Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,939 times

Advertisements

i found a snake in my back yard it is solid black on top and dark yellow on the bottom i think it's new to florida!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Exclamation Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

that is a really stupids idea man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
Oh I i will try moth balls. I hate snakes period.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Exclamation Stupid alert stupid alert!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaser View Post
buy some moth balls and spread them around the area where you see any snakes.. i put them all around my home and now we do not see any snakes.
as nono cat once said:NONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
You found a harmless snake.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 PM

70 posts, read 117,573 times
Default I've seen two here down in the Sarasota area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
Hi all I move to the Tampa area and I notice a big black snake in the backyard, I at least know is what they call a black racer? my mother started to freak out I stay calm since I done some reading about it, just wanted to know if anybody in here has experience this snakes in their backyards, also are they venomous? or where are the dangerous snakes in Florida?
One was long, about 3 1/2 feet moving quickly across the backyard and headed over under a bush by the house and well hidden. I grew up with some snakes, so I just let them be, but from what I've read it was a black racer and pretty harmless if left alone. However, as I understand, they can give a nasty bite if bothered and they go into an attack mode.

The other one I saw was similar, but very small and slender, about 2 feet long, maybe 5/8" diameter. ... but what bothered me was when I saw it, it coiled some and rattled its tail. I did not hear anything, but that bothered me.

From what I've read some snakes sometimes fake being a rattle snake? Whatever, I gave it lots of respect as always. I had to go to the outside to the electrical panel and when I glanced down, and there the snake was. I quickly but quietly backed up. The rattling motion was what bothered me. I grew up around rattle snakes and this one certainly did not look like the ones I was familiar with in the northeast. So, after reading I concluded it was a black racer. And I guess faking a rattling motion?

I'm now pretty careful, and when out at night walking across the lawn, etc. I take a flashlight with me just to be sure I don't cross paths with one.

I don't get very concerned about them, most are your friends, just let them go on their way. They will be happy and so will we!

Last edited by GTK473; 02-05-2014 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: update

Old 02-10-2015, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,650 times
We all of a sudden have noticed quite a few black snakes in our yard. We have a dog and of course we want to protect her, and I am scared to death of snakes no matter how much "good" they do. Please let us know how to get them out of our yard without killing them, as we do live our wildlife, but not around our dog. Please help. Thank you, mary.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Bush View Post
We all of a sudden have noticed quite a few black snakes in our yard. We have a dog and of course we want to protect her, and I am scared to death of snakes no matter how much "good" they do. Please let us know how to get them out of our yard without killing them, as we do live our wildlife, but not around our dog. Please help. Thank you, mary.
Black snakes will not harm your dog. If one did bite your dog then the dog will hopefully learn to leave the snake alone, but they are not venomous. Learn to live with them. I think it would be difficult to trap and relocate black snakes. Even if you did more will probably just move in to your yard at some point.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:35 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Black snakes will not harm your dog. If one did bite your dog then the dog will hopefully learn to leave the snake alone, but they are not venomous. Learn to live with them. I think it would be difficult to trap and relocate black snakes. Even if you did more will probably just move in to your yard at some point.
Generally the snakes are more scared of you than you are of them. They'll take off on their own, if they feel as though they're threatened. I never came across a black snake that didn't hightail it out of there when I came across him in the yard, in the driveway, or wherever else.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,650 times
Thank you so much for responding to my concern regarding the increase in black snakes in our back yard in Fl. I appreciate it very much and I do feel better knowing that not much harm will be done to my dog, except that she may learn a lesson Mary

Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
We've got them here. They are FAST. Our cats have tried to catch them and failed miserably. The "racer" name fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida