Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootseye View Post
the best part of living in florida is the day you are fortunate enofugh to move out !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootseye View Post
I would think real hard about moving here It is no paradise
What does that have to do with the difference between the east and west coasts of Florida? We have enough of this negative crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 55,622 times
I have traveled all over FL., have built several homes and own building lots in Sebring, Sugar Mill Woods, & Citrus Hills. The best place I have found is a little known comm. in N. St. Lucie County called Panther Woods. Rural setting, gated, country club with great golf & tennis. Mix of condos, villas, and single fam. homes. Home prices mostly from 350 to 600. lot sizes 120 X 125 & some still available around 100 K. It is 10 mi. from beach (20 minutes) away from coast ins. less. East coast better. Stay away from Ft. Myers & the SW. Best west coast is Citrus County.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudydddd View Post
I have traveled all over FL., have built several homes and own building lots in Sebring, Sugar Mill Woods, & Citrus Hills. The best place I have found is a little known comm. in N. St. Lucie County called Panther Woods. Rural setting, gated, country club with great golf & tennis. Mix of condos, villas, and single fam. homes. Home prices mostly from 350 to 600. lot sizes 120 X 125 & some still available around 100 K. It is 10 mi. from beach (20 minutes) away from coast ins. less. East coast better. Stay away from Ft. Myers & the SW. Best west coast is Citrus County.
That is exactly the problem. Houses should not be priced from $350,000-600,000 in St. Lucie County. And lots should not be $100,000.

My best friend's mother has lived there for 35 years and been involved in real estate that entire time.

Those prices are double to triple what they should be. The amount of for sale and for rent inventory there is obscene. That area is in for a huge crash over the next 5 years.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:56 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
That is exactly the problem. Houses should not be priced from $350,000-600,000 in St. Lucie County. And lots should not be $100,000.
Do you have any clue where or what Panther Woods is? From your comments, I doubt you have ever heard of it, let alone know anything about it.

What makes you think that all the homes, lots and developments in St. Lucie County are the same or should have the same values?

These crappy blanket statements from people who don't even live here and don't know what they're talking about drive me nuts.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,970 times
I happen to live in SW FL (Cape Coral) and love it here. I am in the 4th safest large city. People here try to make it sound like you will get shot going to your mailbox and that isn't the case. We have A or A+ schools. Parents are involved with their childrens education and that helps to keep the scores up, others like to whine about how terrible SW FL is. The median age is in the 30's if I remember and their isn't that many retires here in Cape Coral, mostly young families.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:20 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
I have never lived on the east coast, been on the gulf coast for 18 years and I love the gulf !! We get great breezes off the gulf, bad thing is red tide lingers longer in the gulf. Great fishing gulfside and less waves at the beach. Statistically we have fewer hurricanes come through the gulf also. Bah who know what is better , plant a tap root and call it home

Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
From Cape Coral's own city website:
"Youthful, Educated Labor force: About 50 percent of the population is age 45 or younger, and the median age is 45. The fastest growing population segment in Cape Coral is among the 45-54 age group."

That really don't sound like young families starting out...

How is that 3yr old who was found at 4am wallking on Pine Island Rd all by herself doing?

For a state that ranks 48th in education, the A, B, C rankings mean very little.

No, not 100% of Cape Coral is the pits & there obviously are people who live there & are content. But, it is hard not to see the facts about Cape Coral right now & those have been listed on this site way more than a few times by more than a few different people.

There are younger, more family oriented, just plain better places in FL than 99% of SW FL

Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 PM

99 posts, read 408,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

For a state that ranks 48th in education, the A, B, C rankings mean very little...
It was my understanding that the ratings are based on nationally applicable standards, not a relational grading. An A+ school in SW Fl should in theory be equivalent to an A+ school in Tennessee, California, NJ, etc., no?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzgon View Post
It was my understanding that the ratings are based on nationally applicable standards, not a relational grading. An A+ school in SW Fl should in theory be equivalent to an A+ school in Tennessee, California, NJ, etc., no?
I have always known ratings to be based on public school mandated test scores. I've taught in Ohio & Texas & those states base their rankings on the required state test scores. All the state tests have the same idea in mind when mandating the tests are not the same nor a federally mandated test. No Child Left Behind grants & $$ have requirements but no general test for every state. I've never heard of all 50 states using the same rating system nor do I believe is there even one in place. It is known that some states have very difficult tests, in particular for 3rd & 9th graders & that is where the whole "teaching to the test" debate comes in.

For overall state rankings, I believe reading, math, & writing test scores are looked at & ranked.

48th is 48th That is just not a good thing. There is an elementary school in Port Charlotte, FL that has test scores in the 70s but is given an A rating. I don't find reading rates in the mid-70s by 4th graders to be "A" quality.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 19,005 times
Default East Vs. West

Prior to moving to florida my sife and I were focusing and visiting the Weswt coast. We thought that the east coast was "too busy" and crowded. Until a friend introduced us to the Traesure Coast (St. Lucie, Martin Co.)

We found that many parts of Florida are great (east or west). The
Atlantic Ocean we believe is nicer than the Gulf of Mexico waters. The beaches are more accessable. the Treasure coast was called a well kept secret and the still seems to be the case. It is quit and friendly.

Depending of your priorities (work, schools, beaches, fishing, etc.) the best thing you could do is move into a rental and spend a lot of time shoppping. It is an excellant time to approach relocation this way. You could find just what suites you and a bargain at the same time.

Deleted

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-05-2007 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: advertising and/or soliciting is not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida