Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 11:34 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
There seems to be trend now it seems of young people wearing pajama pants out in public.

I was at fast food place today and there was these two girls one wearing pink pajama pants and other girl red checkered pajama pants and flip flops.

Anyone notice new trend now it seems of young people wearing pajama pants out in public? Well obviously some cities seem to me more trend than other cities.
I’ve noticed it a lot in Maryland. And no, I don’t think it’s appropriate.

People shouldn’t be wearing pajamas out in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 11:45 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
PJ pants, specifically, are often coded to younger people and poorer people. Rich married ladies are at Publix in their LuluLemon, not Disney fleeces.
LMAO, not sure what LuluLemon is, I guess because I'm not rich. But I don't wear pajamas in public and probably never will unless I develop dementia. (And a psychic recently told me I never will. Of course, that may also mean that I will keel over before it happens. )

Old 08-25-2023, 04:34 PM

1,230 posts, read 989,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, it's been pretty universal. You just may not have noticed.
Not in Los Angeles or Dallas. Most people don’t even wear sweatpants in Los Angeles or Dallas.

May be in Fairbanks or Anchorage.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:33 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
My 60+ year old neighbor came by in his flannel pajama pants. It's not just kids.

I wear nightgowns, not pants, or I'd probably be doing it, too.

ETA, now that I think about it, I used to wear cotton knit pajama pants in public back in 2000. But as a seamstress and costumer, I know that, apart from the marketing, there isn't much difference between leggings and pajama pants.
Getting worked up over a label is foolish.

Last edited by steiconi; 08-25-2023 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 06:41 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,941 times
I first noticed it years ago...I thought it was a Walmart thing;

Old 08-25-2023, 06:54 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Americans in general have looked sloppy for decades. Not sure what the reason is, but it doesn't seems to be improving. (I know the T-word is forbidden here, but now it's excessive tattoos, in addition to sloppy or inappropriate clothes)

When I was a young person back in the 90s I recall wearing baggy tshirts and fleece sweatpants because I was so thin. Regular clothes didn't fit me and made me look like a toothpick ripe for being teased. My daytime pajamas helped to cover up self confidence issues.

I don't frequent Walmart or public places much at all, but have looked at the People of Walmart website on occasion. Is that for real? Hard to believe.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:24 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Americans in general have looked sloppy for decades. Not sure what the reason is, but it doesn't seems to be improving. (I know the T-word is forbidden here, but now it's excessive tattoos, in addition to sloppy or inappropriate clothes)

When I was a young person back in the 90s I recall wearing baggy tshirts and fleece sweatpants because I was so thin. Regular clothes didn't fit me and made me look like a toothpick ripe for being teased. My daytime pajamas helped to cover up self confidence issues.

I don't frequent Walmart or public places much at all, but have looked at the People of Walmart website on occasion. Is that for real? Hard to believe.
It's so real that I've debated taking some photos there myself.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:08 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Flannel pajama bottoms with tank tops were seen in young women at Walmarts in metro Denver (at least) as far back as 2007 and had graduated to other venues (such as even to "decent" suburban coffee shops) within the next ten years.

It was a trashy look then, imo, and it is a trashy look now, imo. Imo, it is on a par with stretched out bra straps hanging halfway down the arm or bra straps being very evident under skimpy camisoles.

However, I'm an old lady, so what do I know?

Btw, I haven't seen that look in Wisconsin since we moved here. It's true that many women (and men) are overweight here, but most of them at least dress at least somewhat modestly.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:42 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
I haven't really noticed it, but then again

I remember my Son saying some of the girls at school were wearing pajama pants to class.
This was a few years back.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Ten years ago, I saw high school or college girls wear PJ bottoms & Uggs in Denver, even in high snow... didn't seem like the most sensible attire in icy cold winter. Never saw it before or since, but I suppose it depends on where one travels.

The "trend" I notice in Des Moines seems to be women who wear short-shorts so short they make the Hooters' girls look prudish. I'd be very uncomfortable walking around outside with my ah, backside, being exposed.

I'm also stunned that I see MOST women in thongs & g-strings at the pool. Honestly, the last 10-yrs I've lived between SoCal & FL & never once saw that kind of gear at a public pool or beach. In fact, it's mentioned as forbidden attire at the community pool in every lease I've signed besides here.

I don't know why it's an Iowan thing (I'd think you'd find it more in beach communities)... I've honestly never seen women wear so little outside anywhere else I've ever lived & also surprised that it's not younger ones, but late mostly 30s. (ETA: Not saying 30s are old... just saying I'd think the ones pushing boundaries would be teens to early 20-somethings.)

I guess it's a different world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty