Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:03 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I would buy myself something expensive as in Platinum or 18k and then give it to her when she is an adult or leave it to her upon my death. My grandmother left me a diamond ring set in platinum that had originally belonged to my great grandmother. One isn't too likely at twenty to like or wear a bracelet started when one is 10. I don't know that a 10 year old could appreciate sentimental value yet. However, you know your GD and maybe a charm bracelet will be perfect for her.
Thread is over a year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:59 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think you need to better tailor your gift to the kid. I was not interested in jewelry, particularly things with lots of bling. It was a bad choice of gifts since I liked technology, video games and reading.

It is a rite of passage to get jewelry at milestone childhood birthdays, but it may not actually be relevant to that particular kid. No need to force your ideas on them without any confirmation they'll be into it.
This. My maternal grandmother LOVED jewelry (but had very little of it because they lived modestly). My mother could take it or leave it. I love jewelry, too. Grandma gave me an amethyst ring set in white gold at my 8th grade graduation and when the setting wore through, I had it reset in platinum with a smaller diamond on either side. (Grandma would either be horrified at the cost or would have loved it. Not sure which.) But that's just me. I have two beautiful granddaughters, aged 2 and 4 now, and would be very hesitant about giving them any valuable jewelry at age 13 unless I knew they'd be careful with it.

I know this is an old thread, but saw the Subject line and wanted to add that I actually have a 1950s type charm bracelet. I bought the bracelet years ago off e-Bay and have added gold charms from my travels. I've also bought a few off e-Bay from places I visited before I bought the bracelet (Liechtenstein, Munich, Venice). As jewelry purchases go, a gold charm is relatively cheap and very portable. I have no illusion that it's an investment but every time I wear the bracelet it brings back nice memories.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:08 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,084 times
Hate them. Noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty