Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 AM

61,887 posts, read 87,385,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have been in France for over a year, and despite the reputation for having great food, breakfast doesn't seem to be that impressive in France. To me, the vast majority of people just have coffee and some sort of bread (croissant, pain au chocolat, baguette etc.) They are tasty, but it just become monotonous after you eat it morning after morning. And everything is sweet. The lack of choice really makes me disappointed.

As a Chinese person, what I miss most about Chinese cities is the huge variety of breakfast. Some people eat various kind of bread with milk too, but there is also the steamed buns, steamed bun stuffed with juicy pork (xiaolongbao), bean curd soup or soy milk/ deep-fried dough sticks, thin and crispy pancakes (with eggs, green union and some spicy sause), wonton, congee with pickles, they are all very different and suit different people. As a westerner you might not like all of them, but the variety is much better.

None of them is fancy stuff, but the normal breakfast most people eat every morning and is incredibly affordable, widely available in every neighbourhood. In Shanghai for example, 6 xiaolonglong costs under 1 euro.

Why is breakfast so boring in France? Do people want more varieties?
Perhaps only if eating out - at home you can eat whatever your heart desire.
However if you really want bigger selection, I am sure you could find places that would better please your palate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:42 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,304,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
No kebabs in Texas? Think again. Dallas, Houston, Austin are full of immigrants from all over the world.
Probably, but we probably have more mediterranean and turkish people here than over there.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,097,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
How so ? The viennoiseries that suck here ? Otherwise it's basically the same thing. Except they have the weird habit here of eating yogurt in the morning.
I guess it's just my preferences. Their pastries are subpar IMO compared to those in France. They're too hard and sweet, and don't "breathe" freshness like those in France. Their deli meats are also too hard and salty for my taste - at least for breakfast. I am fine with them at other times of the day though. As I am with other aspects of Italian cuisine - I'd eat it all the time for lunch and dinner.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,304,653 times
Yeah, I get what you mean. The pastries are ok here but something is lacking. I really miss the bakeries here. Also I don't think eating meat for breakfast is common here, most people eat cereals, cappuccino, milk and biscuits.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times
I eat yogurt with müsli, white bread with cold cuts, some juice and a lot of coffee. I don't even want to eat rice, soups or some other weird oriental food in the morning. Boke.

---

What this really is about is that breakfast in Europe is a rather new invention. In the agricultural times people just took some old bread, stockfish, fruits (in the summer) or cured ham into the pocket and went to work the fields. The first real meal was lunch.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,128,663 times
I don't think there are any laws governing what you can eat for breakfast in France, just go to the Supermarché and get what you want to eat in the morning.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,743,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I eat yogurt with müsli, white bread with cold cuts, some juice and a lot of coffee. I don't even want to eat rice, soups or some other weird oriental food in the morning. Boke.

---

What this really is about is that breakfast in Europe is a rather new invention. In the agricultural times people just took some old bread, stockfish, fruits (in the summer) or cured ham into the pocket and went to work the fields. The first real meal was lunch.
Do you not think cheese and cold cuts are weird for the "oriental" people??

I never judge French food to be "weird", although I myself almost never drink coffee, or eat "cold cuts", but my point is the lack of options. I of course won't comment about "Finnish food". Trust me, even the poorest "oriental country" doesn't envy Finnish food.

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-27-2017 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 09-26-2017, 09:18 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,590,252 times
Quote:
yes, anything can get boring after a while, including a "full English breakfast", if that means the same bacon, eggs and sausage every day.

And that's exactly my point. in China and possibly much of Asia, breakfast has a lot of varieties. You can have something very different from each other for 15 days without problem. You are not stuck with the same cafe/croissant, or eggs/sausage every day, no matter how good they are.

Yes, I agree it is a cultural difference. The French just don't think breakfast is a big deal. But my point stands: it is boring and has too few varieties, and more varieties are always a good thing, because I don't think all 67M people are all 100% happy with the same option every day.
That's why I like cities in Canada and the US for breakfast. You can have basically anything you want, at home or choosing a restaurant.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:20 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,743,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I don't think there are any laws governing what you can eat for breakfast in France, just go to the Supermarché and get what you want to eat in the morning.
true but nothing is freshly made the same morning (as the examples I gave for China), is it?

Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,097,181 times
Quote:
true but nothing is freshly made the same morning (as the examples I gave for China), is it?
Well, if you make it for yourself at home I guess it would be, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe