Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,331,805 times

Advertisements

I am a 62 year old woman and still have my charm bracelet from when I was 16. Never wear it as I hate the noise they make. Plus 10 seems a little young for a Pandora, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 07:05 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,256,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie View Post
but again, the smaller the bracelet, the fewer charm beads it will hold. I've been in the jewelry business for 30 years, and i know the beads are a fad, and overpriced for what they are. If the op is looking for a jewelry gift that she can add to for many years, pandora is not the way to go. A regular(timeless) charm bracelet would be a better choice, but even that will not likely be appreciated by a child.

I currently handle the jewelry donations for a non-profit organization. we receive a lot of pandora, and sell it for pennies on the dollar. Same with the zoppini stretch charm bracelets.
+1.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 AM

60 posts, read 57,866 times
Thanks for replies everyone. Appreciate everyone's opinions.
Agree that the brand name Pandora does seem way overpriced especially for a child. Need to keep looking.
I have seen an adjustable sterling silver ring on line with a cz birthstone that I am also considering. Already ordered the pearl in the oyster sterling silver pendant that JTV has- this is really kind of interesting- they have to open the real oyster to get the pearl and put it in the locket. She will have fun doing that and it is educational. She has a birthday in Nov. and of course Christmas soon follows. Yeah-grammy kind of spoils her.
I still have a gold ring from childhood that just fits on my pinkie now plus a pearl necklace my uncle gave me for my 16th.Also several other pieces previously family owned- always think of the owner when I wear them.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:51 PM

Default With the pandora type do the charms stay put or slide around if only have a few?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And as she grows, she can get a larger bracelet and add more charms if she chooses. She doesn't need a ton of charms right now.
Do the charms slide around if only a few on the Pandora type?

Old 10-28-2017, 01:07 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
I had a charm bracelet, solid gold with tiny animals when I was in high school. My bratty little sister stole it. My parents replaced it with what they could afford at the time--a big heavy (stainless steel?) clunky bracelet that I didn't like that much. Loaded with charms. I did wear it but wasn't in love with it.

So finally, last year, I picked out a sweet gold filled charm bracelet online on etsy. It's vintage and somewhat unique and etsy has lots of sellers who have cute charms for sale. I didn't want to go expensive--what if you lose it? But I think the idea of a birthstone charm is sweet and timeless.

Make sure you know the circumference of her wrist and that it has a good safety clasp. Also that it's easy to get on and off.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:04 PM

16,424 posts, read 12,529,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebegonia View Post
Do the charms slide around if only a few on the Pandora type?
They do slide around freely, unless you get the clip charms that at as "stops" at a couple spots on the bracelet.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had a charm bracelet, solid gold with tiny animals when I was in high school. My bratty little sister stole it. My parents replaced it with what they could afford at the time--a big heavy (stainless steel?) clunky bracelet that I didn't like that much. Loaded with charms. I did wear it but wasn't in love with it.

So finally, last year, I picked out a sweet gold filled charm bracelet online on etsy. It's vintage and somewhat unique and etsy has lots of sellers who have cute charms for sale. I didn't want to go expensive--what if you lose it? But I think the idea of a birthstone charm is sweet and timeless.

Make sure you know the circumference of her wrist and that it has a good safety clasp. Also that it's easy to get on and off.
Thanks for opinion-I was actually thinking of the Walmart one for now,Yeah Bears!

Last edited by firebegonia; 10-28-2017 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: I mean real bears not a football team.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:29 PM

I meant real bears not a football team or something.

Last edited by firebegonia; 10-28-2017 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Pandora bracelets are a fading fad. The problem is, the bracelet part itself is pretty unattractive until it's covered up with the beads, and the beads are expensive. The bracelets are also longer than normal because the beads are thick, so it will fall off a child's wrist. If you have it shortened, it won't hold many beads.

For a young girl, a pendant necklace or a ring, maybe with her birthstone or initial, would be a better choice.
I agree with this. Depending on the girl, and there is no way I could know, she might like a small birthstone ring. If her ears are pierced, some small stud earrings could also be a good choice. Those are always in style.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,652,120 times
If you are between six and ten years old they are great. Otherwise, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty