Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM

13 posts, read 217,044 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for something that's at least 700 square feet. The number of bedrooms and bathrooms doesn't matter, so long as it's not a studio that crams everything into one big room. The most I can pay for rent is $1,500 a month.

On a side note, how much is a atypical electric bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 AM

9,337 posts, read 16,724,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Expatriate View Post
A kayak sounds like a good purchase. Drive to a nearby key, paddle out to a little island, then get in the water and tow the kayak behind me.

Anyway, is there much Latin influence on the Keys? I haven't seen much from the guidebooks and videos and forums I've looked at. Maybe a place to go salsa dancing? Or a good Cuban or Mexican or Panamanian restaurant? At the very least, can I not get snickers and stares when my wife and I are speaking Spanish?
There are quite a few small keys around the 7 mile bridge that many Kayakers paddle out and camp overnight. There are several state parks including John Pennekamp which offers really nice snorkeling.

Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys

There is a latin/cuban section/area in Key West, although the street(s) names escape me. You might look into a rental in that area. People were very nice last time we were in that area.

It seems the Key West retail clerks are either Russian or Ukranian. Not sure why, but someone mentioned they come to US and their visa expires and they stay on. Not sure if that it true, but the past two years (we go for two months of the year) there are quite a few especially in the area down by Mallory Square.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,355,393 times
I sent you a DM, Exp, so nobody thought I was advertising listings.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 PM

54 posts, read 330,451 times
Used to go to Key West every year, great place! Always stayed in Old Town. Upside is you'll find a ton of bars and restaurants in Old Town. If you enjoy live music most of the bars will have live music. Sunsets are celebrated every night at Mallory Square. The Key West aquarium is also there as well as Ripleys and a couple of other attractions (gotta go to the buoy) Hemingways house... Down side, not cheap and has become really commercial lately with all the cruise ships coming in. Also there is NO beach! if you want to go to the beach you have to go further north but you miss out on the whole Key West vibe.
We stayed at the Ocean Key house whenever we went, its a great hotel but expensive. You may want to look into a rental or B & B. Also you have to go to Blue Heaven for dinner, man what i wouldn't do for their pork loin with mashed sweet potatoes! Out of this world! really great laid back atmosphere shorts and flip flops are dressing up! Have a great time!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,970,504 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmp8Yuhv5A

Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM

388 posts, read 1,130,513 times
Quote:
Meson de Pepe looks like a cool place. If we can dance salsa, I'm happy.
They have great food there and you can cut a rug while the band plays. We always eat there a couple of times while we are in town.

There are also several small grocery stores that sell good Cuban sandwiches.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM

388 posts, read 1,130,513 times
Quote:
--How pedestrian friendly is the island? Could I walk or ride a bike from the airport to Duval Street without getting run over? I'd like to not have to drive every day.
You can walk or bike all over the Island.
The first time I went to Key West I had a one week car rental and never got in the car from the time I arrived at my hotel until the time I left a week later.

Walking and biking is easy because the ground is flat.

Quote:
--How easy is to get to other keys/mainland? Are there fun things to do on nearby keys? Is it feasible to spend a weekend in Miami, or is it just too far away?
US 1 is the only road in & out of the Keys. If there is a wreck it can come to an hours long stand still.
That being said, I enjoy the drive and always fly into Miami or Lauderdale and drive a car down to Key West.
I figure Miami for a 3.5-4 hour drive from Key West. There are a lot of Cops on US 1 so making good time is not an option.

Quote:
--How annoying are the tourists? 9,000 people on a cruise ship, and 2 cruise ships docking at a time. I can't imagine what a hassle that must be.
I am a tourist, although I don't do the cruise ship thing.
There can be 3 or 4 ships in port at any one time. They must be gone by sunset. The only places I notice that get overwhelmed by cruise ship folks are Hog's Breath & Sloppy Joe's. Other than that they just seem to migrate up & down Duval.

Quote:
--Lastly, how "wierd" is Key West? This is hard to define, and some people might take offense. I like neighborhoods that are often described as "alternative" "bohemian" "progressive" or just "artistic."

It's call "Key Weird" for a reason.

I'm a garden variety married (with children) Libertarian white boy and I don't fing it weird at all. Old Town is interesting and eclectic. My kind of place.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM

63 posts, read 105,382 times
What about some of the other keys? Largo for instance, how do they differ, what are their reputations and characteristics?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,355,393 times
The other Keys are far more quiet than Key West.

Key Largo, for example, bills itself as the dive capital of the world. It has some shops and restaurants, but is very much a place to get in touch with nature.

The same goes for the Marathon area, and is most true for the Lower Keys (Big Pine area)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM

326 posts, read 1,304,544 times
Default Vacationing in the Keys

I want to book a 3 night stay somewhere in the FL Keys next month. I'm not really picky as to were in the Keys (loooking at Marathon and Key Largo though) but I do want at least a one bedroom beachfront.

Does anybody have any hotel/resort recommendations. Every place I have looked at is either booked or isn't really beachfront.

Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida