Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM

13 posts, read 216,988 times

Advertisements

Tell me about drive times. Assuming you start at Rosevelt and Oveseas Highway, and the traffic isn't bad, how long would it take to drive to:

Cudjoe Key?
Bahia Honda?
Marathon?
Key Largo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 16,708,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Expatriate View Post
Tell me about drive times. Assuming you start at Rosevelt and Oveseas Highway, and the traffic isn't bad, how long would it take to drive to:

Cudjoe Key?
Bahia Honda?
Marathon?
Key Largo?
Cudjoe Key is @ Mile marker 21, so it is approx. 21 miles from Key West (25 minutes)
Bahia Honda is @ mile marker 36 so it is approx. 36 miles from Key West (40 minutes)
Marathon is @ mile marker 65 so it is approx. 65 miles from Key West (1 hour)
Key Largo is @ mile marker 110 so it is approx. 110 miles from Key West (1 hr 45 minutes)

Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 18,825 times
Default Thinking about moving to Key West? opinions?

I Have been thinking about moving to Key West for the Past 3 months. I have an old friend there who loves it, he gives jet ski tours all day for a living.
Im single moving there by my self and im 32 years old.

How is the Job availability? and rent? Ive been in car and motorcycle sales for the last few years up in New Hampshire. and I cant stand the winters up here any more. I have been to Florida a few times but never Key West. I dont mind the heat and humidity I can handle that.
But I heard rent is not cheap.
And do i really need a car to live there or can i sell my car and just buy a motorcycle or bike?
Looking for opinions from people who have been there or lived there and know how it really is. thanks

Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 AM

814 posts, read 2,050,232 times
I have a place in big pine key about 30 miles from key west and as far as rents go right now you could find a place in big pine for $1300 a month but its 30 miles just to get to the island of key west! I am not really sure about the other keys but I would avoid stock island and any place within close proximity to a trailer park. as for beaches IMHO Bahia Honda SP has the best public beach in the keys. As for traveling in the keys, I would recommend you keep a cooler in the car with your favorite beverages at all times. If there is an accident that involves death or severe injuries it will close down route one in both directions. I have personally been stopped in traffic due to an accident for 4 and 1/2 hrs at a standstill less than 6 miles from my house but unable to get there. I have also made it to key west in less than 1/2 hr at the right time of day. As for jobs unless you possess a marketable skill you will be working in the food and beverage/ customer service/sales industry. The pay is not all that good either for example a RV park on big pine is looking for a maintenance man right now and want to pay them $8.50 an hr. jus sayin paradise rocks but it's not as easy to live here as many other parts of Florida. lots of people have 2 jobs just to live paycheck to paycheck.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM

129 posts, read 429,328 times
Default Picks of what you can find in Key West!

Here is a quick "view" of the area! I won't give away to many of the other things to do.

(you can click on any of these images to see a MUCH larger image of your choice)

This is nicknamed "Coppers Beach" just do to the fact that this is the front yard to the family that lives in the home behind the beach.

After your arrival in Key West you should be able to spot this scene.

Regardless of your age, Sunset watching is a must here. It's one of the rare things that are free!

If you look closely you will be able to find these.

If your brave, you can even end up possibly getting to taste one of these little cute fish!

If you go to the right places, you can find 7lb starfish as well!

If you go to the airport, make sure you take your bike!

Family Photography is a MUST when you are in Key West.

Depending on where you find yourself walking, you could end up on the yellow road through the crooked forest!

Just a few of the things to enjoy here!

Old 05-07-2011, 04:28 PM

41 posts, read 206,166 times
I'd rather see a all keys forum. I been to the keys prolly 20 times from the chicago area.

And while there is no place like key west, I actually prefer to stay between islamorada and say marathon this way you can run both ways. Key west is a must see, walking or crawling Duval or the square at sunset. But the dolphin research center and Pennekamp and alot of other places are a must go, especially for families.

So yes my vote would definitely be for a keys sub forum but an all keys one.

JMO

Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 76,080 times
I'd really appreciate a Keys forum. I'm looking at a move over to Big Pine or somewhere near, early next year from the UK. I've always just lurked on city-data and usually don't post online but wanted to +1 to the requests. Info here has been so helpful, thanks everyone.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,691,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgiasgirl View Post
I'd really appreciate a Keys forum. I'm looking at a move over to Big Pine or somewhere near, early next year from the UK. I've always just lurked on city-data and usually don't post online but wanted to +1 to the requests. Info here has been so helpful, thanks everyone.
My family has a home near there; let me know if you need any specific information on where to stay, neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. Also, check the "Florida Keys" post under the general Florida forum. I've been posting in it over the last few days.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 AM

6 posts, read 76,080 times
Thanks, crisp444 yes I saw the 'Florida Keys' post too, so helpful all this. My US fiance is currently looking for work in the Keys and the plan is to have him relocate from Michigan then I'll join him when my fiancee visa comes through.

He has family there and I visited last month (and got engaged!). He can stay with them during his first moving phase to look for a place but then when I come over ideally as newlyweds we'll want our own place. We went to the No Name Pub, Cracked Egg Cafe on Big Pine and also Ambrosia and Thai Life on the Marina in Key West...all pretty good!

We have a good 6-12 months to make the move. It's all up in the air because these things seem to just take as long as they take. However, I like to be prepared and know about cost of living, opportunities, activities etc for where I'm heading hence the avid reading of forums!

I've been looking online with him for jobs, we've only been looking for a week. He has a bachelor's degree and is currently working as assistant manager in retail but there is no branch of his company in the Keys. He wants to go into counselling or Guardian ad Litem type advocacy but anything will do if it gives him enough to get us started. I've googled 'Jobs in Florida Keys' and come up with the usual listing sites, also looked in the Key West Citizen for posts, Monroe County site etc. His family are helping look for local opportunities. He has applied for some positions but if there is any site, tips or grapevine opportunity that is recommended for jobs I'd love to hear it!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM

41 posts, read 206,166 times
I loved no name pub. It was great but i am sure my dollar is gone. So I guess ill have to go back and put up a new one. But that would be okay because that dollar was with the last wife. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida