Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 76,076 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	222205_10150189410166634_662121633_7113646_3399039_n.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	80290

Are you sure it's not that one in the middle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 PM

41 posts, read 206,031 times
The blond?? or The dollar bill?? Also when I say my last wife I should say previous. Who knows I may make the fatal mistake another time.

Thanks for the picture that place was fun.. Sure looks like a fire trap though,

Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,137,397 times
Opinions?

I'm Medically retired from the Military, Was TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) down to Key West some years ago and have always threatned to go back...

I'll be Starting Grad School in January, and as it's all online I was musing over what to do. (I could start working, push on through, live anywhere I wanted to etc.)

And I made the comment that I could 'kick back on a beach somewhere and do schoolwork' to a buddy of mine.

Well, I thought "Why not!"

From what I remember of on base housing it was VERY NICE (By Marine Standards anyway)

I havn't taken advantage of it since I got off active duty, but as I recall it's usually $7- $20 a night, and Although there is a limit... I would have no issues sleeping in a campground for the 3 nights or so that are required 'When the allotted time runs out'.
(I'll have to check on this)

Driving down there with a Kayak on top the truck, and my motorcycles behind sounds pretty nice.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast, Havn't dove in years (SCUBA) but I'd like to get back into it. (I'll have to get some Custom Fins due to my feet, but they exist)

I can think of worse things than living there for a few months until I decide what else I feel like doing.

Don't think money will be an issue, I've got a little over $2K a month coming in, and quite a bit put back. (Considering my modest needs)
-No debt.

Don't know quite what I'm asking, just looking for advice in a general way I guess...

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM

388 posts, read 1,127,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Opinions?

I'm Medically retired from the Military, Was TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) down to Key West some years ago and have always threatned to go back...

I'll be Starting Grad School in January, and as it's all online I was musing over what to do. (I could start working, push on through, live anywhere I wanted to etc.)

And I made the comment that I could 'kick back on a beach somewhere and do schoolwork' to a buddy of mine.

Well, I thought "Why not!"

From what I remember of on base housing it was VERY NICE (By Marine Standards anyway)

I havn't taken advantage of it since I got off active duty, but as I recall it's usually $7- $20 a night, and Although there is a limit... I would have no issues sleeping in a campground for the 3 nights or so that are required 'When the allotted time runs out'.
(I'll have to check on this)

Driving down there with a Kayak on top the truck, and my motorcycles behind sounds pretty nice.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast, Havn't dove in years (SCUBA) but I'd like to get back into it. (I'll have to get some Custom Fins due to my feet, but they exist)

I can think of worse things than living there for a few months until I decide what else I feel like doing.

Don't think money will be an issue, I've got a little over $2K a month coming in, and quite a bit put back. (Considering my modest needs)
-No debt.

Don't know quite what I'm asking, just looking for advice in a general way I guess...

Go. Go now. Never leave!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM

55 posts, read 152,576 times
I think he is right. Go now!!

If I... well lets not get started on If's but my life has gotten to where I would love to move there. But the kids, the parents the job....

So if you can, run, don't walk to the nearest uhaul dealer and move there and enjoy life!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 90,987 times
Talking I got the job! Help with Housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I'm not terribly familiar with the apartments there. The area you're talking about is what is called New Town and as you've probably seen, rents are cheaper there.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with living in New Town. The trailer park there is large, but again, I'm not familiar with the clientele. Trailer parks can be hit or miss in the Keys. Some are okay, others aren't as good.

Bigger planes are flying into Key West these days. Air Tran brings in 737's as do some others. Noise can be a problem all over the island in terms of aircraft (there's only so far you can get away from them, after all!) The noise is not a terrible inconvenience, though... EYW is no Newark or Atlanta.

Hi It might be tough being all the way in WY to land a job in the Keys. Knowing somebody obviously would help.

Other jobs would depend on your skill, experience, etc. What kind of pay did you have in mind?
I landed a teaching job in Key West! I must move out there the first week of August and am looking at temporary places to live (temporary because I'd like to buy). Does anybody know anything about life on Big Coppitt Key? Know anything about the Seaside Resort Community there? They have a few decently priced rentals, but I cannot find ANY photos or information about them on the web. Please help! Also, if you know of anywhere else that will be available in August (my limit is currently about $1,500 in rent and have pets), please let me know. Thanks! I'm VERY excited to move out there and join this FUN community!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,326,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen82070 View Post
I landed a teaching job in Key West! I must move out there the first week of August and am looking at temporary places to live (temporary because I'd like to buy). Does anybody know anything about life on Big Coppitt Key? Know anything about the Seaside Resort Community there? They have a few decently priced rentals, but I cannot find ANY photos or information about them on the web. Please help! Also, if you know of anywhere else that will be available in August (my limit is currently about $1,500 in rent and have pets), please let me know. Thanks! I'm VERY excited to move out there and join this FUN community!
Big Coppitt is a suburb about 10 miles to the northeast of Key West, ironically "Big" Coppitt is small (I remember as a kid I used to call Big Coppitt, Small Coppitt or Little Coppitt.). There's a couple of playgrounds, a cemetary, and a tiny store on the west side of Big Coppitt. The west side of BC is almost all trailors, some located on canals. The east side of BC is mostly single family homes, many of them on stilts (particularly the newer houses).

I lived on Big Coppitt as a small child for a year in 1997 and 1998 but spent a lot of time there on the weekends at my grandparents house throughout my childhood. I had good memories spending time there. I was always outside playing with the other neighborhood kids, going fishing or swimming.

But I never heard of Seaside Resort, but according to Google Maps Seaside Resort is a trailer park just on the water. seaside resort community on big coppitt key - Google Maps

Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Default Thanks 90sman!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Big Coppitt is a suburb about 10 miles to the northeast of Key West, ironically "Big" Coppitt is small (I remember as a kid I used to call Big Coppitt, Small Coppitt or Little Coppitt.). There's a couple of playgrounds, a cemetary, and a tiny store on the west side of Big Coppitt. The west side of BC is almost all trailors, some located on canals. The east side of BC is mostly single family homes, many of them on stilts (particularly the newer houses).

I lived on Big Coppitt as a small child for a year in 1997 and 1998 but spent a lot of time there on the weekends at my grandparents house throughout my childhood. I had good memories spending time there. I was always outside playing with the other neighborhood kids, going fishing or swimming.

But I never heard of Seaside Resort, but according to Google Maps Seaside Resort is a trailer park just on the water. seaside resort community on big coppitt key - Google Maps
That was SO helpful!! I never would have found their site without your link. Thanks a ton!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM

253 posts, read 202,220 times
I'm going to Key West in November for 4 nights. I'd like to know if there's a bar/restaurant that must be visited. I'm thinking cheaper eats, local fare, laid back. Ideas?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
I'm going to Key West in November for 4 nights. I'd like to know if there's a bar/restaurant that must be visited. I'm thinking cheaper eats, local fare, laid back. Ideas?
You MUST go to Schooner Wharf Bar! It's as local feeling as it gets. On the water with great music, good food, and drinks. It's an outdoor eatery/bar. Check out their website Schooner Wharf Bar - Key West, Florida. "A Last Little Piece of Old Key West" - Live Entertainment!

Another one of my personal favorites is Blue Heaven. This is where Hemingway spent some time. It's also an outdoor restaurant with the local wild chickens and roosters running around. Their breakfast is the best, but if you plan to go for breakfast, I'd try to make a reservation. Check them out at key west restaurants - Blue Heaven Restaurant (home)

You also HAVE to try Better Than Sex--it's a dessert restaurant near Duval, and they really hold true to the namesake.

El Siboney and Salsa Loca are also pretty good places to eat at a decent price, and they still have the Key West Charm

For cheaper food, go north on Truman. The further north you get, the cheaper it is. However, I've never eaten at any of the places. Trip Advisor has a wealth of information on Key West sites, activities, and restaurants.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida