Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 04:16 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why? He said FL is flat and very hot and humid. It is also LOADED with a lot of rude transplants from the NE, these are all true.

Take a trip out of FL(might do you some good) and drive through Georgia, SC, and NC. You will see a noticeable difference in attitude in stores and restaurants compared to FL. You actually see manners.

Yes, they have transplants(in addition to much nicer scenery) but the difference is you move from NJ to GA there are enough natives(unlike FL) that they will tell you flat out "rude isn't going to fly here". It's a when in Rome do as the Romans do mentality that is lacking in FL due to the natives now being outnumbered.

But it is not conjecture that FL is hot, humid, flat and has a lot of rude people. You really notice it when you travel to other southeastern states and out west.
The poster said a lot more in the post to which I was referring than a mention of Florida's weather and topography, or a mention of rude NE transplants- no one even remotely familiar with the state would argue that. It was the rest of what he said ( speaking of rude) that I addressed in my comments.

I've lived in several states, am familiar with most of them, having traveled extensively over the US and have family in a number of states- so sweetums, your concern over my lack of familiarity with the people in other states- especially in GA, and the Carolinas is unwarranted, although I might get a brief chuckle out of
how off the mark it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Yes, you definitely see a difference in GA, SC and NC. Agree 100%. FL has friendly ppl but just harder to find than forementioned states.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The poster said a lot more in the post to which I was referring than a mention of Florida's weather and topography, or a mention of rude NE transplants- no one even remotely familiar with the state would argue that. It was the rest of what he said ( speaking of rude) that I addressed in my comments.

I've lived in several states, am familiar with most of them, having traveled extensively over the US and have family in a number of states- so sweetums, your concern over my lack of familiarity with the people in other states- especially in GA, and the Carolinas is unwarranted, although I might get a brief chuckle out of
how off the mark it is.
You have said you have lived in FL for around 40 yrs, so how much time have you spent living in other states?

I have lived in 5 states and have traveled to 33 states, and to not notice differences in manners and friendliness being better than FL in other places, is next to impossible.

I would say Louisiana is one of the friendliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Yes, you definitely see a difference in GA, SC and NC. Agree 100%. FL has friendly ppl but just harder to find than forementioned states.
There is a huge difference. People smile, make eye contact, and hold doors. It was a real eye opener for me as I hadn't been to those states before.

There are some very nice people in FL, not saying that, but there are a lot of rude SOBS, more than I have ever seen in one place. I call FL the "land of me first".

Old 11-29-2014, 05:39 AM

30 posts, read 35,498 times
If we can be brutally honest, if you can't muster up the moola or $ then the good life in Florida is NOT for you. High paying jobs? Ha! cheap? Ha! Easy life for the uneducated? Ha! Fresh off the boat from Cuba looking for easy street? Ha! We live in VB and love it but we are GATED with 24/7 ARMED SECURITY. We also wanted to live in a large Jewish community, a place where the Arts is alive and well and we can mingle with like minded folks. Life is wonderful. Shalom!

Old 11-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You have said you have lived in FL for around 40 yrs, so how much time have you spent living in other states?

I have lived in 5 states and have traveled to 33 states, and to not notice differences in manners and friendliness being better than FL in other places, is next to impossible.

There is a huge difference. People smile, make eye contact, and hold doors. It was a real eye opener for me as I hadn't been to those states before.

There are some very nice people in FL, not saying that, but there are a lot of rude SOBS, more than I have ever seen in one place. I call FL the "land of me first".

I've never been to Louisiana, but I dont doubt theyre pretty friendly there. Yes, NC/SC/TN/GA is in my opinion, the most friendly states. But, I havent been out west, so I cant say for sure.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
If we can be brutally honest, if you can't muster up the moola or $ then the good life in Florida is NOT for you. High paying jobs? Ha! cheap? Ha! Easy life for the uneducated? Ha! Fresh off the boat from Cuba looking for easy street? Ha! We live in VB and love it but we are GATED with 24/7 ARMED SECURITY. We also wanted to live in a large Jewish community, a place where the Arts is alive and well and we can mingle with like minded folks. Life is wonderful. Shalom!

I'm kind of confused. Life in VB is great for you but the rest of South FL sucks? I'm not sure what you mean by "ha" after each sentence.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:37 AM

292 posts, read 725,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
We're glad.
The feeling is mutual.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:

LOL, if I said how long I'd be telling how old I was, now wouldn't I? Not that it matters, so let's just say I moved to Florida in my mid-20's after I finished an advanced degree "up north". And I've been in Florida ever since.

As I said in a previous post, work-related and fun travel have taken me all over Florida, and I can't argue with the sentiment about the rudeness of many of the people in some parts of the state- particularly the southeast, and notably most of them are northeast transplants. It's just an observation, I've made out just fine with most people I've dealt with along the way, it seems most people respond in kind- or are at least civil, when they're treated with respect, straightforwardness and politeness. And IMO if you run across rudeness in some folks, they don't matter, so it's easy to not give them any thought after that brief encounter with the rudeness. It also helps a great deal not to take anything personally.

My experiences in SW Florida have been positive- while the increase in the population in the area over the years has brought some of the rudeness and impersonal-ness associated with most large metropolitan areas ( it's the crowding, I'm convinced), I've been treated well most of the time here too.

Actually, I've also been treated with consideration and courtesy when I've visited the areas around Tampa/St. Pete, so while I know there must be rude folks there too, I haven't met them.

I've visited GA, the Carolinas, as well as TN, KY and have found mostly what I'd have labeled as good old "Southern Hospitality" there over the years. I've visited Louisiana and could agree with you about the courtesy and consideration exhibited by the people who live there, although I personally found the hospitality and kindness I've experienced the most memorable a toss-up between Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. I've found folks friendly enough in Texas too- I've been to Dallas, Houston, and Austin.

I also found folks friendly and hospitable in the midwest and western states when I visited there- that'd be Ohio, Illlinois, Kansas, North and South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming- maybe it's me, I don't know.

The only place I found which reminded me very much of Miami and the folks there- in general, not friendly, and certainly not outgoing or welcoming to visitors was southern CA, but I suppose that's because of the similarity in both areas being crowded to the max, and a large, transient population, most of whom come from somewhere else.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Why? He said FL is flat and very hot and humid. It is also LOADED with a lot of rude transplants from the NE, these are all true.

Take a trip out of FL(might do you some good) and drive through Georgia, SC, and NC. You will see a noticeable difference in attitude in stores and restaurants compared to FL. You actually see manners.

Yes, they have transplants(in addition to much nicer scenery) but the difference is you move from NJ to GA there are enough natives(unlike FL) that they will tell you flat out "rude isn't going to fly here". It's a when in Rome do as the Romans do mentality that is lacking in FL due to the natives now being outnumbered.

But it is not conjecture that FL is hot, humid, flat and has a lot of rude people. You really notice it when you travel to other southeastern states and out west.
Yes, FL does not have places highly above sea level. No mountains. Florida, Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, Minnesota, Delaware, Kansas
, Texas
, Nevada and Indiana are all mostly flat. Does the landscape being flat cause a lot of people problems? I guess we dont attract too many mountain climbers here.

Yep. Hot. Humid. The state lies in the most southern part of the US. A peninsular jutting out into the sea from the rest of the country. Surrounded by water on 3 sides. Being closer to the Equator than oh, lets say Maine, the temperature is higher here most of the time. Humidity is a common factor in the weather in a semi tropical/tropical place. Many other states that are not in a tropical zone also get very humid in the summer time.

People from the NE lived in a pressure cooker. High stress, long lines, crowded, traffic, varying weather from decent in May to extremely cold in January. For many, it seems, it is not possible to gear down to a quieter more pleasant environment. They stay stuck in that mode until they die.

In 1950 there were less than 3 million people in the entire state of Florida. Today there are about 19.5 million. Unless the native population of FL were having babies by the shipload, it is fair to say that the population of the state is comprised mostly of transplants. I find it more common to find young people here who are native with parents from elsewhere.

Considering that most states dont have 19.5 million people, together GA, SC and NC have about 25 million, the comparison of the types of people in each is not possible as the demographics and population density are much different than FL.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm kind of confused. Life in VB is great for you but the rest of South FL sucks? I'm not sure what you mean by "ha" after each sentence.
Sounds to me as though the poster is a self-insulated self-entitled yenta who looks down her nose at anyone not a resident of her little enclave. Or possibly a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida