Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times

Advertisements

Florida doesn't lack anything. Some people relocate to FL and do not realize a whole lot of things.

1. Its hot in the summer.
2. Their families aren't here.
3. Salaries are generally lower than where they came from.
4. They get homesick.
5. Just like everywhere, you have to work to make a living.
6. Expectations is another major problem. They expect that their lives will suddenly turn around and everything will be great in their lives because they moved to Florida.

There are other reasons, mostly personal in nature.

Expectations is another major problem. They expect that their lives will suddenly turn around and everything will be great in their lives because they moved to Florida.

Once they experience 1-5 and their expectations aren't met, they complain and become very vicious.

I often imagine what these complainers were saying about the place they were leaving before they left. Surely things weren't up to their expectations where ever they were, so they relocated looking for something different. When they realize that the relocation did not solve their problems, well, they blame the entire state of Florida for their difficulties.

I've heard every conceivable complaint on this board. Mainly it's too hot, too humid, they miss snow, they miss cold temperatures, drivers are bad, child molesters live here, crime, high cost of living, high car insurance, high home owners insurance, high rents, nothing to do, the local people are toothless morons, salaries are too low, it rains too much in the summer, it doesn't snow, people come to FL to get away from criminal prosecution,

You name it, someone will complain about some or all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
So many people on this forum say "I can't wait to go back to NY/NJ/PA/MI/NH/OH to enjoy all the great things they have to offer". What exactly do these places or any others offer that Florida does not? It confuses me. Many people act like these places are safer or cleaner or less of a hell than Florida, some are, but most cities in the NE are hellholes compared to Florida's cities. A girl I knew once told me that NJ's cities are "less ghetto" than Florida's. I almost died laughing! Makes me wonder what rose colored glasses these people are looking through. Your opinions please!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
So many people on this forum say "I can't wait to go back to NY/NJ/PA/MI/NH/OH to enjoy all the great things they have to offer".
I wish they would go back as I seriously get in a hissy fit over going to Rays games where almost half the stadium is filled with Yankees/Red Sox fans who live here and don't support the Rays, only showing up to root against them. We all know how that would go over in NYC/Boston if reversed however.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
Oh let's see here... the beautiful season of spring, first with showy yellow daffys and forsythia, followed by the wondrous purple lilacs and rhodies, iris and hostas, soft green grass that you can walk barefoot on instead of the razor blade crabgrass that grows sideways. Real neighborhoods, not gated enclaves that are usually flanked with shantys on the other wide of the wall, fresh lobster rolls, cod, and giant scallops from Georges Bank, wearing jeans and a hoodie instead of the pinky-greeny Lily Pulitzer look, restaurants that cater to people's needs, as in grassfed beef and free range chickens, craft beer on draft, not wondering who's packing a concealed weapon, real newspapers that report real news instead of the local Florida papers that are obsessed with city workers' salaries, and no native Floridians who spout jesus at you while they're cutting your hair... Just off the top of my head.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
Hills?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,779,238 times
The summer here.... That's the main reason i am leaving, I am done with it.... For the people who told me 18 years ago I would "get used to it", I say, bullcrap!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,779,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wish they would go back as I seriously get in a hissy fit over going to Rays games where almost half the stadium is filled with Yankees/Red Sox fans who live here and don't support the Rays, only showing up to root against them. We all know how that would go over in NYC/Boston if reversed however.
Sorry, but that is everywhere.... Yankees fans SPIT on Red Sox fans. And I am saying literally. My brother and I went to a game in New Yawk, and some idiot spit on my brother, yeah we won that night. GO RED SOX!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
While I don't think Florida is the greatest place on Earth... this post has an uppity "Northeastern" vibe that is probably going to annoy a lot of people. Just a hunch.

The lamenting about lack of seafood and organic yuppie foods is a dead giveaway.

Floridians, please don't lump all "Northerners" into the same category. Those of us from the Midwest don't want to be associated with stuff like this. We might miss home, but we aren't going to be snobby about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Oh let's see here... the beautiful season of spring, first with showy yellow daffys and forsythia, followed by the wondrous purple lilacs and rhodies, iris and hostas, soft green grass that you can walk barefoot on instead of the razor blade crabgrass that grows sideways. Real neighborhoods, not gated enclaves that are usually flanked with shantys on the other wide of the wall, fresh lobster rolls, cod, and giant scallops from Georges Bank, wearing jeans and a hoodie instead of the pinky-greeny Lily Pulitzer look, restaurants that cater to people's needs, as in grassfed beef and free range chickens, craft beer on draft, not wondering who's packing a concealed weapon, real newspapers that report real news instead of the local Florida papers that are obsessed with city workers' salaries, and no native Floridians who spout jesus at you while they're cutting your hair... Just off the top of my head.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
While I don't think Florida is the greatest place on Earth... this post has an uppity "Northeastern" vibe that is probably going to annoy a lot of people. Just a hunch.

The lamenting about lack of seafood and organic yuppie foods is a dead giveaway.
Yeah, well... maybe you should be a PI since you're so intuitive about reading between the lines. The point is you can get anything you want, 'uppity' or not, in the Northeast. In Florida it's Budweiser and glazed fish, humidity, and Publixes on every corner. I almost cried when I got back to MA and walked into a real produce department.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,389,651 times
nothing yet. although i do miss changes in elevation sometimes. lol..

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thats called team loyalty.If you were a Red Sox/Yankee fan your whole life why would you even think of switching just because you move to Florida.They should be grateful for those fans. They'd have trouble filling that stadium without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida