Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times

Advertisements

Black snakes are a GOOD thing. We had one that lived in our front hedge for a couple of years. It gave our friends quite a start when they walked up to the front porch and it was sunning itself. LOL But the funniest thing happened when we were selling our home. We were showing it to a lady from California. There were tall Podacarpus bushes on either side of the garage. Well, this lady stopped by one of the bushes to ask a question and looked right into the face of that snake! It's little head was sticking right out of the bush at eye level! I thought the lady was going to have a heart attack in our driveway. Needless to say, she was not interested in spending any more time at our home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 10:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
These black snakes are no problem at all. Don't kill the snakes if you find them. I have seen at least ten or so in a short amount of time. I was trimming the palm tree and one was right next to my head on the palm branch. Please don't kill Florida's wildlife. If its a Rattlesnake call someone and have it removed. Maybe throw a bucket or something on top of it until someone will take it away to some woods. I'm originally from Ohi9o and it really makes me mad that a lot of our native species were extripated or extinct by 1850. Keep it real and don't destroy Florida's creatures. Black snakes are no threat to anyone. Now Cottonmouths are dangerous and very aggressive so don't try to be brave and pick on up. You would know a Cottonmouth from a black snake easily because they're very thick and have a distinct head shape that other pit vipers have. Black snakes will eat rattle snakes and cottonmouths. Coral snakes aren't a big threat either. They're not aggressive towards people. Well if you have kids then have absolutely have them moved to some woods somewhere else. Kids might try to pick up a coral snake because they seem to docile or something like that and they're generally really small. But having black snakes around probably means there aren't other snakes around. Black snakes are serious scrappers.

you should kill poisoness snakes if they are around your house all the time and if there are kids in the area.....because they will just keep coming back....but if you just see a snake and it is not usually around your area then i would say too call someone to move them back to the wooded areas.....if you have kids you should do what you can by yourself to get them away from where your kids play even if it involves killing them because would you rather preserve the snakes in the area and let them put your kid in danger? or get rid of them anyway you can and make sure they dont keep coming back?

Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 AM

106 posts, read 568,302 times
Default Thanks to all

I appreciate your answer with this matter.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 14,562 times
Exclamation Black Racer

I have just discovered 1 maybe 2 Black snakes in my Yard. This caused me incredible alarm as I am an Aussie, (living in Florida) and Black snakes in Australia are quite dangerous. I have kids that run around in my backyard all the time and I think they are living in a dug-out hollow under the back door. Has anyone any suggestions as to what to do??

Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM

25 posts, read 93,253 times
Default black snakes

buy some moth balls and spread them around the area where you see any snakes.. i put them all around my home and now we do not see any snakes.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
You should just leave them alone. If they are black snakes they won't bother you and they will eat mice/rats and other pests.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,668 times
i have a few pet cats ....no snakes.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM

374 posts, read 1,629,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaser View Post
buy some moth balls and spread them around the area where you see any snakes.. i put them all around my home and now we do not see any snakes.
Now you will know when there in the area by the funny smell and the little round bumps in their stomach. Very well preserved snakes!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 20,871 times
What about a little black snake with aan orange ring around it's neck? Is it the same as a complete black snake?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Like previous posters have said, it could be a Racer. It could also be a Rat Snake. I doubt it's an Indigo, because they are getting pretty scarce these days.
Snakes are great to have around because they help control the bug and rodent populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida