Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 07:31 AM

5,201 posts, read 4,513,212 times

Advertisements

When I worked in the corporate world of the late 1980s-early 2000s, all women wore heels. So I just got used to wearing them all the time. For work the heels were medium to high, thin heels. In my personal time I wore heels, too, like when dating, going out to dinner, the theater, etc. For the informal events, the style of the shoes or boots would usually be more casual and with a thicker and/or lower heel.

Since leaving the corporate world, I only wear formal, thin high heels for special occasions like parties, weddings, funerals, court, etc. I also wear heels to church sometimes. So for me, nowadays, heels are mostly reserved for formal occasions.

I lament this increasingly informal world where the beautiful and elegant are replaced by the plain/unattractive and utilitarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 11:03 AM

29,792 posts, read 34,596,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I lament this increasingly informal world where the beautiful and elegant are replaced by the plain/unattractive and utilitarian.
It's rather limiting to think that only one kind of shoe is beautiful and elegant, and that women not wanting to wear things that might actually hurt or hobble them is a societal failing.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:48 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,636,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's rather limiting to think that only one kind of shoe is beautiful and elegant, and that women not wanting to wear things that might actually hurt or hobble them is a societal failing.

Walking in the wrong sneaker or bad fitting flats can hurt our feet too. ITA tho….wear heels for the right occasion AND because we want to. Heels are not a societal failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post

This makes no sense to me. It’s shoes.^^ You do you. AND there are cute platforms, sneakers & flats ofc for different styles. Wedges are back too. Fashion isn’t about unattractive or plain…or just heels.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:19 PM

88,926 posts, read 85,450,301 times
I am six feet tall, so heels were OUT for me. I worked in a business setting, but obviously I was not going to wear high heels, so I had nice business flats or the occasional very low heel.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:39 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,658,192 times
High heels certainly look attractive, but I never liked them and haven't worn them in ages. They are uncomfortable and hazardous, and can cause physical damage. I had a co-worker who wore nothing but high heels for years and suddenly suffered pain whenever she wore flats. The podiatrist she went to told her that her tendons had shortened due to constantly wearing heels. Plus, she developed bunions. Not worth it, IMO. If I want a "taller" shoe I stick with wedge heels, but nothing above 2 inches.

Old 02-12-2022, 05:00 PM

316 posts, read 307,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
High heels certainly look attractive, but I never liked them and haven't worn them in ages. They are uncomfortable and hazardous, and can cause physical damage.
My SIL ended up having surgery to help alleviate serious back issues after years of wearing incredibly high heels to work every day. She hasn't worn them since, as per doctor's orders.

I did the requisite heels during my work years in corporate America and was happy to leave that behind after having kids. I don't miss them at all.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:22 AM

18,607 posts, read 18,895,058 times
Ive wore heels forever.. although now at 74 its three inch block heel boots or wedge shoes or boots... I cant walk in flat shoes and never will... as Ive worn heels for so long it has shortened the hamstring..... Im also short so feel better in heels... but until the 80s I even wore high heels to work... most women seem to back then... now its far more casual..and suppose a good thing..

Old 02-14-2022, 02:11 PM

22,450 posts, read 29,626,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am six feet tall, so heels were OUT for me. I worked in a business setting, but obviously I was not going to wear high heels, so I had nice business flats or the occasional very low heel.
Jealous of your height lol. My bro's ex was 6' and wore 5" heels.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,199,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Agreed. High heels can and do cause a lot of foot problems and when I see them, I think how silly it is to wear something so unhealthy for the sake of vanity.

https://www.gwapodiatry.com/library/...eled-shoes.cfm

Old 02-14-2022, 05:56 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Walking in the wrong sneaker or bad fitting flats can hurt our feet too. ITA tho….wear heels for the right occasion AND because we want to. Heels are not a societal failing.
We can assume that we're using an apples to apples comparison... you're wearing sneakers or flats that fit. Nobody is forcing you to wear a pair of them that's 3 sizes too small, or regular when you should be wearing 1 or double wide. Equal comparisons, even properly fitted heels will do more damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty