Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Why wouldn't you change teams? Rosters on teams change so much now-a-days that you typically have an entire new roster (excluding a few players) every 5 years or so... including the manager. Sticking with a team you loved 5 years after you moved basically means you just like their uniform.
Yeah, and the 1927 Yankees had a different roster than the 2011 Yankees ... so what ? It's called loyalty, something most bandwagon Rays fans don't understand.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 AM

109 posts, read 469,889 times
As someone who just moved to Orlando just about a year ago I feel I am experiencing the desire to go back home. I must admit that I moved here with exaggerated expectations, primarily based on my limited vacations to Orlando I had in recent years.

Florida absolutely offers things that I love, enjoyable and mild winters in which I can still go out and about without a heavy jacket, and without having to worry about ice-related driving issues. On top of that I find the availability of Caribbean/Central-South American cuisine to be awesome. Additionally, for the people complaining about fresh fish, they have that in abundance down here, and craft beer on draft? I can name dozens of places that offer it (at least in the Orlando area).

Noting the things that Florida has, it still lacks things that I miss from home (DC Metro), generally the political climate is more to my liking (left), the food scene is a bit more international, and I prefer to live in a more urban environment.

People can find things to love about any locale, nothing is perfect, but being able to find things you love where ever you live is vital to being happy.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,129,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Yeah, and the 1927 Yankees had a different roster than the 2011 Yankees ... so what ? It's called loyalty, something most bandwagon Rays fans don't understand.

Love how Yankee fans always have to mention the 1927 Yankees. Gimme a break. Loyalty.... to a corporation that couldn't care less about you.

If you enjoy watching baseball and want to be able to watch baseball in your town you should go to the local games and support your team. Without people attending their games, buying their merchandise you'll soon find you can no longer watch a MLB game live locally.

Anyhow... sorry for getting off topic.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
and no native Floridians who spout jesus at you while they're cutting your hair... Just off the top of my head.
OMG! I have an appointment this afternoon for a haircut! Seriously, you're right. However, they usually aren't holding sharp instruments.

Edit: I had to come back and edit because I notice you wrote "native Floridians" and I have to disagree. Most of the people I meet who are "in your face" with their religion or spout political opinions in the supermarket moved here from somewhere else.

Sometimes the bigotry and high level of ignorance bothers me, but I think you can find it just about anywhere you travel. I smile and move on. After all, you can always make your own friends by joining groups with like interests. I don't care if a person is a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Jew, Christian, Muslim or Atheist. It's just that I've met more people who can name the 7 Dwarfs than the 7 continents or know the name of their Congressmen. Maybe one reason is that Bashful, Happy, Dopey, Sneezy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Doc were White, heterosexual men who worked in a mine without a union.

But it's nice and sunny today!

Last edited by justNancy; 06-16-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 PM

252 posts, read 555,853 times
All that I can say is thank god and good riddance. Many yankees come down here for our way of life and end up turning it into theirs. Sorry South Florida. I hope they never discover the forgotten coast.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:40 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,779,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thats called team loyalty.If you were a Red Sox/Yankee fan your whole life why would you even think of switching just because you move to Florida.They should be grateful for those fans. They'd have trouble filling that stadium without them.
Well said Ken E...

I don't think I moved here to become a Marlins/Rays/Magic/Heat/Dolphins/Bucs/Jags fan... Especially the Dolphins!!! I will say however I loved it when the Marlins won the world series years back in 2003, of course they beat the Wankees... As a lifer Red Sox fan that was great!!!! I respect the Rays though... good team. Not however gonna cover my car in Rays stickers.....

Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,779,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
All that I can say is thank god and good riddance. Many yankees come down here for our way of life and end up turning it into theirs. Sorry South Florida. I hope they never discover the forgotten coast.
Yeehawww Bubba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:57 PM

173 posts, read 258,264 times
I was born in MI, Grew up in FL and most recently spent 2 years in PA--now back in Florida after a job change. Florida's not perfect but it does have a lot of things I like:

Mild Sunny Winters (I hate the gray), Summer Thunderstorms, being able to play disc golf every day of the year, Little congestion, Lower cost of living (I pay 1/2 as much in rent for much the same space as I did in PA), roads that don't look like they were assembled piece-meal, no local or state income tax, etc.

Sure, there was a lot of things I liked about PA but I can't say winter was one of them.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
I am a born/bred Yankee. I knew I'd be putting that all behind me when we came here 23 years ago. Never regretted it. I go to Brooksville to get the real Southern experience which I love. When in Rome....

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post

Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM

817 posts, read 2,252,507 times
I have to take issue with whoever the ingrate was who said the Florida teams have trouble filling their stadiums without the transplant fans.

Give me a break. It's BECAUSE of you transplants that we have trouble. If the transplants would adopt the Rays as their team...you know, the team of the city in which you live?...we'd sell out every damn game.

So go ahead and feel pride in the team of the city that you lived in 20 years ago, and we can just kiss the Rays good-bye. I assume it would make you happy to put a blight on the city in which you reside, because every time you attend a Rays game once a year wearing Red Sox or Yankees gear, or whatever else....you're doing exactly that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida