Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Went in to the library, took 15 minutes including the short wait, check in, voting and putting the ballot in the reader. Piece of cake.
I voted last week at a library too. There were some people standing outside handing out political flyers. The whole process took about 10-15 minutes. Though after I checked in, I actually had to wait about two minutes before I was assigned to a booth. There weren't many booths at this particular place -- maybe only 8 or 10 booths in total. It was a relatively small room.

Afterwards I was given one of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
That is for a very specific reason. If you know the history of FL and voting, you'll already know why those years were high. The eyes are on our state now, as a swing state, and as a state with a history of fouled election process. Nonetheless, bigger turnout is a positive regardless of the reason.
How do you figure Florida to be a swing state in this election? We have no senate races this year.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:27 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
I voted last week at the library. It was super easy. I went on my lunch hour and was the only one there.

Last election was easy too. There was so much complaining and long lines on the news that I left work early and took something to eat, prepared to be there for hours. lol I was there a total of 15 minutes! This was at city hall in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
How do you figure Florida to be a swing state in this election? We have no senate races this year.
Well in the particular heavy republican district 2 Gwen Graham can very beat Steve Southerland a conservative republican. This district voted for Mitt Romney by 72 percent so it swung from republican to supporting a democrat for congress.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:05 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Not to nitpick but that is not what "swing state" means.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:54 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I excercised my right not to vote, based on not liking any of the candidates at all and knowing the one thing of great importance to me will be voted down by a long shot, well short of the 60% needed, according to the polls. Therefore I feel completely fine passing on this election.
That is your right. But people have fought and died all over the world - including in this country - and continue to, just for the ability to vote. I think it is extremely sad that you would take such a glorious privilege for granted. The surest way to silence your own voice in this world, is not to use it when you have the opportunity.

Also, your assumption about what I would guess is Amendment 2 is completely erroneous. The poll was poorly done, based only on people who answer calls from strange numbers (which most younger people with a cellphone do not do) and only on people "expected to vote," and even then the result was 50% YES, 42% NO, and 8% Undecided. Such a poll in no way assumes a clear win either way, but if anything favors the YESes. Your choice not to vote assures one less YES vote, therefore you are the one making it more likely it will no go through since it may be close. You cannot blame that on anyone else but yourself. There is still time to vote, and I urge you to do so, for whatever you believe in. Large numbers at the polls, and percentages voting for certain issues or parties, or from certain demographics, make a VERY big difference to parties, and it DOES influence what and who they offer you in future to vote for. Showing apathy in this state is the surest way to ensure that politicians remain apathetic too, and do whatever pleases them rather than serve the people. When the people are engaged in their government and very actively voting, the politicians jump to meet the wants of the voting public. Fewer votes ensure that they assume they can do whatever they want, because no one in Florida cares about government. Abstaining from voting is NOT a successful way of getting more say in the government, it is a guaranteed way of getting less, and sending a message to our politicians and to our nation that we don't care, and that's why we have the bums that we do to choose from. Particularly if you believe in more liberal causes, or more independent ones, your voice is needed in this state - if you do not stand up and be counted, they do not know you even exist to try to please you as a voter in future. They already know there are a lot of far-right elderly people who DO vote en masse in this state, and that's why the choices for that conservative group are plentiful. If more people voted from other perspectives, we would have numbers that convince them to try to win the vote of other populations here besides the 70 white male Tea Party crowd.

Parties plan their issues and their candidates by the numbers and demographics at the polls. If you choose not to be counted, you're choosing for your perspective not to be considered. And you will certainly get your way. Note also that polls like the one you referenced call the people "likely to vote" - if you don't vote, they will never attempt to poll someone like you, which again influences the poll results because they are just assuming you might not vote next time either. The growing number of people who vote for Independents are making politicians sit up and take notice, as one example, even though they generally lose. Independents have now had a win, so there will be more and more candidates and different perspectives offered in future. The number of people in favor of Amendment 2, even if they lose, will influence whether that initiative shows up on the ballot in the future. The same way it did for same sex marriage, the votes for allowing it made an impact, even though they initially lost around the nation. That collective minority voice was heard, and it kept coming up until the voice grew stronger and eventually it started to win everywhere.

If everybody who had the minority opinion just abstained from voting or from participating in government, we would still have slavery, women would still not be allowed to vote, we would still have segregation, and our nation would never change or grow with the times at all. Thankfully, not everyone chooses to back down when faced with difficult odds, because those who stand up for what they believe in long enough are eventually heard and DO influence change.

You have the right in this country not to vote. But if you don't vote and you don't run for office, you have no right to complain that no candidates or issues represent your perspective. If you don't participate, politics will continue to function without your voice to temper them. And that is a very bad thing.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
That is your right. But people have fought and died all over the world - including in this country - and continue to, just for the ability to vote. I think it is extremely sad that you would take such a glorious privilege for granted. The surest way to silence your own voice in this world, is not to use it when you have the opportunity.

Also, your assumption about what I would guess is Amendment 2 is completely erroneous. The poll was poorly done, based only on people who answer calls from strange numbers (which most younger people with a cellphone do not do) and only on people "expected to vote," and even then the result was 50% YES, 42% NO, and 8% Undecided. Such a poll in no way assumes a clear win either way, but if anything favors the YESes. Your choice not to vote assures one less YES vote, therefore you are the one making it more likely it will no go through since it may be close. You cannot blame that on anyone else but yourself. There is still time to vote, and I urge you to do so, for whatever you believe in. Large numbers at the polls, and percentages voting for certain issues or parties, or from certain demographics, make a VERY big difference to parties, and it DOES influence what and who they offer you in future to vote for. Showing apathy in this state is the surest way to ensure that politicians remain apathetic too, and do whatever pleases them rather than serve the people. When the people are engaged in their government and very actively voting, the politicians jump to meet the wants of the voting public. Fewer votes ensure that they assume they can do whatever they want, because no one in Florida cares about government. Abstaining from voting is NOT a successful way of getting more say in the government, it is a guaranteed way of getting less, and sending a message to our politicians and to our nation that we don't care, and that's why we have the bums that we do to choose from. Particularly if you believe in more liberal causes, or more independent ones, your voice is needed in this state - if you do not stand up and be counted, they do not know you even exist to try to please you as a voter in future. They already know there are a lot of far-right elderly people who DO vote en masse in this state, and that's why the choices for that conservative group are plentiful. If more people voted from other perspectives, we would have numbers that convince them to try to win the vote of other populations here besides the 70 white male Tea Party crowd.

Parties plan their issues and their candidates by the numbers and demographics at the polls. If you choose not to be counted, you're choosing for your perspective not to be considered. And you will certainly get your way. Note also that polls like the one you referenced call the people "likely to vote" - if you don't vote, they will never attempt to poll someone like you, which again influences the poll results because they are just assuming you might not vote next time either. The growing number of people who vote for Independents are making politicians sit up and take notice, as one example, even though they generally lose. Independents have now had a win, so there will be more and more candidates and different perspectives offered in future. The number of people in favor of Amendment 2, even if they lose, will influence whether that initiative shows up on the ballot in the future. The same way it did for same sex marriage, the votes for allowing it made an impact, even though they initially lost around the nation. That collective minority voice was heard, and it kept coming up until the voice grew stronger and eventually it started to win everywhere.

If everybody who had the minority opinion just abstained from voting or from participating in government, we would still have slavery, women would still not be allowed to vote, we would still have segregation, and our nation would never change or grow with the times at all. Thankfully, not everyone chooses to back down when faced with difficult odds, because those who stand up for what they believe in long enough are eventually heard and DO influence change.

You have the right in this country not to vote. But if you don't vote and you don't run for office, you have no right to complain that no candidates or issues represent your perspective. If you don't participate, politics will continue to function without your voice to temper them. And that is a very bad thing.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I. I have the right to vote or the right not to vote. I opted for the later, due to the pathetic candidates offered up and because the one other item of interest to me is clearly going to get shot down.

Provide candidates worth my time and then maybe I will show up. Otherwise, I find it a better option to let others decide what they want.

BTW - I do not care for the two party system, nor can I endorse either's awful platforms. So I figure leave it to those who buy into what the system is selling.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I. I have the right to vote or the right not to vote. I opted for the later, due to the pathetic candidates offered up and because the one other item of interest to me is clearly going to get shot down.

Provide candidates worth my time and then maybe I will show up. Otherwise, I find it a better option to let others decide what they want.

BTW - I do not care for the two party system, nor can I endorse either's awful platforms. So I figure leave it to those who buy into what the system is selling.

This is fine, but just know that when you vote for Independent candidates, it makes it more likely that more Independent candidates will run in the future, and get adequate funding - and in some cases actually win as a few have already around the nation. Maybe none of the Independent or smaller party candidates appealed to you either this year, but it's something to consider for the future. There were more than two choices this year for Florida governor.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Anyone else vote? How were the conditions? What was your experience?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
This is fine, but just know that when you vote for Independent candidates, it makes it more likely that more Independent candidates will run in the future, and get adequate funding - and in some cases actually win as a few have already around the nation. Maybe none of the Independent or smaller party candidates appealed to you either this year, but it's something to consider for the future. There were more than two choices this year for Florida governor.
I looked at the independent candidate's policies and they are unsustainable, so I could not vote for him either. I am tired of the entire process, as I see why people vote the way they do......so the train has already left the station. I'm just along for the ride, which is my right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida