Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:51 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I grew up in the 80's when really short shorts were the fashion (at least according to old family photos I've seen) so I have always been used to wearing shorts that didn't ever go past the knee. In recent years it's become quite a quest shopping for new shorts because it seems that most shorts made in the last 10 years are the longer style shorts that go below the knees. For some reason it bugs me when I wear longer shorts since the fabric rubs against my knees as I walk. I do a lot of hiking/walking and the shorter "cargo" type shorts have always worked well and feel much more comfortable for me. They aren't usually much shorter than an inch or so above the knee so it's not like I am wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts. GF recently told me she thinks my shorts are too short and that guys shouldn't wear shorts above the knee. What do you think?
Dude. This is so bogus. Look at the REI catalogs, Eddie Bauer and other outdoor sports catalogs. They're full of above-knee shorts for men. The woods and mountain trails aren't the 'hood, you know what I'm saying? Below-knee shorts are for hood rats. Come out to California or Western Washington, and see how dudes dress for the outdoors. Reality check. Where do you live, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
The Western world is still so hamstrung about sexuality, no thanks to and historically because of too much religion. As a man, if I allow wearing short shorts or not to define who I am then sadly I'm not being true to my Self. Sadly, social and religious conditioning accounts for so much abject exclusion and brutal bullying as well as the preposterous notion that deviations from what what the social norm considers masculine must be therefore be gay is still pervasive. It is a wonder incidents of teen suicide are not even higher than they are and why so many others feel isolated and alone. But times they are a changin'! Who wears short shorts? I've been happily married to the woman of my dreams for 43 years and have three great sons. I wear shorts shorts. I've got the legs for them and she loves it! Peace.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I grew up in the 80's when really short shorts were the fashion (at least according to old family photos I've seen) so I have always been used to wearing shorts that didn't ever go past the knee. In recent years it's become quite a quest shopping for new shorts because it seems that most shorts made in the last 10 years are the longer style shorts that go below the knees. For some reason it bugs me when I wear longer shorts since the fabric rubs against my knees as I walk. I do a lot of hiking/walking and the shorter "cargo" type shorts have always worked well and feel much more comfortable for me. They aren't usually much shorter than an inch or so above the knee so it's not like I am wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts. GF recently told me she thinks my shorts are too short and that guys shouldn't wear shorts above the knee. What do you think?
Ever since the 90"s started and the hip hop culture was born men"s short have been getting larger. I do not understand why that is . it is almost as if men should be ashamed of their legs or something to where they should hide them. I just don"t get it. I hate those stupid huge shorts that look like they belong to a giant. You like when your 5 year old son tries to wear your shorts. You can tell they are shorts but they cover most of his legs.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Ever since the 90"s started and the hip hop culture was born men"s short have been getting larger. I do not understand why that is . it is almost as if men should be ashamed of their legs or something to where they should hide them. I just don"t get it. I hate those stupid huge shorts that look like they belong to a giant. You like when your 5 year old son tries to wear your shorts. You can tell they are shorts but they cover most of his legs.
They look like pants that are way too short, like the person is expecting a flood. Sort of the opposite of the '50s look with rolled up jeans.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
I like to wear shorts that are significantly above the knee, and when I wear them, I have a little laugh over "subverting the dominant paradigm". But I have my "formal city" shorts that are almost knee length, my "informal city" shorts that are a couple of inches shorter, and then informal shorts for around the house or hiking, which show my lovely thighs to an admiring world.

Ah, the days when men had legs and weren't afraid to let you see them:

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Koskela View Post
The Western world is still so hamstrung about sexuality, no thanks to and historically because of too much religion. As a man, if I allow wearing short shorts or not to define who I am then sadly I'm not being true to my Self. Sadly, social and religious conditioning accounts for so much abject exclusion and brutal bullying as well as the preposterous notion that deviations from what what the social norm considers masculine must be therefore be gay is still pervasive. It is a wonder incidents of teen suicide are not even higher than they are and why so many others feel isolated and alone. But times they are a changin'! Who wears short shorts? I've been happily married to the woman of my dreams for 43 years and have three great sons. I wear shorts shorts. I've got the legs for them and she loves it! Peace.
It's been rumored that the 11th Commandment was "Thou shall not wear short shorts".

Blaming religion on the negativity toward short shorts is hilarious. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:18 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
You probably meant "Blaming the negativity toward short shorts on religion is hilarious."

It's human nature that's to blame for religion! We want to believe that there's some kind of direction in a random universe, sort of like the way we want dangerous male energy to be constrained by the clothing men wear. Anyway, the quote was "social and religious conditioning"; if you don't like the religious side, think about the social part.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:41 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The shorts I wore for High School Phys Ed back in the Sizties were extremely short -- only a couple of inches down the high; same thing for the basketbal uniforms of the day.

Then in the early Seventies, shorts of this length becane popular for street wear by young women in hot weather. As with brief-type racing swimsuits. "traditional" gym uniforms on a male were viewed as a sign of effeminacy (with the exception that some people stiill slept in them).
This must have depended on where you lived. At UCSD in the late 1970s mid or even upper thigh length shorts were fairly common on the guys. in the case of the latter they would usually be running or workout shorts such as remained common into the early 1990s, certainly not too tight or pulled up too high but still way shorter than anything you'd normally see today. People would go to class or the library in such attire, and nobody cared. The shortest shorts you'd see would be those traditional gym pants you mentioned, or the very short rugby/soccer shorts that were then the norm for those sports. I honestly can't remember anyone criticizing or mocking the guys who did this, as long as it appropriate to the situation.

As always, the women's shorts were still shorter, but there was much, much less of a difference then. Back then if you were a guy, as long as your cheeks weren't hanging out, you were usually good to go.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:57 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post

watch the nba...shorter shorts for men ,,,before the mid '80's

then michael Jordan and others had much longer shorts. in the late '80s.. and that was that

Old 11-01-2015, 01:47 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I hope styles.move.back toward shorter shorts. I hate the long baggy ones. The male body doesn't need to be hidden to that extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty