Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 09:42 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

I think there was a general trend to downshift from high heels to pumps for office attire and semi-formal occasions. But once "casual Fridays" became everyday office style, there was no longer much need for more formal footwear. There may be a few office environments, where women (and men) still dress more formally: law offices, financial services industry, maybe certain corporate environments, but not others anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 09:50 AM

19 posts, read 13,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
By daily wear do you mean at work, or just going about your daily routine at home or school? Back in the eighties a lot of companies still wanted their female employees to wear dresses or skirts (power suits anyone?) with heels and hose. Even if it wasn't stated it was often understood to be an unwritten rule. Depictions of women in business in old shows and movies probably reflects that. The movie 9-5 with Dolly Parton springs to mind.
Yes I mean daily wear, by choice, without work or social obligation e.g. going shopping or casual coffee with friends, just wearing them for enjoyment of looking and feeling good, without anywhere special to go.
I think for some women they are empowering and for others they are the opposite.
I enjoy wearing them but I certainly don't advocate for going back to the 80's or the dark days of mandating women to wear them. I think it should be by choice.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:51 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryLipstick View Post
I love fashion too but also I feel more confident in them.
I think I enjoy wearing them more than most.
But I know for some it's a chore or pressure of social obligation / conformity.
If YOU like them, and enjoy wearing them, you should wear them.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:28 AM

19 posts, read 13,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Tho how is wearing heels a chore or social obligation?^^ Who do you know that thinks that? Is that what you are trying to make a point of with your thread?
I mean for those who hate wearing them but feel social pressure to wear them in certain environments e.g. at work if their colleagues wear them or there is some kind of "unwritten" dress code.
Not that there is a gun to their head but some are more susceptible to peer pressure and trying to "fit in" than others. I can think of a couple of friends who feel this way.

Anyways, that's a side note. My query was more to with style in previous decades vs now and if high heels have faded in popularity over time.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:43 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
I feel like the pandemic changed everything. Casual sportswear seems to have taken over. I don't even see women wearing casual clothes like jeans and boots anymore. It's all leggings or sweats with sneakers. Louboutin heels have been traded for Louboutin sneakers or Golden Goose.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:47 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Anyways, that's a side note. My query was more to with style in previous decades vs now and if high heels have faded in popularity over time.
I can't speak to the current situation, but I will say that back in the eighties I did have several friends and relatives who were very much of the mindset that heels were the ultimate sexy, a must if they were going to be around men in public or private. Of course these women were also the ones whose husbands had never seen them without makeup. I don't know how widespread that kind if thinking was back then, or now for that matter.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:50 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
My query was more to with style in previous decades vs now and if high heels have faded in popularity over time.

Well…I don’t think Christian Louboutin, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Salvatore Ferragamo & other brands think it has faded. IMO they are selling more than ever….but there are casual options too ofc because most of us who love heels & wear them a lot still wear sneakers too.

edit:

Quote:
Yes I mean daily wear, by choice, without work or social obligation e.g. going shopping or casual coffee with friends, just wearing them for enjoyment of looking and feeling good, without anywhere special to go.

Like for casual coffee with friends^^, house hunting or shopping. It’s common sense that being casual for daily stuff is more popular & that it depends on the occasion. AND….IMO it doesn’t take heels to feel good about our appearance or style. Matter of fact, I would feel better not to be overdressed for casual coffee with my friends.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-03-2022 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-03-2022, 11:00 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't like wearing hose and many high heels require that (I know not all of them do). So that's one blow against them.

I am also tall and I just don't want to be a lot taller so there's that. I'm not self conscious about it, and I have worn heels many times before, and just did it because I wanted to, and my 6 ft tall husband always, always called me an Amazon. That was OK by me though - I just don't personally strive to be any taller so that's another blow against high heels.

Finally, my feet often hurt after wearing high heels. Another blow against them.

As for platform shoes - they're easier on my feet but I still might twist an ankle. Who knows? Who cares either? No one.

No one really bothers me one way or the other about my foot wear. So I wear what I want to wear, and I tailor the look toward the whole outfit. I wouldn't turn down an outfit I loved because it might look better with high heels, or low heels. I have some high heels in fact - but I don't remember the last time I wore them! LOL

When I worked outside the home, I wore heels more often. Heck, I wore dresses and hose more often too. And business suits. And statement necklaces. Now I don't have to do any of that unless I want to.
Same here. I remember my high heels and "power" red business suit that always wore when I had to brief Admirals and other high-ranking officers. They made me feel (and, I hope, look) more confident and authoritative. Thank heavens no one expects a gardener to dress up much, even if they're giving a lecture. In fact, one thing I love about being a Master Gardener is that we're all casual dressers.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:16 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
I think for some women they are empowering and for others they are the opposite.
I enjoy wearing them but I certainly don't advocate for going back to the 80's or the dark days of mandating women to wear them. I think it should be by choice.
Some have had foot problems. Heels would hurt that more. At best, nothing higher than 2". Others can and do rock them. Then you have the ones who are "middle road"... I've seen women leave the office (you specified outside of office settings, but I felt the need to include this), or leave clubs/parties, and when they're outside, change to flats, and put their heels inside their purses, or some other bag.

Wandered upon a random article that recommend girls shouldn't be wearing high heels until they're at least 16, but TBH, the later the batter. Part of it has to do with how their bodies are still growing at that age.

I still recall someone telling me stories of how his family used to live in Japan in the 70s and 80s, move to America, but go to a day at the amusement park with men wearing suits and women wearing heels. They got chuckled at. Not b/c it was highly illegal or anything, but it was just really unnecessary. With all the walking you'll be doing in heels, and if it's summer, wearing a suit without AC just sucks (I'd argue it sucks, period, but I digress)

Old 02-03-2022, 11:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Some have had foot problems. Heels would hurt that more. At best, nothing higher than 2". Others can and do rock them. Then you have the ones who are "middle road"... I've seen women leave the office (you specified outside of office settings, but I felt the need to include this), or leave clubs/parties, and when they're outside, change to flats, and put their heels inside their purses, or some other bag.

Wandered upon a random article that recommend girls shouldn't be wearing high heels until they're at least 16, but TBH, the later the batter. Part of it has to do with how their bodies are still growing at that age.

I still recall someone telling me stories of how his family used to live in Japan in the 70s and 80s, move to America, but go to a day at the amusement park with men wearing suits and women wearing heels. They got chuckled at. Not b/c it was highly illegal or anything, but it was just really unnecessary. With all the walking you'll be doing in heels, and if it's summer, wearing a suit without AC just sucks (I'd argue it sucks, period, but I digress)
You know what I always have thought is funny? The footwear of Japanese tourists in other countries. As a whole - the rule, not the exceptions. But that's a topic for another thread.

Do what makes YOU happy is what I say. Dress the way you want to dress, for you.

Personally, I wore high heels a lot when I was working in the corporate world for decades, but once I got out of that rat race (and also, I think fashions have changed), I quit wearing them for the most part. I think they can look very nice but I also think they can look stupid. Just depends, on so many factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty