Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanish become the official language of Florida?
YES! 33 14.73%
MAYBE! 3 1.34%
no 188 83.93%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Your tone and the information you include, like mentioning that you enjoy Mexican and Cuban food (as if this is proof that you don't hate Spanish speakers) makes it quite clear of where you stand.

More deflection. (And also, completely ignoring the part that I happen to come from an immigrant family that speaks a language that is so similar to Spanish that both groups can usually understand one another....so I don't know what you think I'd be "scared" of, LOL).

Now, support your position, or continue with your ad hominem (that's LATIN) attacks: What is the utility or purpose of making Spanish an - or THE - official language of Florida?

I repeat, AGAIN: The burden of proving the utility of making Spanish an official language in a multi-cultural society (where in the future, an increasing number of immigrants will no longer come from Spanish Latin America but ASIA and even Brazil) is on those who WANT to make Spanish the official language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
More deflection. (And also, completely ignoring the part that I happen to come from an immigrant family that speaks a language that is so similar to Spanish that both groups can usually understand one another....so I don't know what you think I'd be "scared" of, LOL).

Now, support your position, or continue with your ad hominem (that's LATIN) attacks: What is the utility or purpose of making Spanish an - or THE - official language of Florida?

I repeat, AGAIN: The burden of proving the utility of making Spanish an official language in a multi-cultural society (where in the future, an increasing number of immigrants will no longer come from Spanish Latin America but ASIA and even Brazil) is on those who WANT to make Spanish the official language.
You make it very clear as to why it doesn't make sense to make Spanish the official language. it's logical, rational, non-racial. He's just trolling you. Ignore.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
well, I think the poll is pretty clear with an overwhelming majority of respondents saying "NO"
Yep its clear and one official language makes more sense in the way to cut the expenses of duplicating Gov. forms.

The other point is "Why in the world anyone not want to learn English????":confuse d:The majority of folks go through there daily lives speaking English. Our country as a whole speaks English.

Learning and practicing English, if you are not from this country is the cornerstone of being American. It wonderful that the Latinos hold their language for future Generations. Bottom line English is the Language of success and Official Business.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Just in case you missed it, the OP was just trolling and not serious (he's very angry by the way). No even halfway intelligent person would ever think Spanish could be the official language of Florida. It's understood that English is the official language of the US.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
English was the language of our founding fathers? The language of our constitution? The language of commerce, the language of our court system, the language we are taught in school? Funny it isn't like everyone who immigrated here over the past 400+ years spoke English as their first language anyway since few did outside of the UK. Many towns in the upper midwest were founded and inhabited mostly by German immigrants. Took them a few generations to eventually assimilate as well. Miami and the border towns with Mexico are quite unique in the same way and the probable exceptions in the USA today.
There was a mix of languages, one can only imagine what it was like back in the 1700's but in reality English was the dominant language then as it is now, even in my home state of Pennsylvania, German was quite popular as 1/3 of the population at the time spoke it and you still hear a form of it among the Amish and Mennonites. Never was an official language of Pennsylvania or even made into one though some state documents were in German up until the early 1950's.

About the USA > Germans in America > German Language in the U.S.

Even during WWI and WWII there was propaganda posters made like this, which mentioned German, Japanese and Italian:

My great grandparents were from Italy, they came the US and did not speak English and did not have the luxuries Spanish speaking people have today with everything being bilingual, buy something like a new cell phone there is two books and they are quite thick, one is in English, the other in Spanish. It's like the USA has become a big Enabler in not making people assimilate and this is the problem.

My great grandparents eventually learned English yet still spoke Italian among themselves but it diminished and they had a big family and my grandfather barely knew much Italian and said they just eventually quit speaking it. I even had friends that moved from Italy in the 70's with their families and saw a similar effect. I am not seeing that today among the Latinos I know and work with. They are bilingual but are not converting over as fast as people who arrived in this country before them. I think it's good though that they still carry traditions to their kids and have them be bilingual, I often wish that happened to my family but there was not much emphasis placed on that back in the day as it was a different world.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:23 PM

good Post and Great Historical Doc!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
well, I think the poll is pretty clear with an overwhelming majority of respondents saying "NO"
the poll asked if Spanish should replace English as the official language which I voted NO too. but if the poll were rephrased to ask if Spanish should become the co official language in Florida then I would vote yes.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Should Spanish become the official language of Florida?
I would think a bilingual state would be more accommodating..

Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I would think a bilingual state would be more accommodating..
It's already "accommodating": Bilingual services are offered in Spanish in state courts, hospitals, and police stations, but many Hispanics don't need them or use them. If you wish to communicate with your neighbors in Miami who are Anglos, Asians, African Americans or Haitians, they generally speak no Spanish at all. In general, Florida Hispanics speak wonderful US English (usually without an accent).

Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
actually India has more than 20 official languages and even spain has 5 languages that are official in at least one Provence. their are many more countries that have many different languages in different parts of the country. this is'nt something new it's been around for a very long time and there is nothing wrong with it.
Cost function ability of Gov. You are correct many countries have sub languages, What you are missing they have problems too unite their countries under one country.

One can not compare the United States of America to any one else. There are those who think that Europe is the trend setter.

We are the Bold Experiment that separated us from a King. That is why as a country we , The United States of America, must Proactively have one Official Language like the Founder Fathers had intended or we are no better than the countless Government's of Europe.

The Good old USA is a inperfective union. But it works for us, We the People.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida