Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanish become the official language of Florida?
YES! 33 14.80%
MAYBE! 3 1.35%
no 187 83.86%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
When a state or a country loses its common language they are doom fail. Our Founders Found English was the common thread to unite the 13 Colonies.
The Belgians do OK with both Dutch and French speaking regions and the Swiss have three official tongues; French, Italian and German.

I don't think the Founders gave much thought to language; all spoke English and all the states were English speaking anyway. And in any event they had far bigger fish to fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,140 times
I say both English and Spanish should be official at the state level. they are both important why make it only one or the other?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
When a state or a country loses its common language they are doom fail. Our Founders Found English was the common thread to unite the 13 Colonies.

This is nor the first time this subject was brought and was even on the Ballet 25 years ago. One language simplifies gov with the cost of duplicating publications for different languages.

No else does this in the world except us.
actually India has more than 20 official languages and even spain has 5 languages that are official in at least one Provence. their are many more countries that have many different languages in different parts of the country. this is'nt something new it's been around for a very long time and there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 AM

98 posts, read 291,230 times
Absolutely not. If you come to this country, legally, you should have to speak English. You should want to speak English. And, English should be the national language of the USA. The common language unifies the country. As someone else noted, not having a common language has proven to doom countries in the past.

If I were to go to another country for any length of time (other than a vacation), I would want to learn that language. It is a respect thing.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
No offical language, either English or Spanish. I do think that people should know both.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 AM

84 posts, read 225,042 times
Maybe not oficial one, but regarding the past History of Florida maybe both languages should be spoken at the same time, it can be interesting.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM

411 posts, read 831,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Klingon. Or Elven.
I would be more than willing to entertain arguments as to why these languages should be added to the official language list.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCSteel View Post
Absolutely not. If you come to this country, legally, you should have to speak English. You should want to speak English. And, English should be the national language of the USA. The common language unifies the country. As someone else noted, not having a common language has proven to doom countries in the past.

If I were to go to another country for any length of time (other than a vacation), I would want to learn that language. It is a respect thing.
Man! I couldn't have said it better!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCSteel View Post

except that florida wasn't always a english speaking area. for a long time we belonged to spain and in fact for the majority of our state's history(286 years) spanish was the language and that's where our state's name comes from( la florida). so considering our state's history I think both languages should be used at every level of state government.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
except that florida wasn't always a english speaking area. for a long time we belonged to spain and in fact for the majority of our state's history(286 years) spanish was the language and that's where our state's name comes from( la florida). so considering our state's history I think both languages should be used at every level of state government.
I am all for that, but it would be symbolic, are you talking about only hiring state employees who are bilingual, what would having spanish as an official language mean in practicality, History aside if you go to citrus county, dixie county, the panhandle how many spanish speakers you think are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida