Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM

126 posts, read 711,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Oh let's see here... the beautiful season of spring, first with showy yellow daffys and forsythia, followed by the wondrous purple lilacs and rhodies, iris and hostas, soft green grass that you can walk barefoot on instead of the razor blade crabgrass that grows sideways. Real neighborhoods, not gated enclaves that are usually flanked with shantys on the other wide of the wall, fresh lobster rolls, cod, and giant scallops from Georges Bank, wearing jeans and a hoodie instead of the pinky-greeny Lily Pulitzer look, restaurants that cater to people's needs, as in grassfed beef and free range chickens, craft beer on draft, not wondering who's packing a concealed weapon, real newspapers that report real news instead of the local Florida papers that are obsessed with city workers' salaries, and no native Floridians who spout jesus at you while they're cutting your hair... Just off the top of my head.

While spring does sound nice, I prefer gardenias, jasmines, hibiscus, orchids, crinums, banana trees, coconut palms etc. Many of the plants you mentioned have a short blooming season, meaning less time to enjoy them. I love the tropical plants re-blooming plants I can enjoy almost all year. Florida has awesome seafood and awesome beer, on draft I might add! And I guess there are no criminals in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Trenton ETC. Thanks for making me realize that! Anywhere in the south people are apt to spout off about Jesus. Some of the most religious people I've met are from the NE. It's not just native Floridians.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,310,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
While spring does sound nice, I prefer gardenias, jasmines, hibiscus, orchids, crinums, banana trees, coconut palms etc. Many of the plants you mentioned have a short blooming season, meaning less time to enjoy them.
The only flower that I pay much attention to anyway is the orange blossom.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,659,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
i think it's several factors that florida has that people generally don't want to deal with that are pretty rational if you think about it. Awful humidity,
Quote:
only awful to people that don't like the weather here
, rude people
Quote:
never had any more of a problem with rude people here than i did in any other state
, high cost of living
Quote:
my cost of living now is lower than my cost of living was in NY 20 years ago
, child molesters/pedophiles on every block, crime
Quote:
another completely fallacious statement, florida is in the top 3 if not the best at tracking sex offenders and the sex crime rate here is lower than at least 25 other states
, hurricanes
Quote:
a have been here over 20 years, never had damage from a hurricane and that does not even begin to take into account the damage of other natural disasters that affect other states
, & too many senior citizens. If i wasn't from florida, florida would never attract me as a state to settle down in. Especially if i had a family. But because i was born and raised there, i know that even those factors alone, aren't representative of what florida is. At all. Florida is a great state with alot of great people (despite the rudeness) and has loads of fun things to do. I happen to like hurricanes and senior citizens. And i love beaches. They are highly therapeutic to me and i love being near them. It takes away the stresses of life. And that alone is enough to keep me around. And florida has the best beaches in the country. Not only that but florida has the some of the best food in the country. You got high populations of caribbean, european, & latin-american people that bring their food with them and you got some of the best food in the world. Factor that in with the asian and middle-eastern people that we also have (but in smaller numbers) and you've got a diverse state with countless food choices. And let's not mention our various theme parks to enjoy! What more do you need? Personally, i wouldn't raise my child there but it's a great place to vacation and retire!

filla

Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,659,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Yeah, well... maybe you should be a PI since you're so intuitive about reading between the lines. The point is you can get anything you want, 'uppity' or not, in the Northeast. In Florida it's Budweiser and glazed fish, humidity, and Publixes on every corner. I almost cried when I got back to MA and walked into a real produce department.
I bet they grew all that produce in MA didn't they?
And there is no way we would have fresh seafood in a state surrounded by water down here, now would we?
Florida also has 39 Craft Breweries to Massachusetts 38.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM

5,030 posts, read 7,235,540 times
Florida, or anywhere, isn't for everyone and having personal preferences doesn't make make one right or wrong.
For those who love the weather in Florida (I don't), who thinks the political landscape is just hunky dory (I don't), for those who think Florida is moving in the right direction (I don't), who feel this is the place they want to go old in (I don't), God Bless and enjoy yourself. I hope the sun and sand and palm trees that brought you here becomes a paradise for you and you take the time to discover some of the lesser know treasures that Florida has.

God willing, I'll be returning to an area of grey skies, cool mist and mountains but I'll always have a little sand in my shoes.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,156,119 times
How long did it take you to realize the weather, politics, sun, sand and pam treats weren't for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Florida, or anywhere, isn't for everyone and having personal preferences doesn't make make one right or wrong.
For those who love the weather in Florida (I don't), who thinks the political landscape is just hunky dory (I don't), for those who think Florida is moving in the right direction (I don't), who feel this is the place they want to go old in (I don't), God Bless and enjoy yourself. I hope the sun and sand and palm trees that brought you here becomes a paradise for you and you take the time to discover some of the lesser know treasures that Florida has.

God willing, I'll be returning to an area of grey skies, cool mist and mountains but I'll always have a little sand in my shoes.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,661,911 times
I think people come to Florida on vacation and think hmmm...what a great place to live!! Then they move here and real life starts, with all it's stress! Then those same people start wishing for their old life and forget what they hated in their old state!!My point is if your life sucked in your old state it's probably going to suck here too!!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,373,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think people come to Florida on vacation and think hmmm...what a great place to live!! Then they move here and real life starts, with all it's stress! Then those same people start wishing for their old life and forget what they hated in their old state!!My point is if your life sucked in your old state it's probably going to suck here too!!
Good analogy but it doesn't work for everyone who posts negatively about Florida. We lived in four states (work and then retirement) and they all had their good points and not so good points. Florida, however, insulted our senses on every level. This post asks, "What does Florida lack that makes everyone want to go home?" If you don't want to hear the answers then don't ask the question.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
The only flower that I pay much attention to anyway is the orange blossom.
And why is that?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I agree. Many people just do not have realistic expectations. They set themselves up for disappointment without even knowing it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida