Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,903,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I just don't get the New Yorker hate. Yes they can be somewhat loud and obnoxious, but so many of the ones I've known have been very generous souls who insist on giving you the shirt off their backs because kindness and manners insist that that's what friends do for each other.
I think the hatred for all Northerners (including the upper midwest.) isn't so much where they're from but what they bring to the table. Florida wasn't ALWAYS a major tourism hub and at one time actually had industry and jobs other then Drive through window attendant at Burger King.

The thing is, At one time Florida was affordable. Florida had low taxes and no income tax. Northerners moved down with buckets and buckets of money and basically priced most natives out. If not for the mass migration by northerners, There would have never been as much developement as there has been in the 1990's alone and that brings on the complaint of dissapearing land.

I wasn't lucky enough to live an adult lifestyle in Florida. When I graduated from high school my grades and SAT scores weren't good enough for a state college in Florida and the only jobs I could find paid $5.15 an hour so I had no choice but to leave. I ended up in Tennessee not only with acceptance to multiple state universities but also with scholarships and a $12/hr job.

Don't feel bad though, When I left Tennessee and moved back to the Tampa Bay area I was called a Yankee and told to go home, even though Tennessee was an orig. CSA state. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 AM

85 posts, read 191,685 times
That's funny. When someone from the south moves north (for a job), the people call them Hicks,rednecks, hillbilly and make fun of your accent. They make fun of your food and think we all run around barefoot. I just try to blend in and not change their world.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 AM

41 posts, read 206,007 times
Really.... you didnt move there to learn how to snowmobile?? As I have said before I grew up in lauderdale and themn moved back home to chicago for work. Been here a long time ans still go back all the time for vacations. Still have a lot of friends there and there is nowhere else I would rather be.... if the pay was better.

Its that way everywhere. I just relocated a couple years back and am still trying to explain to everyone here what they do wrong here and how certain foods should be served.

Some people never learn. And its not a yankee / southerner thing. Its just anywhee you go. In NY they serve a beef sandwich dry. WTF. In central Il they serve a bbq chicken pizza. Again... WTF thats an open faced sandwih, not a pie. And in certain states english is an option, once again WTF,

But if everyone went back to where they came from then the Florida forum would just be the Seminole forum...no???

Old 06-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereshedge View Post
But if everyone went back to where they came from then the Florida forum would just be the Seminole forum...no???
No.. I was born in Orlando and I'm fairly sure I'm not a Seminole..

Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM

41 posts, read 206,007 times
Aside from the fact that you dont live there anymore.

Whats the cut off? If your family was there pre Y2K, or is it pre Bush era? or is it pre disco? or is it pre disney, pre castro, pre what??.

Whats the cutoff. Everyone came from somewhere esle. So if every family that came down from north of the mason dixon line after 1852, then what?

The problem is a good portion of florida made it on tourism and now people have decided to stay.Now what ? Just sayin.....

Last edited by Cereshedge; 06-29-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,326,725 times
I'm from the northeast; a New Englander with a bit of a New York accent, probably because my dad was born in The Bronx. I don't walk around feeling superior - I'm not. I respect the southern regions I've lived in.

Back in the 80s a lot of people from Boston moved into my small-town area of Massachusetts. Some were jerks, others were an asset to the community. I learned from that and have emulated the positive actions for the past 15 years.

Most people treat me accordingly.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereshedge View Post
Aside from the fact that you dont live there anymore.

Whats the cut off? If your family was there pre Y2K, or is it pre Bush era? or is it pre disco? or is it pre disney, pre castro, pre what??.

Whats the cutoff. Everyone came from somewhere esle. So if every family that came down from north of the mason dixon line after 1852, then what?

The problem is a good portion of florida made it on tourism and now people have decided to stay.Now what ? Just sayin.....
My family moved to Florida in 1978. My father was in the Army and was stationed in Homestead. After he got out, He ended up in Orlando which is where I was born.

I left the state initially in 1999 but moved back shortly after to finish high school with my friends, I left for good in 2001.

There's a difference with people that moved in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and even the 80's and the people that moved here in the 90's and the 2000's, The prior generations of people to relocate to Florida did so for "the good life" they didn't come with aspirations to get rich quick like most people in the 90's and 2000's. I don't live there anymore and haven't in a decade but it still pisses me off about the people that moved to Florida to buy dumpy houses, and flip them. Not to mention the demand in the late 90's and 2000's for people from not only up north but also overseas to buy these winter snowbird condos. When the economy tanked you now see nothing but empty place after empty place..

Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,782,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
My family moved to Florida in 1978. My father was in the Army and was stationed in Homestead. After he got out, He ended up in Orlando which is where I was born.

I left the state initially in 1999 but moved back shortly after to finish high school with my friends, I left for good in 2001.

There's a difference with people that moved in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and even the 80's and the people that moved here in the 90's and the 2000's, The prior generations of people to relocate to Florida did so for "the good life" they didn't come with aspirations to get rich quick like most people in the 90's and 2000's. I don't live there anymore and haven't in a decade but it still pisses me off about the people that moved to Florida to buy dumpy houses, and flip them. Not to mention the demand in the late 90's and 2000's for people from not only up north but also overseas to buy these winter snowbird condos. When the economy tanked you now see nothing but empty place after empty place..
Greed my friend, they all got greedy. Now they are bottom feeding. Buying low, waiting to resell high...

Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM

374 posts, read 946,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm from the northeast; a New Englander with a bit of a New York accent, probably because my dad was born in The Bronx. I don't walk around feeling superior - I'm not. I respect the southern regions I've lived in.

Back in the 80s a lot of people from Boston moved into my small-town area of Massachusetts. Some were jerks, others were an asset to the community. I learned from that and have emulated the positive actions for the past 15 years.

Most people treat me accordingly.
All that...and you stopped trying to order a "buhgah" at McDonald's...

Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,782,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
All that...and you stopped trying to order a "buhgah" at McDonald's...
MA is a funny state, everyone past Worcester has the accent, we from Western MA out in the sticks have NO accent at all... When i came to FL, people said I had an accent, I think not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida