Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times

Advertisements

Florida has some of the most notably backwards elections and politics in the nation because a significant portion of the state population does not take an interest in local politics, or vote at every opportunity. Many residents are only here part-time, and others are here specifically to relax and don't want to think about politics, which they think of as stressful. Many people only vote in Presidential Elections, but that's wrong, because your vote actually has far more influence in small elections, and the elections that affect you the most as a citizen on a daily basis are the local ones!

This thread is a chance for all of the people who have voted to check in and acknowledge that they did, and to talk about the conditions where they voted. This thread is NOT to discuss the issues or how you voted, because that is private as it should be. Let's get involved locally and make this state the best it could be!

I'll start off:
------
I voted today in Early Voting, in Monroe County (Upper Keys).

The conditions were pretty awesome, and I was very pleased compared to experiences I had in the past voting in Miami. The voting site was quiet, with no protesters or people trying to change your opinion anywhere - the way it is supposed to be. I don't like voting on paper at all, in little cubbies that have no curtain or privacy - this has a high chance for error, and for people seeing how you vote, and is super antiquated. Every other state I have voted in has had curtained booths with simple levers since I was a kid, and they have never had the scandals about voter error that Florida has had. But, since I was Early Voting, virtually no one was there, and things were fast and simple. I had to check in with my ID (very nice - Monroe County has a swipe machine for your driver's license so the identification is computerized!), fill in the circles with a pen provided, and then feed the paper into a machine that reads it - the machine is supposed to beep if there is a problem so you can fix your bubbles. Then an election worker takes the folder the ballot was in before it was put in the machine, that has a voter number paper attached, and put it on a pile to help tally how many voters have cast ballots there. The best part is, at the end, the election worker gives you a sticker that says "I Voted in Monroe County, Florida" with a colored picture of a conch shell next to it!

It was a smooth and easy process. The whole experience took me maybe 10 minutes - aided by my bringing my sample ballot already filled out with me, as I always do, to make sure I fill in the right bubbles quickly.
-------

Who else voted so far? What was it like where you live?

If you have a problem voting, or there is a violation of voters' rights where you live, call the

Election Protection Hotline at: 1-866-OUR-VOTE [1-866-687-8683]

or visit: State Voter Hotlines & Help Links - National Association of Secretaries of State

Let's Keep Florida Fair for All

PLEASE VOTE, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR POLITICAL PERSPECTIVE IS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:43 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Great Post

Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 AM

152 posts, read 221,737 times
I voted by mail

Old 10-30-2014, 07:00 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Absentee Ballot sent last week.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:19 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Florida has some of the most notably backwards elections and politics in the nation because a significant portion of the state population does not take an interest in local politics, or vote at every opportunity. Many residents are only here part-time, and others are here specifically to relax and don't want to think about politics, which they think of as stressful. Many people only vote in Presidential Elections, but that's wrong, because your vote actually has far more influence in small elections, and the elections that affect you the most as a citizen on a daily basis are the local ones!
Florida ranked solidly in the middle or better in voter turnout for 2008, 2010, and 2012 among the states so I have to question your first sentence. I agree non-presidential cycles tend to be less glamorous and receive less turnout but Florida voter participation is not nearly as weak as many of the other states.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/multimed...ndex#indicator

BTW, I voted early and it was as pleasant a voting experience as I have ever had....and most have been very easy.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Florida ranked solidly in the middle or better in voter turnout for 2008, 2010, and 2012 among the states
That is for a very specific reason. If you know the history of FL and voting, you'll already know why those years were high. The eyes are on our state now, as a swing state, and as a state with a history of fouled election process. Nonetheless, bigger turnout is a positive regardless of the reason.

Who else has voted? What was it like? A lot of people have never voted before, or perhaps have never voted in this state, so your experience can really help to dispel the mystery and make it easier for others to join our democratic process. This is all the more important for young voters, who don't tend to have very good turnout in Florida come election time - especially for the local election years! If you as a young person want your voice heard, and want to live in a state that fits you, you need to cast your ballot! Do a little online research on the topics/people you have to vote on (it doesn't have to take much time), and put your preference on the paper. And don't leave spots blank - that is such a wasted opportunity to speak up for what you want in your community, in a world in which we have so little say in anything!

Take this opportunity to choose, even if you're not thrilled with your choices. By showing strong turnout, and a strong preference here in FL on certain issues or for certain parties (or Independents), we DO influence what our choices will be for future elections. If we as a population seem apathetic - particularly among younger voters - they will continue to throw old men our way who have no relevancy for us and who do not get the issues we care about. If they see that large numbers of young voters have turned out all over the state this time, local parties will begin to change their tune to speak to what matters to the under-40 crowd, rather than always catering to the over-55 group in this state.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Went in to the library, took 15 minutes including the short wait, check in, voting and putting the ballot in the reader. Piece of cake.

Nice thing about the paper ballot is that you don't have the issues popping up with electronic voting in Illinois and Maryland (voting for one person or party, machine is marking the other candidate or party). You know exactly who or for what your ballot is being marked for, and if there is a recount, it is very clear, no reliance on an 'electronic trail'.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
I excercised my right not to vote, based on not liking any of the candidates at all and knowing the one thing of great importance to me will be voted down by a long shot, well short of the 60% needed, according to the polls. Therefore I feel completely fine passing on this election.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
I voted early, at the library. In and out in under five minutes. Very easy and simple process.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I voted early, in person. It was quick and easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida