Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Except for the obvious dig at natives. Like we are the problem. Nice try.
I agreed with all of the pros, but I think that many of the cons are not Florida-specific, and, yes, the comment about the natives is simply arrogant, among other possible descriptions.

I mean, just for example, Senator Bill Nelson, a man worthy of respect even if one does not always agree with his policy positions, is a Florida native for, how many generations, maybe something like four (you can look it up in various online biographies). And there are others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself

********* dude.

someone asked what the pros and cons are. i laid them out. it is what it is.

like i said, if you're from Haiti, or the Bronx or Camden NJ, its probably normal to you.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:34 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
I run into the rudeness a lot too, but it may be specific to my area? We're in South Daytona, which is actually OK, but Port Orange! It's little Nu Joisey all the way. New Smyrna Beach gets them a lot during certain parts of the year too. Sometimes I am convinced there is a fight fixing to break out, but it's just the visitors/snowbirds discussing things at an outside table in their normal manner. I guess it's dog eat dog up there, and that's how you become.

I think everyone has covered the cons and I agree w/ nearly all of them, and I run into them constantly, so no more to be said on those. Face it, this is not the South, for better or worse, and you are not going to get Southern hospitality or even the sorta fake California friendliness (although I got on fine in Northern Cali).

The pros, along w/ what have been mentioned, are the incredible wildlife. I've never seen so many beautiful and BIG birds in my life. We're always worried an Osprey is gonna grab our pet cat, and yes, I did see one flying to it's nest once w/ a small white cat dangling from its talons. They also like to fly around slowly and show off their fish catch. Pretty strange. OK, it's cheap in most places too. Incredibly cheap for being so close to the ocean, but as my friend in Hawaii once said, "You know, we pay a price to live here". He was talking mostly about the racism and the high cost of everything, along w/ living on a rock way out in the ocean away from everything. For the price we pay in Florida, see the cons listed on the other posts.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Many people that visited one or two areas of FL think the entire state is the same way as the area they visited. However, many areas of FL are unique and not like other areas of FL. They can be vastly different in many ways.

It's like someone visiting a populated suburb of Chicago and assuming the entire state of Illinois is just like that.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 10,813 times
As someone who's never been to Florida, research I've done seems to coincide with many of the pros and cons listed, although if I were a Florida native I might take offense too. All states (or at least most) have good and bad areas as well as their own set of problems to deal with. I'm sure Florida is no different but still has many areas that are great places to live. I'm posting because I'd like to know more about adjusting to the heat and humidity in Florida. As a native to New England who's lived in North Carolina (twice and presently), Texas, and Virginia, the heat and humidity in North Carolina has taken some getting used to (both times). In the next 3-4 years my wife and I are considering retiring to Florida. We plan on going down in February for a week to check out the Inverness area, which comes highly recommended. People who've recommended that area however are snowbirds so cannot comment much on the heat and humidity during summer. We also figure a trip to Florida during the summer to see for ourselves how hot it gets is in order. I'm just hoping some folks can chime in that have moved to Florida from northern states and give their honest opinion on how they were able to deal with the heat, or if they just stay inside all summer because they can't tolerate it.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:09 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDinNC View Post
As someone who's never been to Florida, research I've done seems to coincide with many of the pros and cons listed, although if I were a Florida native I might take offense too. All states (or at least most) have good and bad areas as well as their own set of problems to deal with. I'm sure Florida is no different but still has many areas that are great places to live. I'm posting because I'd like to know more about adjusting to the heat and humidity in Florida. As a native to New England who's lived in North Carolina (twice and presently), Texas, and Virginia, the heat and humidity in North Carolina has taken some getting used to (both times). In the next 3-4 years my wife and I are considering retiring to Florida. We plan on going down in February for a week to check out the Inverness area, which comes highly recommended. People who've recommended that area however are snowbirds so cannot comment much on the heat and humidity during summer. We also figure a trip to Florida during the summer to see for ourselves how hot it gets is in order. I'm just hoping some folks can chime in that have moved to Florida from northern states and give their honest opinion on how they were able to deal with the heat, or if they just stay inside all summer because they can't tolerate it.
Inverness is very nice and nothing like Tampa, Orlando, Anywhere in S. FL.
Inverness is a more laid back country type town.
Yes, indeed, it is hot and humid in the summer.
Isnt everywhere?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:31 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Inverness is very nice and nothing like Tampa, Orlando, Anywhere in S. FL.
Inverness is a more laid back country type town.
Yes, indeed, it is hot and humid in the summer.
Isnt everywhere?
C'mon you know better than that ... Florida is hot for most of the year and very hot and humid from May through mid-October. Been to Minnesota in the summer for their 2-3 weeks of heat and humidity ? Or to Santa Barbara ?

Old 11-01-2014, 12:54 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
i was in asheville area in june... it was like low 60s at night and highs in the mid 70s.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 10,813 times
Thanks for the responses. In Maine (2006 - 2011) we were lucky to get 8 weeks swim time in our pool, typically it was closer to 6. Summer was gone before you knew it! Here in the outskirts of Raleigh it does indeed get hot and humid (90's with humidity in the 60 and 70% range) from June through August and sometimes longer, though my wife and I have acclimated fairly well. I guess I'm trying to find out if the heat and humidity gets much worse than that in central Florida.
Inverness and some of the surrounding areas sound like a good fit for my wife and I. Laid back, nice rural areas, not too far from major cities and attractions, reasonable house prices, lower crime rate than many other places in Florida. We're looking forward to checking it out in February.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:39 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
I'm from Raleigh so I'm familiar with the weather. If you acclimated there you probably won't have any issues, but the heat and humidity does last quite a bit longer than it does in NC. The heat and humidity can last 6-7 months from my experience, though some on here will try to downplay that time frame. Winter is nice for the most part, but you will have some days were it can drop in the 30's-40's, and sometimes a little colder . The one thing I liked about Raleigh was that there are four seasons and that is not the case in Florida. I'm more of a winter person so neither place is perfect for me as far as the climate goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida