Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 10:44 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Some might think I don't dress for my age - 68 (thank God I don't) or dress weird. I say, the weirder the better.

Get old, but don't get boring! - Iris Apfel
Good for you! I like that attitude of not conforming to a certain look, lest you be judged for trying to "look young". I hope the same attitude applies to your hairstyles. Seems like nearly every woman over 50 feels compelled to cut her hair short like a man, basically like the woman in the video. Boring and unattractive.

I worked with a woman once who was 65ish and had beautiful silver hair down to her waist, held back with a headband or barrettes. I thought she looked great. Then a friend of mine met her and later remarked "She's kind of old to have hair that long...I wouldn't want to show off all that gray hair." Whaaat?! What a dumb comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 11:23 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
This YouTuber has said previously that she has thinning hair and that's why she cuts it short. Some women are lucky enough to have thick, healthy hair in their later years, but they're in the minority. Most look better with their hair neat and trimmed (doesn't have to be super-short) than long and straggly.

I'm surprised to see so many fashion rebels in what seems to be a middle-aged and up age group here. People can wear what they want, of course, but unless you're an artist or a fortune teller, I think it just puts people off. Maybe that's the point.

In any case, I like Marie-Anne's videos. She doesn't always wear things I'd wear, especially since we look very different, but I generally like her style. She looks better than 95% of the people I see.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:12 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I didn't see much difference in the looks, and with the 2nd one, I generally would not display my breasts, and never did at any age. The woman says she is over 60, and if she isn't way over 60, well, she looks more like at least 75.

What I see being almost 70 years old, is that so many try to keep or go back to their high school days sort of style, which is their choice, frumpy or out-of style. What I find interesting is that the neighbor across the street is 73, the one next door 72, and we all wear our hair differently and dress totally different, I mean DIFFERENT! That is the way it should be!

Think I look frumpy? Yeah, I don't care. It works for me!

Old 03-23-2024, 12:30 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
At 3:16 she has an old grey faced black dog in her arms. That changed my whole impression of Marie Anne
I don't particularly like any of the fashion "tips" she has to give but anyone who loves an old dog is okay with me.

But back to fashion. Wide capris usually look awful on most people. If you are thin, a slim capri that ends an inch or two below the knee can look stylish and it opens up more choices for footwear than you have with pants because you don't have to worry of about heel height.

At 67 I don't like wearing anything above my knees so shorts are out for me. As another poster upthread mentioned, capris can be a good choice in hot, humid weather like we have in FL. I have a couple of pairs that have a little stretch to them and when I'm at my "good" weight, I think they look pretty nice and more importantly, I'm comfortable in our hot weather.

Old 03-23-2024, 02:01 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
... floral dresses with a white cardigan and white sandals ..another Blackpool staple from the past...

Don't forget their husbands in short sleeve shirts, plaid pants, white belt and white loafers.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
At 3:16 she has an old grey faced black dog in her arms. That changed my whole impression of Marie Anne

Wide capris usually look awful on most people. If you are thin, a slim capri that ends an inch or two below the knee can look stylish and it opens up more choices for footwear than you have with pants because you don't have to worry of about heel height.
The black dog is Coco (after Chanel). Marie-Anne's other dog is a brown chihuahua named Peanut. They usually wander into her studio when she's making videos. She also has a horse and chickens on her farm in Normandy. She and her Brit husband have been renovating the ancient stone farmhouse.

I agree with you about slim capris, which are more flattering than the baggy ones that visually chop your legs off. They are a great compromise between shorts and pants. Only babies have attractive knees! There are a lot of cute capris on this page:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/166773992420970513/

One of her pet peeves is American youtubers lecturing on French style to make a quick buck. She lives it and so did her chic mother. French style is simple and practical, not flashy or extravagant. She is a professional stylist who has written several books on Amazon; does personal consulting and now it's mostly online classes. She has videos for different body types so I suggest watching those if you have trouble deciding what suits you. She has done videos for women who can't wear heels, who have bunions, who are short, are overweight, etc. She answers questions on livestreams.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
... capris can be a good choice in hot, humid weather like we have in FL. I have a couple of pairs that have a little stretch to them and when I'm at my "good" weight, I think they look pretty nice and more importantly, I'm comfortable in our hot weather.

Something I like in hot weather are gauzy cotton Indian pants. Very flowy and feminine, don't cling to your legs. We have Asian mosquitoes which bite your lower legs and feet. They can't get a grip!

Old 03-23-2024, 03:25 PM

This is her latest livestream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h5B3aRyKYY

Old 03-24-2024, 02:45 PM

This thread sent me on a wild goose chase looking for tight or slim fitting capris on Poshmark. Something Doris Day, Audrey Hepburn and Mary Tyler Moore wore. It seems most people don't know the difference between bermuda shorts, capris, cropped pants and ankle pants. There should be some sort of consensus, don't you think?

In my opinion:

bermuda shorts = above the knee
capris = covering the knee to top of calf
cropped = mid calf or just below
ankle = above ankle bone

I now regret tossing out my slim fitting stretchy capris that I bought from Macy's in the '90s. Perfect length a couple of inches below my knee and very flattering. If I could remember the brand I'd look for it specifically in vintage collections.

So now I've spent too much time searching, finding something that looks possible, emailing the seller to ask inseam and they are always the wrong length. If they are too long, they always have cute buttons on the hem or some sort of detail that I like which means I'd have to cut it off!

The search continues...

Old 03-24-2024, 02:51 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I think she's talented, but as an older woman, I go for comfort...pointy toe shoes hurt my wide feet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty