Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I think the fact that she waited 31 days to report her missing child, while she was photographed partying, probably played to the media and public interest...Unfortunately the media focuses on what the public wants and, even more unfortunate, the public wants dirt. When we stop wanting dirt, they'll stop serving it. Actually, easily solved...
Interesting concept though the mainstream media has no idea as to "what we want". News viewership isn't rated so they have no idea of how many are tuned in for what.

News organizations by and large have dumbed down their coverage the past several years due to internet news preference for many. Lowest common denominator interest in shows like Extra/TMZ, as well as programming that influences certain thought (Nancy Grace, Glenn Beck, etc) insures there'll be no foreseeable end to "dirt-serving" as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM

374 posts, read 946,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting concept though the mainstream media has no idea as to "what we want". News viewership isn't rated so they have no idea of how many are tuned in for what.

News organizations by and large have dumbed down their coverage the past several years due to internet news preference for many. Lowest common denominator interest in shows like Extra/TMZ, as well as programming that influences certain thought (Nancy Grace, Glenn Beck, etc) insures there'll be no foreseeable end to "dirt-serving" as a result.
If people don't watch, it will stop - it really is just that easy.

Sort of like the same reason we don't see sheep brains on many restaurant menus. Not enough demand. But...if it shows up somewhere and people start wanting and ordering it, you can bet it'll start being a regular item on menus everywhere...

Personally, I don't watch Nancy Grace OR Glenn Beck. Obviously, many do - because they're still there...

Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,754,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
While shes going to be able to rake in some cash with different venues, she will ALWAYS be branded in society and her life will always be endangered from vengeful people. She will be in a different kind of prison once shes out --- and will need to hire bodyguards for the rest of her life no doubt.

The Prosecution Team convinced me of her guilt from the evidence , and no one dies by 'accident' with duct tape applied to the nose and mouth and dumped in a swamp using a plastic bag . The outcome of this Trial is as sick (if not more) than OJ Simpsons brutal slaughter. Sometimes justice is not had in this life, but justice shall be had one day by the Creator....the ultimate Judge .
She won't make any money out of this. EquuSearch who spent 10 of thousands of dollars I believe is already preparing a law suit against her. In the trial if we are to believe what the lawyer said came from her she new the baby was dead from day one and the months of searching was all a lie. Add to that all the various money spent, the public donations and 4000 volunteers; maybe even the city and state can go after her for what she cost taxpayers. Truth is, who would even pay her for her story? She has no story unless she is going to tell the truth and I would not count on that. She will be dogged the rest of her life, leaving the country may not be good enough. Regardless her rights and not being able to prove she was involved she has become the most hated person in the country. Her parents are not immune of this either. Not much about them that came out was very complementary. I doubt they have many friends left in the world either and watch as they begin to turn on each other as well. Life has a way of evening things out.
I should add, in a civil case like OJ she will have to testify.

Last edited by mango23; 07-06-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,188 times
Quote:
I think the fact that she waited 31 days to report her missing child, while she was photographed partying, probably played to the media and public interest...

Unfortunately the media focuses on what the public wants and, even more unfortunate, the public wants dirt. When we stop wanting dirt, they'll stop serving it. Actually, easily solved...
Sure a bit but at best it's really a dateline story. Many of those murder mystery cases have very wild things happen as well.

The media knows how to manipulate a story to grab the person that normally doesn't tune in and of course their typical viewer. It's why if you watch the local news most of it is about crimes.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,754,695 times
Quote:
If people don't watch, it will stop - it really is just that easy.

Sort of like the same reason we don't see sheep brains on many restaurant menus. Not enough demand. But...if it shows up somewhere and people start wanting and ordering it, you can bet it'll start being a regular item on menus everywhere...

Personally, I don't watch Nancy Grace OR Glenn Beck. Obviously, many do - because they're still there...
Well HLN went from 31st to 5th in ratings in two months. Although still the lowest rated news channel they didn't used to beat Animal Planet reruns before the Casey trial. It is a business and they are capable to hyping it so that the you will watch. You watched, if you are honest about it and you have opinions on it, we all do. I used to enjoy the old Court TV now I think called In session. It is the best reality show out there and I don't feel guilty for watching. With the kind of interactive media we have now look for this to be only the beginning.

I even watch baseball and they read emails and Twitters from viewers as they discuss the game as it is being played. People always desire to have what is called "Shared experience". What you see when they crowed the streets after a sports event. Most don't really care and could not name the players on the team but they want to be part of something anuway, it is human nature. Now with Facebook Twitter, email and so on we can be part of almost anything now if we desire and it has only just begun.

This is the honest to God truth. Some years ago I was watching Court TV and something came up I knew something about. I called the office of the lawyer who was representing the person. In like 10 minutes I got a call and I gave them the information I knew about the building involved. The very next day I saw a reference to what I had told them in the trial. It involved the fact that a portion of the building had been rebuilt I knew because I worked on it. The age of the building was inportant but now based on my tip they did some research and found it had been changed. Sitting home watching TV I was able to enter the trial I was watching. The story I just told you will become the norm, one Twitter tip could send an investigation in a whole other direction. We can all be part of it now, this is a whole new age. You know not that long ago a cop had to stop at the corner and use a pay phone. We are through the looking glass, we have no idea where this world may be going now. Don't expect us to go back, or want to.

Last edited by mango23; 07-06-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Well HLN went from 31st to 5th in ratings in two months. Although still the lowest rated news channel they didn't used to beat Animal Planet reruns before the Casey trial. It is a business and they are capable to hyping it so that the you will watch. You watched, if you are honest about it and you have opinions on it, we all do. I used to enjoy the old Court TV now I think called In session. It is the best reality show out there and I don't feel guilty for watching. With the kind of interactive media we have now look for this to be only the beginning.

I even watch baseball and they read emails and Twitters from viewers as they discuss the game as it is being played. People always desire to have what is called "Shared experience". What you see when they crowed the streets after a sports event. Most don't really care and could not name the players on the team but they want to be part of something anuway, it is human nature. Now with Facebook Twitter, email and so on we can be part of almost anything now if we desire and it has only just begun.

This is the honest to God truth. Some years ago I was watching Court TV and something came up I knew something about. I called the office of the lawyer who was representing the person. In like 10 minutes I got a call and I gave them the information I knew about the building involved. The very next day I saw a reference to what I had told them in the trial. It involved the fact that a portion of the building had been rebuilt I knew because I worked on it. The age of the building was inportant but now based on my tip they did some research and found it had been changed. Sitting home watching TV I was able to enter the trial I was watching. The story I just told you will become the norm, one Twitter tip could send an investigation in a whole other direction. We can all be part of it now, this is a whole new age. You know not that long ago a cop had to stop at the corner and use a pay phone. We are through the looking glass, we have no idea where this world may be going now. Don't expect us to go back, or want to.
I actually did watch a lot of the trial during the last three weeks. I wan't one who was glued to the coverage all along, but wanted to have an opinion based on what was presented and not just emotion.

And initially I watched some of the "reality" tv programs when they first appeard on the scene. I watched until, IMO, they became such a farce it was ridiculous. No more for me now - at least not until a "new" one starts with a different angle

Your story about calling in is great Interactive court is an interesting concept, with lots of pros and cons considerations.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
She won't make any money out of this. EquuSearch who spent 10 of thousands of dollars I believe is already preparing a law suit against her. In the trial if we are to believe what the lawyer said came from her she new the baby was dead from day one and the months of searching was all a lie. Add to that all the various money spent, the public donations and 4000 volunteers; maybe even the city and state can go after her for what she cost taxpayers. Truth is, who would even pay her for her story? She has no story unless she is going to tell the truth and I would not count on that. She will be dogged the rest of her life, leaving the country may not be good enough. Regardless her rights and not being able to prove she was involved she has become the most hated person in the country. Her parents are not immune of this either. Not much about them that came out was very complementary. I doubt they have many friends left in the world either and watch as they begin to turn on each other as well. Life has a way of evening things out.
I should add, in a civil case like OJ she will have to testify.

Excellent point! Hit her where it matters to that sociopath - in the pocket book. After the civil suit, she won't have a dime to spend on another tattoo. That will crush her.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
Excellent point! Hit her where it matters to that sociopath - in the pocket book. After the civil suit, she won't have a dime to spend on another tattoo. That will crush her.
I think most of us have a strong moral responsibility that is offended when what we see as immoral or evil being rewarded - which it appears to happen all too often. I am still shaking my head because just last week I said if EVER there was a case for telling the truth, this is it. Wrong... well, not really, but it sure seems that way and we surely can't use this a teaching example for our children to tell the truth - or else...

She very well may appear to come out "smelling like a rose" but somewhere, sometime, the pendulum will sway the other way.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,411,749 times
DEXTER! D--E--X--T--E--R! You out there, man? There's some fresh fish on the line!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,105 times
Quote:
I think most of us have a strong moral responsibility that is offended when what we see as immoral or evil being rewarded - which it appears to happen all too often. I am still shaking my head because just last week I said if EVER there was a case for telling the truth, this is it. Wrong... well, not really, but it sure seems that way and we surely can't use this a teaching example for our children to tell the truth - or else...

She very well may appear to come out "smelling like a rose" but somewhere, sometime, the pendulum will sway the other way.
Great point, TN Gal -- what is this showing our children? For once, I hope they're too wrapped up in their XBoxes and Ipods to notice this travesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida