Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM

41 posts, read 205,841 times

Advertisements

As a true yankee, my favorite sign that I saw in a bar was "We don't gve a damn how you do it up north"

I used to live in SoFLa and would like to come back but the wages are too low for my profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 PM

374 posts, read 945,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaroid View Post
There are no original people in Florida. They moved there or their relatives moved there from the north.

<deep sigh> Again, another totally off-the-wall generalization that's not true. I'd really like to believe (at least some of) the comments were meant to be tongue in cheek, making a feeble attempt at humor, and not just making totally ignorant statements.

I am a native Floridian, living in TN. My ex hub was a FL native, as were both his mother and father. His grandparents moved there in the very early 1900s. Those are all deceased, but his brothers are still there.

I have many under 60 and 60+ year-old friends living IN Florida who are 2nd and 3rd generation native Floridians, and a few who moved there with their parents in the 1950s or 60s. True, FL natives are not in abundance, but they ARE there. We are not mythical, phantom creatures who some falsely claim don't exist and others falsely claim to be.

Last edited by TN Gal now; 06-28-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 04:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I just don't get the New Yorker hate. Yes they can be somewhat loud and obnoxious, but so many of the ones I've known have been very generous souls who insist on giving you the shirt off their backs because kindness and manners insist that that's what friends do for each other.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Not all of them. I am an ex NYC resident and I came down 23 years ago. I adapted to the situation instead of asking for the situation to adapt to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It's not so much 'yankee' but ex New York City rersidents. They bring their beliefs, lack of following rules, lack of morals and disgusting habits with them and try to force their garbage on the rest of us. .

Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I am curious to know what you base your assumption on.

Quote:
Thats because every one is a Yankee in Fla. They think that if their parents moved there in the 70s they are now old south plantation owners. LOL Sun baked fools.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
There are no original people in Florida. They moved there or their relatives moved there from the north. Its like when I lived up north and we felt like the flat landers came up every week end and tried to make us Detroit. We all came from down south or as in the case of Florida they all came from up north except the Puerto Ricans who came from south. The anger you hear is the white people who are mad that a black guy got in the white house and or that the Hispanics are going to over take the majority spot the whites have held for many years. What you are hearing is the kicking death pangs of the white hate groups. They just express it in civil war terms in the south, its the same but expressed different in the west. You get the Alamo in Texas and still fighting Santa Anna. LOL Idiots who cant stand change.
Yeah......tell that to my husband, whose ancestors came down here right after the Civil War to cattle ranch in Central Florida.
Your post simply reeks of the same ignorance you are accusing others of.
BTW, sometimes he calls me a damn Yankee, just for fun, I'm a Midwesterner.
He has said that native Floridians view anyone from north of the state line as a Yankee.....I think he was serious.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Because Yankees won't go home. It's like when you invite someone over a for party. If they're still there 30 years later you're probably not going to be that happy about it.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Because Yankees won't go home. It's like when you invite someone over a for party. If they're still there 30 years later you're probably not going to be that happy about it.
Some do

Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM

374 posts, read 945,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I believe some refer to those as Damn Yankees

Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
You give respect, you get respect it's as simple as that. As a FL native myself it's been my experience most Northerners are tolerable and likable. Occasionally you'll run into the holier-than-thou idiots who are still rubbing the Civil War loss in our face, your Southern therefore your toothless and inbreed with your family, we're uneducated, redneck and if it wasn't for our us Northerners coming here, you'd be a 3rd world country.

It's the above mentioned behavior that infuriates the local natives and then the Yankee Go home card comes out or the fists start flying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida