Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 03:44 AM

292 posts, read 725,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Where in Florida?

What other states have you lived in?

Metro area or rural?

I was in Central Florida/Orlando area, which these days is basically one big unhappy subdivision.

I've lived all over the USA, from San Diego to rural New Mexico to suburban Upstate NY. I personally prefer the mountain west and west coast, and whenever I return to the USA that will be the area I will move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
I was in Central Florida/Orlando area, which these days is basically one big unhappy subdivision.

I've lived all over the USA, from San Diego to rural New Mexico to suburban Upstate NY. I personally prefer the mountain west and west coast, and whenever I return to the USA that will be the area I will move to.
I see...well never been a fan of Orlando, mostly based on driving as the roads just plain suck and are archaic compared to South Florida for the amount of people living there. Often feel like I'm driving through Houston when I visit Orlando, by look and traffic.

Well in my area it's heavily NY/NJ, along with the attitude and driving skills. Seeing your from Upstate NY, you probably somewhat understand that and have dealt with it. Miami in general is another world though.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
The only reason why I even posted on this forum was because I was stuck in Florida for four years and can speak from experience about what it's really like living there, and believe me it was not my choice. Needless to say I left as soon as I could and I can assure you there is no freaking way I'm coming back.
I'm sure Floridians everywhere are happy to hear that. Too many people here already.

You can speak of YOUR experience, however subjective, living in the state. If I were looking for information about Florida though, I'd take your words with a very large grain of salt ( and a few giggles to boot). But as we've said before, you are entitled to your opinion, and I'm glad you have moved somewhere else you don't find as highly objectionable.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 PM

30 posts, read 35,498 times
With us being Jewish we love the exclusive/wealthy enclaves of South Florida but to be honest if we could move we would move to San Francisco because we enjoy being close to the best synagogues.

Happy hunting!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
So Florida still actually represents a very special opportunity for those with vision - past, present and future -, talent and resources.
Thing is, Florida has never been a state that attracts those with vision and talent, unfortunately. Most of the [young] people who move to FL are uneducated, unskilled, and from working-class backgrounds. Often, these young people lack ambition and motivation, and anyone who has lived in FL can confirm the generally apathetic nature of young people in the state, both native and transplant. Not to mention most educated, talented, ambitious youth who grow up in FL tend to move on to major cities such as Atlanta, DC, NYC, LA, SF, et al. after college for career opportunities anyway, which only further diminishes the already small presence of career/corporate-mindedness and entrepreneurial spirit. I think there's a general lack of awareness or sensitivity in FL to the economic competitive disadvantage this poses to the state, which is Problem #1, IMO.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:37 AM

30 posts, read 35,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Thing is, Florida has never been a state that attracts those with vision and talent, unfortunately. Most of the [young] people who move to FL are uneducated, unskilled, and from working-class backgrounds. Often, these young people lack ambition and motivation, and anyone who has lived in FL can confirm the generally apathetic nature of young people in the state, both native and transplant. Not to mention most educated, talented, ambitious youth who grow up in FL tend to move on to major cities such as Atlanta, DC, NYC, LA, SF, et al. after college for career opportunities anyway, which only further diminishes the already small presence of career/corporate-mindedness and entrepreneurial spirit. I think there's a general lack of awareness or sensitivity in FL to the economic competitive disadvantage this poses to the state, which is Problem #1, IMO.

True!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Y'all can speak for yourselves regarding the lack of talent and vision on the part of Florida transplants.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Going by whats said on these forums i'd say most people move to Florida for=
1 No winter
2 the beaches
I hear very few moving to Florida for Career advancement.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Going by whats said on these forums i'd say most people move to Florida for=
1 No winter
2 the beaches
I hear very few moving to Florida for Career advancement.
Up here in northeast FL, we do get winter. We've already had one hard freeze and it's not quite December.

Of course many people do move to Florida to retire, and then die, no getting around that. I've lived on both coasts and in Colorado, where I always missed the ocean. I've visited a whole lot of states. There is not a best state. Every place special in its own way, and also is a trade-off in some way.

I do think there is some spark of creativity and vision in Florida. People do, on occasion, try to advance their careers here. We did, then the housing bubble popped.

But we've been in FL for 7 and a half years, we're very happy here--and certainly not retired.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:16 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
As a native I LOVE my Florida- I have been west to CA north to PA and overseas. All states have something- but mine is mostly green/blue and golden. Lots of sun lots of water and lots of vegetation then come every conceivable color in the trees and flowers, animals, birds and so forth. If only those who LOVED FLA would stay,,,, be a great place, we need to fix our education and money get rid of idiot politicians. Maybe only NATIVES should run for office,but as a whole we are just a baby state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida