Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 AM

30 posts, read 261,785 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate to florida from the desert (I'm sick of this dry oven heat, I like humidity!). I'm trying to do as much research as I can. I'm getting mixed reviews. I know to just come check it out for myself ( which I'm doing in Oct.) but know I wanted to get more input on one coast from the other. I was considering Port St. Lucie for it's proximity to the beach and cost of living. I know property taxes aren't the best. I was thinking about Wellington, also. Then, "best places to live " shows areas around Orlando. We want to be by the beach ( or close enough). I saw beautiful pictures of Sanibel- Fort Myers area. I've heard its more humid on the Gulf side than the East Coast. I work in a hospital and have children, so hospitals and good schools are a major factor in my choices. I'd appreciate anyone's input on th is matter. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 AM

172 posts, read 856,833 times
wow someone who actually wants humidity lol.

well youll get plenty of it here on the west coast. you can barely make it to your car in a parking lot without staining your clothes in sweat.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:16 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,009 times
I'm originally from CA where summer time it wasn't uncommon to hit temps over 100. So far, in east coast florida, I've yet to really experience 3 digit temps. The highest i've seen on my car thermometer was 97. Usually max in low 90's.

I'd pick humidity hot over desert oven hot too. However, I'm used to night time relief where you can enjoy things that don't have the AC.

In Florida, even at 3am, it's still hot to walk outside. Temp would be in the low 80's but + the humidity, it's very hot.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
I won't even try to compare Port St. Lucie and Wellington -- that's like trying to compare the Hamptons to the Bronx. There are no polo grounds in Port St. Lucie, and I don't think Prince Charles has ever visited here.

But, I will comment on East coast versus West. The difference is the Gulf Stream. It provides cooling offshore breezes in the Summer and warming offshore breezes in the Winter. The temperatures are more temperate on the East coast as a result. However, the beaches on the West coast -- especially like Clearwater Beach -- are much nicer and if you are a boater, there are more interesting bays, coves and islands on the West coast. As bad as traffic is in parts of the East coast, especially in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, I believe the traffic is worse on the West coast.

If I had to live in the western half of Florida, I would be on the eastern fringe of it -- like Dade City, San Antonio or Zephyrhills. But, I like things simple and rural -- that's why I bought my retirement property in Okeechobee. You couldn't pay me to live near the Gulf coast, and I dislike the beach. Did you know that they water tastes like salt? Phue. And, there are things alive in the water -- and some of them are bigger than me. I look very carefully into the swimming pool before I get in.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 AM

2 posts, read 72,561 times
Stuart is a nice place to raise kids, Beachs are some of the best in Florida. Hospitals are everywhere good ones too! 30 min.north of Palm Beach, We have it all. You like Boating, Some of the best sailing and fishing.
Good hunting and God Bless.
Freshwave

Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T27taylor View Post
I want to relocate to florida from the desert (I'm sick of this dry oven heat, I like humidity!). I'm trying to do as much research as I can. I'm getting mixed reviews. I know to just come check it out for myself ( which I'm doing in Oct.) but know I wanted to get more input on one coast from the other. I was considering Port St. Lucie for it's proximity to the beach and cost of living. I know property taxes aren't the best. I was thinking about Wellington, also. Then, "best places to live " shows areas around Orlando. We want to be by the beach ( or close enough). I saw beautiful pictures of Sanibel- Fort Myers area. I've heard its more humid on the Gulf side than the East Coast. I work in a hospital and have children, so hospitals and good schools are a major factor in my choices. I'd appreciate anyone's input on th is matter. Thanks in advance.

Take some post with a grain of salt, some people have never lived anywhere or been in the dry heat to compare it.

Research info as much as you can, take the good and the bad and use judgements based on your liking.
There are 15 new Floridains right here on this baord in the last 4 months, they ALL like it there and are spread out from Palm Coast to Lakeland to Ft Myers.

If you handled the dry heat in the desert, it will be a BREEZE in Fla for you.

I applaud you that you are making a move from something you do not like.....

Research is the key !!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T27taylor View Post
I saw beautiful pictures of Sanibel- Fort Myers area. I've heard its more humid on the Gulf side than the East Coast. I work in a hospital and have children, so hospitals and good schools are a major factor in my choices. I'd appreciate anyone's input on th is matter. Thanks in advance.
Sanibel is NOT Flort Myers. It is a solely a vacation destination & you need to take a bridge to get there if you want to stop by on the weekends. The people who do live on Sanibel are filthy rich.

Again, Sanibel is not Fort Myers. It is a nice place to go to every once in awhile.

If you have kids, I HIGHLY reccomend ruling out SW FL. It is not the place to raise a family. Schools in Lee County are awful & based on school choice.

Actually, the environment of SW FL is not welcoming unless one is 65+ & wants to ride around in a golf cart all day. Very little in terms of a family environment. There are some VERY serious issues plauging this part of FL that mainly have to do with the housing bust, employment, schools, & illegal immigrants. Crime is nothing out of the ordinary. Cost of living here is not ridiculous either. It's all the other crap that will get to you & your kids will be miserable living here b/c this is a retirement city, not a young city. The young people who are moving here are single & without children, working at a chain restaurant & Target to pay rent.

There are better places in Florida.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Vero Beach is beautiful. It's on the east coast, about 90 minutes north of Palm Beach and about 90 minutes east of Orlando. I've never seen it get above 93 degrees though the humidity is high. People from the more crowded south Florida are relocating here for some elbow room.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:22 AM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
Humidity = every day is a bad hair day.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Sanibel is NOT Flort Myers. It is a solely a vacation destination & you need to take a bridge to get there if you want to stop by on the weekends. The people who do live on Sanibel are filthy rich.

Again, Sanibel is not Fort Myers. It is a nice place to go to every once in awhile.

If you have kids, I HIGHLY reccomend ruling out SW FL. It is not the place to raise a family. Schools in Lee County are awful & based on school choice.

Actually, the environment of SW FL is not welcoming unless one is 65+ & wants to ride around in a golf cart all day. Very little in terms of a family environment. There are some VERY serious issues plauging this part of FL that mainly have to do with the housing bust, employment, schools, & illegal immigrants. Crime is nothing out of the ordinary. Cost of living here is not ridiculous either. It's all the other crap that will get to you & your kids will be miserable living here b/c this is a retirement city, not a young city. The young people who are moving here are single & without children, working at a chain restaurant & Target to pay rent.

There are better places in Florida.
100% agree with this post! You should avoid SW Florida. If you want the Gulf side, stay further north, as in the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area. It is a larger area, but much more family friendly, more affordability, etc. And St. Pete has some of the nicest beaches anywhere, along with one of the nicest parks, Ft. DeSoto. If you like the beach, I personally think the Gulf side is more beautiful, interesting and scenic. As to humidity, well I see no real difference on either side, this is Florida, it's humid all over.

It is important not to just see "pretty pix" of an area and assume your life will be paradise. I also agree that you REALLY, REALLY, need to research and visit ANY area that you are considering living in, and talk to a few locals to get a feel for it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida