Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebegonia View Post
Thinking of getting my 10 year old GD a charm type bracelet for xmas.
I think real charm bracelets are timeless, preppy, classics.

That said, for a ten year old I would go for a Pandora rip off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 03:11 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
I think that a charm bracelet would be nice.

I had one when I was a kid that my grandmother got me and still have it put away

I have one that I bought and found that Amazon is the best place to get them for a wider variety of sizes.

My wrists are 5" in circumference so I have a hard time finding bracelets to fit me. These come in sizes 6"-9"

https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Brace.../dp/B00TCXLHSK

Old 10-27-2017, 06:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
They come in different sizes. It's not difficult to find a size that is big enough to allow for beads but not so big that it falls off.
But again, the smaller the bracelet, the fewer charm beads it will hold. I've been in the jewelry business for 30 years, and I know the beads are a fad, and overpriced for what they are. If the OP is looking for a jewelry gift that she can add to for many years, Pandora is not the way to go. A regular(timeless) charm bracelet would be a better choice, but even that will not likely be appreciated by a child.

I currently handle the jewelry donations for a non-profit organization. We receive a lot of Pandora, and sell it for pennies on the dollar. Same with the Zoppini stretch charm bracelets.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:38 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,812,481 times
I would buy her a traditional sterling bracelet with one charm. I would add to it over time. They are less expensive than Pandora and nicer (IMO). It's a nice keepsake. Pandora will stretch (from weight of charms) over time as charms are added. I don't care for charms sliding around or twisting and turning. YMMV

Old 10-27-2017, 07:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
It's a neat idea, but I think traditional charm bracelets rather than Pandora are more likely to stay popular over time.

My kids won't wear bracelets with beads. I bought them each one (not Pandora, a knock off) and they regifted them to their grandmothers. One kid wears an assortment of leather bands. The other will wear necklaces but says bracelets are designed to make women less functional by getting caught on everything.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:59 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,076 times
I was just looking at some for my niece's 10-year-old daughter. If you go to amazon.com and search for "charm bracelets for girls" you'll see quite a few different kinds.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 PM

16,424 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But again, the smaller the bracelet, the fewer charm beads it will hold.
And as she grows, she can get a larger bracelet and add more charms if she chooses. She doesn't need a ton of charms right now.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:11 PM

16,424 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brook2ga View Post
Pandora will stretch (from weight of charms) over time as charms are added.
Not significantly. Not enough to cause a problem. It's not elastic.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:18 PM

638 posts, read 530,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like the idea of a charm bracelet for a young girl. Even if she doesn’t choose to wear it a lot, it will still be a timeline for her life. Memories of Christmasses, and birthdays, and how her interests changed throughout her life.

I would go with good quality, silver charms from a jewelry store, rather than pandora.

I dont know what became of mine, unfortunately, but I still remember some of the charms. One was a Bible, with a little window in it. If you held it to the light and looked in, you could see writing inside. Also cheerleader, ballerina, a dachshund, tennis racket, etc.

Agreed. It is a special memento regardless of fashion and not at all “faddish”. It’s fun. Unless she wanted something else in particular you should go for it.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:18 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Heirloom jewelry has to start somewhere!

With the best of economic and quality advice...stay away from Pandora (200% markup..no that's not a typo).

Try a different approach...make your own. Good quality beads can be had. From craft stores...or a local jeweler can recommend certain brand beads.

We have a local store called let's bead friends. Catchy name ..and they have classes on jewelry making...what a bonding moment for my little granddaughter and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty