Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,777,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
She won't make any money out of this. EquuSearch who spent 10 of thousands of dollars I believe is already preparing a law suit against her. In the trial if we are to believe what the lawyer said came from her she new the baby was dead from day one and the months of searching was all a lie. Add to that all the various money spent, the public donations and 4000 volunteers; maybe even the city and state can go after her for what she cost taxpayers. Truth is, who would even pay her for her story? She has no story unless she is going to tell the truth and I would not count on that. She will be dogged the rest of her life, leaving the country may not be good enough. Regardless her rights and not being able to prove she was involved she has become the most hated person in the country. Her parents are not immune of this either. Not much about them that came out was very complementary. I doubt they have many friends left in the world either and watch as they begin to turn on each other as well. Life has a way of evening things out.
I should add, in a civil case like OJ she will have to testify.
I hope somebody brings a Civil case against her ; its just a shame that anyone at all would profit from the tragedy of Caylee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,349,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I hope somebody brings a Civil case against her ; its just a shame that anyone at all would profit from the tragedy of Caylee.
The reality is everyone involved in the case will profit from this tragedy. As clearly pointed out already, news outlets like HLN and In Session were saved from the ratings dead by this whole fiasco. Now everyone from the Lawyers, family, jurors, witnesses, court deputies, janitors, etc...will be able to sell their experience. It's a sad sad reality but it is the reality of our new media driven society. What does it say about a case when a cute little girl like Caylee is missing, her mother is young attractive woman, and the family, notwithstanding their alleged dysfunctional, looks like they could be any of our neighbors. Why all of the sudden does this become a national tragedy?

How many people recall little Hailey Cummins who disappeared around the same time as Caylee? To this date her body has not been found and this little girl has been given no justice either. Unfortunatly for her she didn't have those big adorable eyes of Caylee, her parents weren't as attractive, and the family just wasn't as marketable as the Anthonys. The media couldn't spin the story so what happens, Caylee becomes a national martyr and Hailey just a memory. Trenton Duckett seems like a warm up for Nancy Grace to get to this her crowing achievement.."tot mom."

So please spare me the tears over sensationalism and people profiting from tragedy. We all buy the products and boost the rating of the media that makes this all possible.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post

How many people recall little Hailey Cummins who disappeared around the same time as Caylee? To this date her body has not been found and this little girl has been given no justice either. Unfortunatly for her she didn't have those big adorable eyes of Caylee, her parents weren't as attractive, and the family just wasn't as marketable as the Anthonys.
Haleigh Cummings was an incredibly beautiful child.

Nothing is marketed.

What gets play and is paid attention to depends on what is going on at the time, slow news day or not, if they have a smoking gun, whether the local media does something with it and in turn the national folks pick up on it, etc. Unfortunately, children are abused, tortured, neglected and killed constantly in this country. There usually has to be a perfect storm in order for there to be this much attention.

Amber Alert Issued For Putnam County 5-Year-Old | TBO.com (http://beta2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2009/feb/10/missing-child-alert-issued-putnam-county-3-year-ol-ar-123639/ - broken link)

By the way, I watched none of the trial, heard the verdict read on the radio and watched a tape of the verdict this afternoon.

Over the years, I read a couple of news articles.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,754,981 times
Quote:
The reality is everyone involved in the case will profit from this tragedy. As clearly pointed out already, news outlets like HLN and In Session were saved from the ratings dead by this whole fiasco. Now everyone from the Lawyers, family, jurors, witnesses, court deputies, janitors, etc...will be able to sell their experience. It's a sad sad reality but it is the reality of our new media driven society. What does it say about a case when a cute little girl like Caylee is missing, her mother is young attractive woman, and the family, notwithstanding their alleged dysfunctional, looks like they could be any of our neighbors. Why all of the sudden does this become a national tragedy?

How many people recall little Hailey Cummins who disappeared around the same time as Caylee? To this date her body has not been found and this little girl has been given no justice either. Unfortunatly for her she didn't have those big adorable eyes of Caylee, her parents weren't as attractive, and the family just wasn't as marketable as the Anthonys. The media couldn't spin the story so what happens, Caylee becomes a national martyr and Hailey just a memory. Trenton Duckett seems like a warm up for Nancy Grace to get to this her crowing achievement.."tot mom."

So please spare me the tears over sensationalism and people profiting from tragedy. We all buy the products and boost the rating of the media that makes this all possible.
Tragedy is big business, it always has been since people would pay 10 cents to see a dead out law on display 125 years ago. This is not new.
HLN Draws Record-Breaking Audience During Casey Anthony Trial

Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,777,779 times
Quote:

Theres a big difference between The Media Sources who bring us vital information on a high profile case so we can all better understand the facts, and, specific people who contributed to the injustice of this case and is allowing a Mother to walk free who definitely knows what happened to her 2 year old daughter. The only satisfaction I get from all of this, is knowing she WILL one day have to give account to the Creator / her Creator .. a time when ALL injustice is fairly settled.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM

374 posts, read 946,739 times
I also believe that some families (but not this Casey/Caylee Anthony situation) work to keep the media focused on their tragedy so that it will not be forgotten, investigation put "on the back burner" and such. I think the Natalee Holloway incident was an example of that and other missing children cases that have been in the news, both for children found and un-found. If the public forgets, a child/kidnapper/killer may be overlooked. I certainly don't fault those families for wanting to maintain public attention.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,349,754 times
I don't fault the families for wanting to keep the media attention on their cases to get as many resources dedicated to their cause. My issue is why wasn't anyone out protesting outside of the Lake County Courthouse when parents were arrested for drug possession? Why isn't anyone demanding justice for Hailey? Or Trenton Duckett or any of the other thousands of missing todlers? As one commentator so accuratly put it, "it's all about putting soap on our shelves" meaning we all buy the soap that buys the HLN advertising spots. So soon enough young Caylee will be a memory and Nancy Grace will find her new "tot mom" and the soap will continue flying off the shelves.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
I turned on that HLN that you are all talking about to get the sentencing info. Wow, that anchor was an unprofessional mess. I turned it off after a few minutes. There is no way I can tolerate that.

I can remember when they just broadcast the news, a quick way to get the headlines as the name implies.

Court TV is no more?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM

398 posts, read 730,238 times
Default Enough of Casey Anthony

This case is done, by the end of the month a murderer will be walking the streets of Orlando, I personally have had it and cant stand seeing her face on TV anymore. I am moving on and I hope the rest of the Country does the same, lets not give her the importance she does not deserve. I dont wish her anything, ultimately she is NOTHING.
My prayers and my thoughts will stay with Caylee!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
How about the other 337 that were killed in 2008? What do you know about them? Reality is the people following this are the ones who follow the local news and Nancy Grace types.
It's just another sad case where a child died that is getting attention because the media picked it out the the mom is young and attractive.
I agree with both of you. As Seain said, nobody should take the murder of a child lightly. However, I've said many times that it's only because the family is White, middle class and Casey is very pretty, that people are glued to their TV sets.

OTOH, I began listening to the case a little more closely when the trial began, and I'm usually not the reality show type viewer. Maybe it's media saturation or maybe it's because the trial was so bizarre. Where I'm now staying, I don't have the wide range of cable stations I'm accustomed to, but I do get CNN, HLN and Fox, and it's almost impossible to avoid hearing about this case. I think the Weather Channel and Animal Planet are the only 2 stations I can turn on without hearing someone talking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida