Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:01 PM

754 posts, read 1,925,317 times

Advertisements

I am glad to see people on here who actually realize that the Prosecutors overstated their case and gave the jurors little alternative but to acquit. I am so sick of hearing the "shocked" and outraged" pundits. Please..... This should never have been a death penalty case as they never could prove, time, place, motive or means of death. They would have had a better outcome had they said, "Look, we don't know how she did or if she did it on purpose but, in all likelyhood she is responsible and then tied in the circustance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,975,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Must be something in the jurers drinking water as a similar case just ended here in Montreal,Father seems to have got away with murdering his 2 kids ..

Guy Turcotte found not criminally responsible in deaths of his two children (http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Turcotte+found+criminally+responsible+deaths+child ren/5051662/story.html - broken link)
Or maybe we've bent over backwards so much to be fair or politically correct that we've fallen on our asses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I am glad to see people on here who actually realize that the Prosecutors overstated their case and gave the jurors little alternative but to acquit. I am so sick of hearing the "shocked" and outraged" pundits. Please..... This should never have been a death penalty case as they never could prove, time, place, motive or means of death. They would have had a better outcome had they said, "Look, we don't know how she did or if she did it on purpose but, in all likelyhood she is responsible and then tied in the circustance.
I agree that it shouldn't have been a Death Penalty case. I'd have a difficult time as a juror without a confession or a solid piece of evidence. Guess I haven't been watching this trial closely enough. I still think she is guilty, but I didn't realize it was only a choice of capital murder or acquittal.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,758,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Or maybe we've bent over backwards so much to be fair or politically correct that we've fallen on our asses.

I agree that it shouldn't have been a Death Penalty case. I'd have a difficult time as a juror without a confession or a solid piece of evidence. Guess I haven't been watching this trial closely enough. I still think she is guilty, but I didn't realize it was only a choice of capital murder or acquittal.
It wasn't. The night before the jury got the case they added a lesser degree charge that would have carried a max of 5 years. In fact if this charge was there before there would have never been no trial, they would have pleaded it out without a doubt. No lawyer in his right mind would have taken this to trial with such a high risk when they could plead to such a lesser charge. The fact that this lesser charge was added at the last minute shows the prosecution was worried.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,384,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
If you can take anything away from this it is, you are innocent till proven guilty and it is the best system there is. Even John Gotti had his rights in court and that is a good thing.

The thing is, she is the same person she was before so expect to hear from her again. She is a sociopath
and a psychotic and for what it is worth probably dangerous. She has serious mental illness and I am sure has had for years.
Exactly. She had a right to a trial by a jury of her own peers. The prosecution did not prove her guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Our judicial system is what we have and I'm glad we have it, even though we know that a woman that does not report her daughter missing for a month and is a pathological liar - even the jury agreed to that - probably killed her child. There is far too much circumstantial evidence. But the jury did its job and followed the letter of the law.

If we didn't have this system in place it would be the wild west.

But you are correct. She will hang herself. Look at OJ. He thought he got away with murder and decided that he was Superman. That didn't work out too well.

Quote:
Here is my wife's opinion and she said this more then a year ago. My wife comes from a family of attorneys and has a knowledge of the law. The case began getting screwed up from the very beginning by the police. They arrested her and charged her with murder before there even was a body of anything but the thinnest evidence. She was no threat to anyone and should have been left free.

The police screwed up ever arresting her in the first place with nothing to go on but a hunch.
This is a fact and the reason she could now write a book, "How I killed my daughter and got away with it".
They tried to build a case around her. That usually doesn't work and that was indeed their fatal flaw. She's immature and continuously lied. She would have hung herself very quickly.

Quote:
It wasn't. The night before the jury got the case they added a lesser degree charge that would have carried a max of 5 years. In fact if this charge was there before there would have never been no trial, they would have pleaded it out without a doubt. No lawyer in his right mind would have taken this to trial with such a high risk when they could plead to such a lesser charge. The fact that this lesser charge was added at the last minute shows the prosecution was worried.
Bingo.

They knew they lost.

And you are correct. The defense would have pressed Casey Anthony to take a plea, thinking she didn't have a chance.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,975,905 times
Quote:
Thanks - I am listening to the verdict being read now. I can't believe she was not convicted of aggravated child abuse. If you left your baby alone in a house and went shopping, it's a crime (isn't it?) She didn't report Caylee missing for over a month! I'm not sure how much of the testimony I missed, but Casey was the last person to see her daughter, so who killed her? Who buried her in a trash bag? She is being rewarded for letting all that time pass so there would be no evidence. There are many people on death row who have been convicted on a lot less evidence and some of them are innocent.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 PM

150 posts, read 475,788 times
I wanna know when the movie will come out (it wouldn't surprise me if someone actually made one, given the fact that this case evolved into such a spectacle). There are people who do far worse things to children every day, so I don't see what the big fuss over this case was. I doubt people line up for tickets when those people are tried.

Thank goodness it's over.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,690,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
I wanna know when the movie will come out (it wouldn't surprise me if someone actually made one, given the fact that this case evolved into such a spectacle). There are people who do far worse things to children every day, so I don't see what the big fuss over this case was. I doubt people line up for tickets when those people are tried.

Thank goodness it's over.
Ummm....what could be far worse to do to a child than murder it????

Do you think before you type?

And it isn't over, Casey Anthony better hire security. A lot of people are angry about this and this being FL which is loaded with gun carrying whack jobs I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't try to harm her or worse.

The parents are already receiving death threats and the Orange County Sherriff's dept are outside their house....at least for now.

The whole thing makes FL look like a joke, once again.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM

150 posts, read 475,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Do you think before you type?
I do. Do you? Sounds to me like you didn't take the time to consider my point of view before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin
And it isn't over, Casey Anthony better hire security. A lot of people are angry about this and this being FL which is loaded with gun carrying whack jobs I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't try to harm her or worse.

The parents are already receiving death threats and the Orange County Sherriff's dept are outside their house....at least for now.

The whole thing makes FL look like a joke, once again.

I'm not saying that what she did was right. It takes a sick mind to do something like that. However, my point was that people do crap to kids every day, and not all of those cases get so much hype, even if they're just as twisted, or worse (and yes, there are people who do worse things than just "killing." Do your homework). My heart goes out to Caylee, and I do think she should have never died, but why should this case be so hyped up if such things happen in every state every day?

I'm done. If you want to troll, do it with someone else.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,690,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
I do. Do you? Sounds to me like you didn't take the time to consider my point of view before posting.

I'm not saying that what she did was right. It takes a sick mind to do something like that. However, my point was that people do crap to kids every day, and not all of those cases get so much hype, even if they're just as twisted, or worse (and yes, there are people who do worse things than just "killing." Do your homework). My heart goes out to Caylee, and I do think she should have never died, but why should this case be so hyped up if such things happen in every state every day?

I'm done. If you want to troll, do it with someone else.
Just your use of the word "crap" shows your level of education.

A little girl is murdered and you dismiss it.

It was "hyped" because the mother was a sociopath who lied. It caught the nation's attention because people couldn't grasp how a child is missing for 31 days and no one reports it.

Or that a "mother" is going out dancing and getting tattoos while other people are looking for her missing child.

This case was so bizarre it got world wide attention.

Even Susan Smith cried for the cameras knowing she drowned her own kids.

We have had missing kids in the country before, the difference is they're all reported within 24 hours, even when it turns out a family member was involved.

No one is "trolling", you made an insensitive comment in regards to the death of a child.

It was an ignorant thing to say.

I really can't think of anything worse than the murder of an innocent child.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,385,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
And she promises to look for the real killer. Good grief.
Just like OJ said thats what he was going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida