability issues here

Florida is a cesspool of corruption.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
I dont want to have to carry and use guns. If the area is so unsafe you need a gun on you, consider relocating. I just read my newspaper a summary of all the crime in south Florida. I am worried about my parents and would pay with my own money to buy them a house in a safe area like Oil city where me and my parents will live. No offense but ill take Oil city over Florida. Safety comes first.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:37 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Personally, I really like the idea of the neighborhood crime watch approach to reducing crime. If good people move away, lock themselves in, or otherwise leave homes and streets unmonitored, of course crime will get worse.

Having guns around simply makes more guns available for theives to steal or use against their owners.

Yappy dogs and nosey old women are excellent crime deterrents. People need to get together, meet their neighbors, talk, and look out for one another. It may not be the easiest solution, but it beats running away from the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida